Author Topic: clutch and brake fluid question  (Read 19597 times)

Offline rumblecow

Re: clutch and brake fluid question
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
Does the cowling need removed to access the clutch bleeder?  I looked under Constance's skirt tonight to see if I could see it but could not.
......... =o&o>

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »
You know, I just did mine...I did remove the left upper cowling to get to mine but that's all I did.  That's on an 08.  Have no idea on 10 or above.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »
You know, I just did mine...I did remove the left upper cowling to get to mine but that's all I did.  That's on an 08.  Have no idea on 10 or above.

Bummer.  I don't think I want to tackle this myself then.  I don't have much patients fitting plastic bits together.

Thanks for the info.
......... =o&o>

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
I don't believe you have to take off the tupperware to get to the clutch bleeder. It's right in front of and above the shifter. Right by the Idle adjuster.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 08:05:22 PM »
I like the extra room.  Plus I have the foam heat blockers.  I guess you could do it without taking a panel off but it's so easy to get the extra room, why not.  It's no big whup to take it off and put it back.  Whatever floats yer boat.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 04:12:05 AM »
And don't forget that there are two bleeders on the back brake, one on the inside and one on the outside of the caliper.

:o  oopsies. well something else to do after work today. did the front, clutch, and "outside" rear about a week ago. heh

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 04:31:31 AM »
I don't believe you have to take off the tupperware to get to the clutch bleeder. It's right in front of and above the shifter. Right by the Idle adjuster.

+1  No need to remove any plastic to bleed the clutch.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
Show off!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »
 ;D

I can do the exhaust header nuts too

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
Aaaaaargh!

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »
+1  No need to remove any plastic to bleed the clutch.

:goodpost:  I just did mine yesterday and no need to remove any Tupperware unless your bored and just need something extra to do...

Funny thing though intermittently my garage door would close when pulling in the clutch lever during the bleeding process...  I was very surprised and thought it must be a neighbor or something playing a joke on me but nope.  It would happen over and over only when pulling in the clutch lever... I took the key fob and cell phone in the house to ensure they were not the problem and it continued whenever I pulled in the clutch.  I just gave up and unplugged the garage door opener until I completed the job.  Crazy electronic things!!  lol

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 05:10:25 PM »
You just want people to go in their garage and pull the clutch lever to see if the doors go up or down, don't you?  Well, I tried and they didn't go up or down.  I hope you are happy!  ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2012, 04:17:59 AM »
You just want people to go in their garage and pull the clutch lever to see if the doors go up or down, don't you?  Well, I tried and they didn't go up or down.  I hope you are happy!  ;)

:rotflmao:

Sucker!!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 04:19:22 AM »
:goodpost:  I just did mine yesterday and no need to remove any Tupperware unless your bored and just need something extra to do...

Funny thing though intermittently my garage door would close when pulling in the clutch lever during the bleeding process...  I was very surprised and thought it must be a neighbor or something playing a joke on me but nope.  It would happen over and over only when pulling in the clutch lever... I took the key fob and cell phone in the house to ensure they were not the problem and it continued whenever I pulled in the clutch.  I just gave up and unplugged the garage door opener until I completed the job.  Crazy electronic things!!  lol

That's a rare optional factory feature. Consider yourself lucky!

Now tell us, does it work from outside the garage too?

MGvalerio

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »
I believe the manual says change the clutch and brake fluid every two years. I noticed on my morning ride, that the color of the brake fluid still looks clear while looking at it through the little site window. but the clutch fluid is very dark, almost black looking through the plastic window.
only had the bike for 10 month, almost 10k miles on it.
should the clutch fluid be changed more often or just go the two years?

http://youtu.be/cegdOZfo-Qg

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »
That's a rare optional factory feature. Consider yourself lucky!

Now tell us, does it work from outside the garage too?

Nope won't do it outside the garage and now that Iv'e unplugged the opener for awhile the problem has not reappeared.  Very strange.....

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »
Nope won't do it outside the garage and now that Iv'e unplugged the opener for awhile the problem has not reappeared.  Very strange.....

I don't suppose you've re-wired you garage door opener so it works from the high beam push to pass switch did you?

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »

Was the remote for the opener in a pocket that you forgot about (pushing it randomly while working the lever)?  Or maybe someone is just messing with you...
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 04:26:34 AM »

Your SO wasn't giggling for no apparent reason when you got back in the house was she?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 05:03:17 AM »
Your SO wasn't giggling for no apparent reason when you got back in the house was she?

:offtopic:

A while back I ended up replacing the garage door opener because the old one kept messing with the wife; I could not find nothing wrong with the old one whatsoever and that just pissed her off to no end..... She has trouble with garden hoses too though!  :rotflmao:
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010