Author Topic: Camping in the Upper (and lower) Peninsula later this month  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
I wasn't sure I was gonna be able to make it due to dealing with the VA and Army about my medical board process.  But it looks like the stars have aligned and I will be able to make a trip that I have had on my bucket list for a couple years.  I will be taking off on Friday the 20th and heading north towards Frankfort, MI.  That will be a 750 mile day of nearly all slab to cover ground in a timely fashion.  Not really my cup of tea but at least the C14 is ready for anything.

My plan is to camp for the duration of the trip which includes stops at Frankfort, Mackinaw, Marquette Township, and Porcupine Mountain State Park.  I will head south through Wisconsin Monday morning and will run slab back home for another 750+ mile trip.  All in all I should be around 2600 miles if I see everything that I have planned to.  I will try to take pictures for a ride report but I always say that before every trip and I rarely ever follow through. 

If anyone is in the area and would like to ride for a day or meet up for a couple beers in the evening just shoot me a PM and we will work something out.  Now I need to get some new PR2's put on since I know my Angels wouldn't make it for the whole trip. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Camping in the Upper (and lower) Peninsula later this month
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »
AWESOME!  Wish I was over that way I'd join you on this venture 'fo 'sho!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »
How long are you going to be out?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »
Black flies and mosquito's!!!!!!! :o  It is pretty but awfully flat......I hate flat.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
How long are you going to be out?

Leaving Friday the 20th and returning on Monday the 23rd.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
Black flies and mosquito's!!!!!!! :o  It is pretty but awfully flat......I hate flat.

I was also thinking about the Rockies but that would be a realllllly long trip for a four day weekend.  I know that I wanted to try and ride in a cooler climate, hopefully it will be more like 80's instead of the 100-105 that we have been having recently here in Missouri.

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »
Jeremy, sounds like you have tight schedule.  It's been a few years, but if I remember correctly just south of the Mackinac bridge is Lake Shore Drive? But there is scenery, and several light houses.  Very pretty!  Also if you are in Wisconsin, be sure to pick up some FRESH cheese curds!  You won't be disappointed!  Assuming of course you like cheese!  Oh yeah, the river road (hwy 35) from Prescot WI to Dubuque IA is worth EVERY (s)mile. 

I wasn't sure I was gonna be able to make it due to dealing with the VA and Army about my medical board process.  But it looks like the stars have aligned and I will be able to make a trip that I have had on my bucket list for a couple years.  I will be taking off on Friday the 20th and heading north towards Frankfort, MI.  That will be a 750 mile day of nearly all slab to cover ground in a timely fashion.  Not really my cup of tea but at least the C14 is ready for anything.

My plan is to camp for the duration of the trip which includes stops at Frankfort, Mackinaw, Marquette Township, and Porcupine Mountain State Park.  I will head south through Wisconsin Monday morning and will run slab back home for another 750+ mile trip.  All in all I should be around 2600 miles if I see everything that I have planned to.  I will try to take pictures for a ride report but I always say that before every trip and I rarely ever follow through. 

If anyone is in the area and would like to ride for a day or meet up for a couple beers in the evening just shoot me a PM and we will work something out.  Now I need to get some new PR2's put on since I know my Angels wouldn't make it for the whole trip.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 05:39:35 AM »
Day 1 and day 4 will be long days so I'm not sure how many back roads I will be able to hit but I will definitely try to hit HWY 35 and cheese curds were already on my list.   ;D

Thanks also for the Lake Shore Drive info.  I will be camping there on my second night I believe and should have plenty of time to check the area out to make sure that their beer is horrible and their women are ugly.   ;D

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:01:20 AM »
Thats a few miles in not that many days. Remember, don't look down over the Mackinaw bridge! ;D If I remember, theres only like 4 roads in the whole of UP, they are all pretty good, straight, smooth. Eat some local fish. Hit a few lighthouses. Stay away from Milwaukee and Chicago unless you love traffic.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:22:29 AM »
Thats a few miles in not that many days. Remember, don't look down over the Mackinaw bridge! ;D If I remember, theres only like 4 roads in the whole of UP, they are all pretty good, straight, smooth. Eat some local fish. Hit a few lighthouses. Stay away from Milwaukee and Chicago unless you love traffic.

Definitely gonna try to avoid traffic.  I will be bypassing Chigago on the trip north and stopping for lunch with a friend in South Bend.  I look forward to lots of miles and lots of new sights with some relaxing views of the Great Lakes thrown in for good measure.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »

