Author Topic: Muzzys ZX14 full system installed, and flys swatted  (Read 4651 times)

Offline Forty9rlifer

Muzzys ZX14 full system installed, and flys swatted
« on: April 29, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
Got everything installed couple weekends ago and am loving all the power and new found bottom end! Install was pretty straight forward, although bending the pipe down while placing a jack under the header didn't have much positive effect. I will probably take off the mid pipe here soon and put a slight bend in it at my work using a press or tube bender, otherwise most of the angle difference is at the header mounts at the head and at the pipe joints.

Big props to whoever came up with the idea of heating up a sacrificial screwdriver, it worked really well and pulling the flies was a breeze. I can't see why everyone doesn't pull these things, couldn't have taken more than 30 minutes start to finish.

On a side note I also installed heli bar risers with grab on grip "grip puppies" and can ride without pain now. The grip puppies reduce the affect of the heated grips by roughly 30 to 40 percent, but they still do the job enough for me.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Muzzys ZX14 full system installed, and flys swatted
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »
Another happy camper!!  :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
Yeah, now you have the 1400 cc bike you bought in the first place, eh?

Who was that devilishly handsome cretin who came up with the 'red' screwdriver thingy? Way back in the early days there was some talk about heating the screws with a soldering iron but that won't get anywhere near enough temperature at the screw stud (easy!) to attack the bond of the locking material. The temp. has to be brought to 350F minimum to reduce the locking strength by 50% or more and the only way to do that is to introduce a lot of heat at high temperature to the screw head itself. Unless one is willing to heat the throttle plate shaft to over 350F ..... with a torch.  :(

Brian

Got everything installed couple weekends ago and am loving all the power and new found bottom end! Install was pretty straight forward, although bending the pipe down while placing a jack under the header didn't have much positive effect. I will probably take off the mid pipe here soon and put a slight bend in it at my work using a press or tube bender, otherwise most of the angle difference is at the header mounts at the head and at the pipe joints.

Big props to whoever came up with the idea of heating up a sacrificial screwdriver, it worked really well and pulling the flies was a breeze. I can't see why everyone doesn't pull these things, couldn't have taken more than 30 minutes start to finish.

On a side note I also installed heli bar risers with grab on grip "grip puppies" and can ride without pain now. The grip puppies reduce the affect of the heated grips by roughly 30 to 40 percent, but they still do the job enough for me.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:38:03 PM »
Grats on the Muzzys bro!  8) :chugbeer:

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »
so your traction control is gone now too ??

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »
I cannot answer for the OP but I can say.... no, the traction control still works. The bike's ECU uses the secondary butterflies (the 'flies), fuel delivery and spark to control traction. Once the 'flies are removed, the operation of the T.C. may be slightly different (there is some debate on that topic) but the ECU can still control engine power output with fuel and spark alone. And just to add, the secondaries cannot shut the engine down anywhere near, say, idle power because they pass too much air even when fully closed (they are considerably smaller than the throttle body they fit into) but power can be reduced to zero either by withholding fuel, all the way to NO fuel if needed, and retarding the timing or eliminating the spark entirely (which will again stop the production of all power output).

Brian

so your traction control is gone now too ??
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Forty9rlifer

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »
Rather than start a new thread, figured I'd just comment here on this one. Did a few hundred miles yesterday including 20 or so miles of gravel fire roads around Timothy Lake on Mount Hood yesterday. And I can report that the traction control works flawlessly despite my repeated attempts at Tom foolery. The intervention doesn't feel abrupt to me at all. 

I feel confident in saying that the fly pulling doubter arguments don't hold much weight IMO, and I would absolutely recommend this mod for everyone, weather your bike is bone stock or heavily modded. And as far as fueling concerns go my map from fuel moto with full system and flies removed only has fuel taken out in varying percentages throughout the rev range, so I don't see how a stock bike with flies pulled would have any problems

Thanks, Craig
13 C14
07 midnight Warrior

Offline luxx

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 07:06:39 AM »
Just to make sure I am on the path to max-power; to affect the install of the Muzzy 4-2-2 (dual exhaust) system I would need
1. Muzzy 4-2-2 system
2. Power Commander V with Muzzy map installed (they said they would put it on the unit with no extra cost)
3. Remove secondary flys?
4. New center stand modified
5. Set of exhaust crush washers

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 08:42:40 AM »
Just to make sure I am on the path to max-power; to affect the install of the Muzzy 4-2-2 (dual exhaust) system I would need
1. Muzzy 4-2-2 system
2. Power Commander V with Muzzy map installed (they said they would put it on the unit with no extra cost)

Luxx,
FYI, If you're going to go this route I have items #1 and #4 on your list that I think I'll be selling in a week or so...
 :-\

pm me if you're interested.  :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
1. Muzzy 4-2-2 system
6. ZX14 Throttle Bodies
7.  Auto Tune kit from Power Commander

I left off the forced induction stuff. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
7.  Auto Tune kit from Power Commander

I left off the forced induction stuff.

Yeah, if I were going that crazy and spending that kind of money and time, I would definitely want an auto-tune.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc