Author Topic: How much should I leave for a tip and the new math...  (Read 7731 times)

Offline Charlie747

Re: How much should I leave for a tip and the new math...
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
Wow..............we have a 20% government sales tax called VAT (value added tax) applied to most sales and products. In other parts of Europe its a bigger %.................so we as a nation don't normally tip unless exceptional quality and service.  Its also common for a 10% + service charge to be added to your bill  :popcorn:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »
I was just curious if it was happening in more than one location.
That link I posted isn't even a good example.
Yeah I got that, sort of an fyi post on your part.   :goodpost:
I was more just responding to the post in that the GA location was pretty much in line with my tipping practices and I'm not sure what that that poster was so outraged about. It seemed that the numbers (pre sales tax) were pretty accurate if perhaps rounded to the nearest ten cents for easier addition. Not like Conrad's experience at all.
I often wonder how many (restaurant customers) can't add the bill right even when presented with the percentages.
I've most likely spent too much time on this because I'm procrastinating going out to the garage to remove wheels and change tires.  :P

..as for Brian wanting us to glue coins to the table......well he's just mad about his gas problem and wants us to take it out on the poor waitstaff.  ;)

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »
Yeah my response was more a comment on my post than yours.
My example sucked.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »
No, no, no... not to the table but to the bottom of the plate(s) which you turn upside down. This gives the waitstaff time to take the plate(s) into the kitchen and work out HOW to get the coins off the plates. Gluing the coins onto the table would be in bad taste because 1) there would not be ample time for the server (and friends) to work the problem out, 2) it would almost certainly damage restaurant property (of value well beyond a plate or two) and 3) get in the way of seating the next patrons at that table. Gluing the tip to the table is just plain mean and I am surprised you would stoop so low Marty....

:rotflmao:

Brian

<snip>

..as for Brian wanting us to glue coins to the table......well he's just mad about his gas problem and wants us to take it out on the poor waitstaff.  ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 04:52:54 AM »
Personally I don't care for the whole idea of tipping anyway.  pay them a decent wage, charge me a fair price, and be done with it.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 04:54:01 AM »
Upon further review, the call on the field has been reversed...    :-[

It appears that I was mistaken (glad I got that out of the way for 2015!   ;)).

I had a coupon for a free appetizer and the app. that we selected was $9.99. The price of the appetizer was included in the subtotal and figured into the computer generated calculation for the tip, not sure how the sales tax was included in that calculation as well but it was my bad and a false alarm.

We will be going back to Longhorn as the food was very good! My wife even said that her steak was the best she's had at a restaurant in years. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 05:00:24 AM »
It's too late to back out now. Everything's in motion.The troops are on the move. You can't stop it. LONGHORN"S FINISHED

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 05:05:38 AM »
It's too late to back out now. Everything's in motion.The troops are on the move. You can't stop it. LONGHORN"S FINISHED

Well, at least we had a good meal before Longhorn was finished.

See my sig line.   

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 05:53:29 AM »
I tip based on the service I receive.  I do not reward poor service, or someone who tries to pass off bad food like maybe I wouldn't notice.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 10:01:36 AM »
I'm actually sorry to hear this, as I like Longhorn Steakhouse. I eat there almost every time I travel to Chicago. Despite living in a major urban area of Texas, the closest Longhorn Steakhouse is almost 90 miles from my house.

...it was my bad and a false alarm.
We will be going back to Longhorn as the food was very good!   

Well I feel better, thanks Conrad. I've been wanting to share my tipping strategy with the forum ever since I signed up here.  I just didn't think that it would get the audience it deserves over in the thread about nothing at all, so thanks for starting this whole thing.  I was even able to squeeze in a complaint about there not being a Longhorn Steakhouse close to my house. You've performed a wonderful service for my psyche. My brain is now unburdened enough that I can go out and change those tires. Good work!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
Well I feel better, thanks Conrad. I've been wanting to share my tipping strategy with the forum ever since I signed up here.  I just didn't think that it would get the audience it deserves over in the thread about nothing at all, so thanks for starting this whole thing.  I was even able to squeeze in a complaint about there not being a Longhorn Steakhouse close to my house. You've performed a wonderful service for my psyche. My brain is now unburdened enough that I can go out and change those tires. Good work!

Well now, it seems that we both feel better now Marty.    :chugbeer:

My wife wanted to know how I calculate the tip amount and I told her that, in general, I multiply by two and move the decimal point over. She said that's too much work. Why don't you just move the decimal point over and then multiply by two.    :o

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
Well now, it seems that we both feel better now Marty.    :chugbeer:

My wife wanted to know how I calculate the tip amount and I told her that, in general, I multiply by two and move the decimal point over. She said that's too much work. Why don't you just move the decimal point over and then multiply by two.    :o

She has a point.  Move the decimal, drop the fraction and multiply by 2.  You would have tipped $14 and that would have been just over 18% which is more than fair.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »

She has a point. 

???

No, it's a planet...no, it's a star...no, it's a natural satellite? ...Oh sorry..wrong thread, I got confused... I meant to say six of one, and half a dozen of the other.
Sorry 2wheel, I have to agree with Conrad on this one. --->  :o
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I probably would have only put out a $14 tip.

You would have tipped $14 and that would have been just over 18% which is more than fair.

Well, on this second point we seem to be in agreement. ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right and the other is the husband  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right and the other is the husband  ;D

Says the bachelor?
My Concours Travels: