Author Topic: Close one today!  (Read 6577 times)

Offline ronski

Close one today!
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »
On my way home from work, I'm approaching a light when it turns yellow. I'm far enough away not to make it thru so I have to make a hard stop. The clown behind me thinks I'm going to gas it and go so he actually speeds up to try and make it thru too (SOP here in Florida).
He wasn't expecting me to actually stop--that's unheard of!!!

The screeching of his brakes was so close that I was confused into thinking it was my own tires-- confused because I was hearing this screeching but I had no feeling of skid. Moments later I'm enveloped in the tire smoke.

I turn around and his car is sideways, just inches from my rear tire.... :o

Just a few minutes later and I would have my daughter on the back after picking her up from school....
sadly bikeless..... but I'm working on that!

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Close one today!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »
 :yikes:

Close indeed!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
Prior to braking I immediately check my 6 and make sure it stays clear until there are at least two cars stopped behind me.  Glad it all worked out.

Offline Axxman

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
Prior to braking I immediately check my 6 and make sure it stays clear until there are at least two cars stopped behind me.  Glad it all worked out.

I was just thinking the same thing.
Jay
09 Concours 14 ABS
Candy Diamond Red

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »

Me too, it's become an automatic habit for me.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »
dont stop at yellow lights.   most people go thru yellow lights as you learned.

Flathead

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 04:20:53 PM »

Offline Motor Head

• Resurected Concours, $260 Purchase & Counting
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »
 Wow good to here that you were not hit. I wonder if the guy was on the phone, or just staring up at the light.
 I got accordioned years ago by someone just staring up at the light, trying to make it. 5 cars in all, I was the 3rd to get it. Everyone stopped but that one guy, he had hit the throttle and not the brakes trying to make it.  I had just watched in the rear view mirror, with the two cars behind me stopped, took my eyes off the mirror and whack!!!! That would have been game over on a bike. Then the guy had no insurance, and spent the next three years paying everyone off.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »
Having been rearended twice in two cars prior I always watch behind me.... That said I do worry about cars behind me hitting me which is why I went with the Hyperlites.  Still need to do some of the black reflective tape though.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
I watched someone hit my dad like that. I was riding with my grandfather and we were following my dad and little brother on his KZ900.  Grandpa and I were on a kz650.

Anyway, some guy hit the back of my dads bike. I guess he did not see the bike because he was reading a Hustler Magazine.

We stopped. I jumped off the kz 650 and started punching the drivers window. The window shattered and the punches started hitting the driver.   The driver got a ticket and I was asked not to do that again. The officer did say this with a smile on his face....

Offline mike

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 06:34:23 PM »
Glad you're ok....

Offline dgshaffer

• Don Shaffer
    • My photos
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 04:00:13 AM »
Yup, keep your eyes on your mirrors! Situational awareness saves lives (Loud Pipes just make noise).

Glad this turned out the way it did. Good for you!
Don Shaffer
2011 Connie, Blazing Black!, 2009 BMW K1300GT,
2007 Triumph Bonneville America
My Photos

Offline ronski

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
It was one of those moments where you have to make a choice in an instant--gas it and go thru a light that will obviously be red when you cross the line , or make a quick stop.
We've all been there in a cage or on a bike.

I chose to stop--isn't that what you are supposed to do when a light changes to yellow?
I had just been given a traffic warning last month for doing this exact same thing in my truck-- that time I chose to gas it. That warning has made me a little gun shy about blowing a yellow light.

"Checking my six" never entered the equation, it wouldn't have changed anything anyways. The other choice would have meant going into an intersection with traffic...

The only thing that saved me from impact was the sound-- when I heard the screech, I instinctively let off the brakes a bit thinking it was me. That lengthened my stopping distance an additional few feet. Had I kept on the brakes all the way to a full stop, he would have hit me.

Sometimes, having all the right gear, extra lighting etc... still isn't enough when the other guy makes a bad choice....