The wife & I just spent the past couple of days over near Holland & like most of Michigan's hwys, I-196/US31 was under construction for a couple of miles(around the 25-30m.m. IIRC).
 Although Google maps says the routes north from S.B. to Frankfort are only 20 minutes & 20 miles different, I'd take the US31 route vs. the US31/196/US131/M115 route.
 US31 thru the Holland area north to Grand Haven will impede rapid travel a bit as it's a local divided hwy mixed w/ stop lights, but riding US31 north & taking M22 north from Manistee is more enjoyable(besides, M22 has the views, especially the Arcadia Bluffs about 5 miles north of Arcadia(  http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2502_Arcadias_North_Bluff_The_Sunset_Over_Look ), IMO, than slabbing it to US131 north from Grand Rapids & splitting off on M115 at Cadillac & heading into Frankfort from there. However, there are passing lanes on M115, but the occasionally numerous local/sheriff/state patrols along that route are detrimental to heavy throttle hands, not to mention the forest rats that are lurking about  ::)
 If you've got enough time, continue to follow M22 north from Frankfort around the little finger into Traverse City, connecting w/ US31 north again into Petosky & another of the few jewels of Michigan M119(watch for the secluded driveways & sand on the road). Be sure to make a stop at Leggs Inn in Cross Village & enjoy a beverage & or meal overlooking the big lake from their patio. http://www.legsinn.com/
 From Cross Village, continue north along LakeShore Dr. to Lakeview Rd. east(changes to Gill Rd.) & back to US31 again. Heading north brings you to Mackinaw City & the BRIDGE. Once across, & if you're heading west along US2, make a stop at Gustafson's for some of the best smoked fish & beef jerky here in the states!
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/300/gustafsons-smoked-fish-and-beef-jerky
 That's all I can recommend, as it's been 12 yrs. since I've been west of there.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
Thanks for all the great info DeansZG. 

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »
Been just as hot up north as down south, maybe even hotter at times.......just an fyi. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »
Been just as hot up north as down south, maybe even hotter at times.......just an fyi. ;)

The weather channel is showing any where from the mid 70's- 80's for highs in the extended forecast.  Sounds pretty nice to me compared to the 104 that I saw earlier today.  I won't be staying anywhere in the southern part of the state, my first night I am camping north of Muskegon. 

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »
The weather channel is showing any where from the mid 70's- 80's for highs in the extended forecast.  Sounds pretty nice to me compared to the 104 that I saw earlier today.  I won't be staying anywhere in the southern part of the state, my first night I am camping north of Muskegon.

Have fun.....still too boring and flat up there "on-road" IMHO....now off-road is INCREDIBLE up there! :o  Oh and I am a BUCKEYE, so Michigan aint real high on my list of places to visit. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 06:46:11 PM »
Day 1 and day 4 will be long days so I'm not sure how many back roads I will be able to hit but I will definitely try to hit HWY 35 and cheese curds were already on my list.  ;D

Thanks also for the Lake Shore Drive info.  I will be camping there on my second night I believe and should have plenty of time to check the area out to make sure that their beer is horrible and their women are ugly.   ;D
You are talking deep fried cheese curds, right? A Sconi delicacy.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 06:57:15 PM »
I forgot. Whilst running around up there, look for this at a "party" store:

It does not suck.
America's Seaplane City
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 01:27:54 PM »
You are talking deep fried cheese curds, right? A Sconi delicacy.

I like dem curds anyway you present them.  Fried, fresh, wrapped, or floating!  I've had them just about every way you can imagine!  Fresh is my favorite!  Can't beat the squeak!  FRESH cheese curds are squeaky when you eat them. The not so fresh don't squeak...
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Beamer

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 05:43:12 AM »
Well I myself grew up in the northern lower peninsula, and have spent ALLOT of time in the U.P.

There is fabulous riding in Michigan, you just have to know where to go. The west side of the state, most particularly from Whitehall and to the North near Lake Michigan can provide allot of scenic, curvy, and low traffic riding. Ride Highway 31 all the way North to Harbor Springs and then take M-119. IMO - one of the top 2 or 3 best roads that I have ridden in the 10 years I have been riding.

Now, in the U.P., you have to realize that it is like taking a step back in time 20 years. The highways that are there, we built away from the towns and cities as to make it for faster commuting and better flowing traffic. The 2 big highways that go east & west are US-2 (runs along the south side of the the UP) and M-28 (which runs basically along the north side). Nothing really to be seen along these two roads. The best riding that the U.P. has to offer is in the Keweenaw Peninsula, the Porcupine Mountains, and the West / South West end of the U.P. around Iron Mountain, Gwinn, Iron River Area. There is allot of great riding there, it's just not on the major roads.

As far as food and viddles. You HAVE to get a local made Pasties (Lehto's Pasty Shop about 2 miles west of St. Ignace right after you cross the bridge are the best Pasties in the U.P.). It is a Irish Pot-Pie bascially, and is a UP tradition. Also, if you make it that far, the best cinnamon buns in the world are to be had at the Hill Top Bakery in L'anse (http://www.sweetroll.com/). If you make it to the Keweenaw, swing into the Gay Bar (in the town of Gay, MI) and dine on the 12" Footlong Hotdog

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »

M26 on the Keeweenaw is a right decent road. A lot of it right next to Superior. Also, M35, south of M28, not far from Marquette/Negaunee is excellent, with a cheap, nice town park to camp at somewhere on it, I think in Palmer, if your plans change.

Watch for forest rats, they are thick as thieves up there. And do try a pasty. Yummy.
America's Seaplane City