Author Topic: Need Help ASAP to get on the road....  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Jimmy Patriot

Need Help ASAP to get on the road....
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:25:46 AM »
So I'm supposed to leave town on the bike here at the end of the day.  My instrument cluster has been rattling and buzzing pretty badly, so I decided to get in there and tighten i t up.  I pull the plastic cover off under the windshield which grants access to the three bolts securing the instruments.... they are all loose with lots of slop between the rubber and nut.  I put my socket on the top one to tighten it and it's like the bolt is made out of tinfoil.  It just breaks off.  So my question is how are these bolts secured from inside of the instrument cluster?  Can I just open up the iinstruments house and back the bolt out from the inside or are those 3 bolts more complicated than that.  I'm not even gonna try to attempt to tighten the other 2 till I know how to fix this one and the others if they break also.  I'd hate to have to cancel my weekend and take this in next week.

One of the 2 body clips holding the plastic cover in also disintegrated on me so now I have a very floppy instrument cluster with the top bolt snapped off and not able to to secure the cover.  At the very least I think the dealer will have one of the body panel plastic rivets to button it back up and stick something in there to keep the cluster from moving too much, but if it's an easy fix on the inside.... I'd like to get it tightened up and hit the road. 
2009 C-14 ABS

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Need Help ASAP to get on the road....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:50:02 AM »
Can't help with dis-assembly / re-assembly of the instrument cluster since I haven't done that (yet), but I know how things like that go, and would suggest not going there when you're planning on leaving for a road trip this afternoon.

The bolt is probably pressed into the back half of the plastic housing of the cluster, unless there's a lock nut on the outside to hold it in place.  You could try poking the end of the broken bolt to see if it's loose.

I would say don't worry about it until you get back, because it's probably not going anywhere (the bolt head or the cluster).  Other than annoying you while you ride, it should be fine.  Not like it's going to fall off.

There is a post on here somewhere (almost remember by who), where they shimmed the cluster mount bolts to remove some of that play.  There were some pictures of a dis-assembled cluster on here, but now that I think about it, they were probably on the pre-crashed site.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Jimmy Patriot

Re: Need Help ASAP to get on the road....
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:30:27 AM »
Can't help with dis-assembly / re-assembly of the instrument cluster since I haven't done that (yet), but I know how things like that go, and would suggest not going there when you're planning on leaving for a road trip this afternoon.

The bolt is probably pressed into the back half of the plastic housing of the cluster, unless there's a lock nut on the outside to hold it in place.  You could try poking the end of the broken bolt to see if it's loose.

I would say don't worry about it until you get back, because it's probably not going anywhere (the bolt head or the cluster).  Other than annoying you while you ride, it should be fine.  Not like it's going to fall off.

There is a post on here somewhere (almost remember by who), where they shimmed the cluster mount bolts to remove some of that play.  There were some pictures of a dis-assembled cluster on here, but now that I think about it, they were probably on the pre-crashed site.

Hmmmm..... maybe that is all the further they tighten and the slop is all the tighter its supposed to get without shimming.  What good is mounting it into rubber if it can't even press into it for dampening?  It behaved like it was all the further the nut would turn and it's such a small bolt it broke as soon as it turned the ratchet.  They have some rivets in so I'll just button it and stuff some foam in the top.... enjoy my ride and worry about how the bolts are handled on the inside when I get back.
2009 C-14 ABS