Author Topic: gas cap key hole corrosion  (Read 15809 times)

Offline orangewingnut

gas cap key hole corrosion
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
Hello.

i have an  '11 concours. Took a little spin to Blacksburg, Va from my home in NJ last week. It was the first time i had been on the bike for a few weeks due to work and the summer heat. When i stopped for gas, i removed the large ignition key and when i went to open the gas cap, it was hard going in and then wouldn't turn. When i tried to force it, the plastic handle started to rotate around the key. I noticed the key hole looked corroded and pitted. I finally got it open and it did get slightly easier although never seemed right as the key never popped back to vertical when i closed the cap.

I sprayed the keyhole with wd-4o when i got home (i know it's not the best thing to use) and was able to loosen it up a bit.
The only thing i can think of is that after washing the bike, water got under the tab that covers the keyhole and went to work corroding the lock,

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: gas cap key hole corrosion
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »
In the old days we had a report or two of this condition.  One of them was from a member in SC, (Tjhess?).  Don't remember the outcome.  I would take it to the dealer first to see if they'll fix it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »
My bike is an 08 and the lock became a little hard to turn in 2009 and was slightly corroded.  Since than one a year I apply a few drops of oil to the lock and than rotate the key several times to work the oil in. I than apply a nother drop or two.  If you do this with the cap in position the excess oil will drop in to the gas tank(this will not cause any problems as its only a drop or two).  I have not had any problems since.  Please note that I usually depress the gas cap when turning the key to releive the pressure on the lock mechanisim.  I hope this helps.

Fred

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »
I have a 2011.  When i went to open the gas cap, it was hard going in and then wouldn't turn. When i tried to force it, the plastic handle started to rotate around the key. I noticed the key hole looked corroded and pitted. I finally got it open and it did get slightly easier although never seemed right as the key never popped back to vertical when i closed the cap.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes.  The same thing on my 2011.  There is even a kind of white debris that is around the keyhole metal.  It is getting harder and harder to get the key in and out and turn the lock.  Has been present for over a year.  Haven't done anything about it yet.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »
i removed the large ignition key

:yikes:   :loco:   ;)

Offline ugocon

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »
I'm f....g lazy so I don't wash my bike, perhaps once a year or so...  ;D (my car even every couple of years...)
But this comes in handy because reduces the risk of corrosion!  ;)
I have seen few Harleys that have discovered rust underneath plates or tanks or other hidden spots that are reached by high pressure water.
And you know that Harley people wash their bikes a lot!
(BTW even when I had my HD I didn't wash it! ;) )

I'l carefully watch around the gas cap, anyway: you never know, also because rain IS water!  :o
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
I'm f....g lazy so I don't wash my bike, perhaps once a year or so...  ;D (my car even every couple of years...)
But this comes in handy because reduces the risk of corrosion!  ;)

+1.  No good can come from washing the bike...  I knew that there were other reasons besides laziness.  Thanks!  :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »
I only wash mine once a year. I ride it all spring, summer and fall and I have the same corrosion problem you have. The rain gets in it causes it. Just add a bit of graphite power or a couple of drops of oil as suggested above. I also ad a squirt of wd-40 to the moving parts inside the tank.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
Happened to my '09 in Phoenix.

Not so sure water is to blame.   ;)

When it gets sticky I clean it up with WD-40. Cap slightly open with a clean rag underneath to keep runoff out of the tank.
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline orangewingnut

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 07:20:17 PM »
Yes.  The same thing on my 2011.  There is even a kind of white debris that is around the keyhole metal.  It is getting harder and harder to get the key in and out and turn the lock.  Has been present for over a year.  Haven't done anything about it yet.

yup, mine also had the white debris. I'm thinking of replacing my gas cap with one of those non-locking ones. It's kind of a pain to have to unlock it for fill ups.

Bill

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:00:54 PM »
yup, mine also had the white debris.

I wonder what is going on?!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
Some think it has to do with ethanol fuel.  Some think it's in the air.  Some think the metal is crap.  Some think it has to do with aliens.  I'm leaning towards the aliens myself. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »
Some think it has to do with ethanol fuel.  Some think it's in the air.  Some think the metal is crap.  Some think it has to do with aliens.  I'm leaning towards the aliens myself.
^^^that^^^
or maybe aliens

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »
every kawasaki bike i've owned does this. oiling the keyhole doesn't work for long either, the petrol fumes probably dilute the oil and i'll be back at square one very soon. i just oil it once a month these days.
pushing down on the cap before turning the key helps too.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 05:58:16 AM »

Would that be a lean to the left or the right?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »
Floundering or is it Flip-Flopping????

Anyway,  back on topic. I replaced my fuel cap with a billit alu non-locking cap.
I just bumped the thread where this was discussed. So check it out in the C14 Accessories section.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline CitrusC14

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 07:06:30 AM »
I've had this happen too on my '11.  Little wd-40 worked it loose then followed it with a graphite spray.  I believe it happened from a combination of water (rain and/or washing), fuel vapors and the dis-similar metal the lock/cap assembly is made from.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 07:38:03 AM »
Would that be a lean to the left or the right?

Depends on what side of the bike I'm standing next to...although typically I would be looking up to the sky....Darn pesky aliens screwed up my fuel filler again!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »
every kawasaki bike i've owned does this. oiling the keyhole doesn't work for long either, the petrol fumes probably dilute the oil and i'll be back at square one very soon. i just oil it once a month these days.
pushing down on the cap before turning the key helps too.

My '98 ZX9r didn't, but my Zx14 and C14 both did it.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline pistole

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »

- do cut some spare keys for the fuel cap and panniers.

- that way the knob-key never needs to be removed

- and yes , some oil in the locks gently worked into the action with the key helps alot