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »
It was one of those moments where you have to make a choice in an instant--gas it and go thru a light that will obviously be red when you cross the line , or make a quick stop.
We've all been there in a cage or on a bike.

I chose to stop--isn't that what you are supposed to do when a light changes to yellow?I had just been given a traffic warning last month for doing this exact same thing in my truck-- that time I chose to gas it. That warning has made me a little gun shy about blowing a yellow light.

"Checking my six" never entered the equation, it wouldn't have changed anything anyways. The other choice would have meant going into an intersection with traffic...

The only thing that saved me from impact was the sound-- when I heard the screech, I instinctively let off the brakes a bit thinking it was me. That lengthened my stopping distance an additional few feet. Had I kept on the brakes all the way to a full stop, he would have hit me.

Sometimes, having all the right gear, extra lighting etc... still isn't enough when the other guy makes a bad choice....

Sorry to be blunt, but your highlighted comments make me question your judgement and skills.  You should never be surprised by a yellow light.  You should not be surprised by a vehicle behind you.  You should be checking your mirrors regularly and especially in situations where you may need to evade or stop.  When the time for action arrives, the time for preparation has passed.  You weren't prepared, you were fortunate.  Although the "other guy" was in error, your decisions almost cost you.   A wise rider tries to stay aware of his safety bubble in all directions and rides accordingly.

I'm glad it turned out well.  Thanks for sharing.  And I hope you actually wind up learning something besides "stuff happens".  May I recommend "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough?
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »
I'm sorry Ron but lt1 is right.

Situational awareness, you should have already known about the car behind you and you should have formulated a plan as you approached the intersection. You always have to play the 'what if' game in your head...

I'm glad that you're ok this time but the next time you may not be. It's in your hands.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
One step further in my case, I don't use a motorcycle for commuting. I think roadways that are crowded with motorists trying to meet a get-to-work schedule are too dangerous for me, no matter how careful or aware I am.

Commuting for me in Ottawa is by bicycle, on segregated bike paths (for the most part) or bus in the winter. The motorbikes are recreational vehicles only for fun.

BTW, on the EX250 board, they posted a road fatality map
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/nov/22/us-road-accident-casualties
for the US. I was gladdened to see that my yearly BRP/Skyline Drive trek is relatively safe. It's a purely recreational road with no trucks/commercial traffic and no commuting (except around Roanoke).
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
That's a very informative website George, thank you. I use my bike for commuting and pleasure (it makes commuting more of a pleasure too). I was very happy to see that the back roads that I take to and from work did not had a single MC fatality listed.

Offline Rhino

• Arena

Offline ronski

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »
you know, I was about to get all pissed off and fire off a snooty reply, but after heading into the Plant and doing some re-piping on my boiler, I realized he is exactly correct. I am right at that stage (2-3 years of riding) where there is a peak in accidents due to complacency--nothing has happened yet, so nothing will, right?
This is my wake up call. I have that book and I need to read it again. It's time, after all it's not just me on the bike most times....

I'm sorry Ron but lt1 is right.

Situational awareness, you should have already known about the car behind you and you should have formulated a plan as you approached the intersection. You always have to play the 'what if' game in your head...

I'm glad that you're ok this time but the next time you may not be. It's in your hands.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »
you know, I was about to get all pissed off and fire off a snooty reply, but after heading into the Plant and doing some re-piping on my boiler, I realized he is exactly correct. I am right at that stage (2-3 years of riding) where there is a peak in accidents due to complacency--nothing has happened yet, so nothing will, right?
This is my wake up call. I have that book and I need to read it again. It's time, after all it's not just me on the bike most times....

Same years experience for me, and same thing I need to be better about as well.  I'm a commuter as well (85 miles round trip).  I also have almost been rear-ended...same scenario, and same deal...didn't know somebody was behind me.  Like you, I survived...but I shoulda known he was behind me and had an exit strategy planned.  An old mentor of mine once told me "take every bit of advice and criticism as a piece of gold, whether you agree with it or not."  In this case I agree...and you are not alone.  We all started somewhere on our cycle journey of learning.
Will