Author Topic: Finished paint job with customized faring  (Read 8832 times)

Offline DarkKnight

Finished paint job with customized faring
« on: May 21, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »
Sun was out , so I wanted to show off my finished project.

Offline DarkKnight

Re: Finished paint job with customized faring
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »
two more

Offline Connito

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »
NICE!!!
"Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »
DETAILS?!?!?  What kinda fairing is that? Did you make it yourself?  VERY nice.  Makes it look much newer.  Also love the paint.  Good job.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »
Awesome job! :thumbs: The nose now matches the profile of the front fender, very fitting on the bike. How do the lights compare to stock? I know this has been together and working for awhile, but the paint really ties it all together. Directionals? This is the first time I noticed that the custom fairing eliminated the front turn signals, are they in the new headlight assembly?
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
It's a R-1 faring stuffed into the connie faring. The turn signals are inside the headlight in the upper outside corners.
It was much more work than expected, but I didn't have any experience  before I started. I just love the bikes lines from the side, but couldn't stand the front. It was a long road, but I could do it faster now.
I have much more headlight lumens with two headlights in which both headlights have high and low. I have a switch that shuts one side off for daytime running lights. Newer bikes you see around that have only one headlight on, have a dedicated low beam on one side and then bring in the other side for high beam.  I really like the look of only one side on in the day.  So I faked the same look(My one sided light on is really a high/low beam type)
When I positioned the R1 faring in place, I matched the prevoius connie headlight's wash mark on the wall about 20 feet away. Then I knew I should be close. I'm not sure if I have the postion right, but I can see everything in front at night in a wider angle than before.

This is what I learned if doing a major change on the faring: forget Mek, Abs glue, JB weld, etc. Screw it all together, drill small holes everywhere, then fiberglass the whole thing.  Sounds like simple advice, it took many hours and dollars to figure this one out!

Now the A$$ end needs a kick!

Offline throb

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »
Very cool!!   :thumbs: :chugbeer:
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 04:23:41 PM »
Damn that in a piece of work. Super Job !!!   :hail: DarkKnight  :hail:

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »
AWESOME!  It looks like a "bird of prey" on the hunt... :thumbs:
'02 C-10

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
sweet!!!! 8)
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 07:49:42 PM »
Sweet!  ;D
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline KZBell

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 07:32:28 AM »
Nice work!
Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic

Offline timmerz

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
Wow, that is some extremely good work there....totally different look for the front end while maintaining the basic lines....and managed to upgrade your entire front lighting aspect at the same time...Holy Moly!

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 05:29:51 AM »
Very nice job.  It has been a labor of love I can tell.  I had my doubts when you firts posted about this A LONG TIME AGO.  I stand corrected; my hat is off to you sir
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 05:39:06 AM »
Very nice job.  It has been a labor of love I can tell.  I had my doubts when you firts posted about this A LONG TIME AGO.  I stand corrected; my hat is off to you sir
Thanx,
 I had my doubts too!
  I like working on the bike more than riding.  I've had the bike three years and put on less than 2000 miles on,with a huge list of changes.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 05:54:49 AM »
Thanx,
 I had my doubts too!
  I like working on the bike more than riding.  I've had the bike three years and put on less than 2000 miles on,with a huge list of changes.
You do know that this isnt a Harley, right?? :o
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 06:56:27 AM »
 Harley? It sure seemed like before I changed the bevel gear case. A spot of oil every morning.
I have to admit that now the bike is done and ready to ride, I feel like selling. Yesterday,  while I was writing the add up, friend called to tell me he just bought a bike.  I couldn't bear to tell him I want to sell, so I'm just hanging for now.
 I think there is something wrong with me, This is like the 10th project I've done from tractors, Shelby Cobra etc,etc...Here is the pattern:
Buy something that needs fixin up...Make it as perfect as I can and dump lots of money and sell it for less than materials cost..forget labor and time. I'm 75% Hunt 1% kill....not sure what the rest is.
 I drove around the country twice on a motorcycle in my 20's. I just don't get the same feeling about riding. I love buying fackles and fixin up just to look at at. Two thing s on my mind right now...selling bike and buying a fender extender... go figure!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:41:54 PM by DarkKnight »

Offline sroby

• 06 Blue C-10
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
She looks Outstanding sir. 
no.1 Dale Singleton fan along with King Kenny Roberts/Fast Freddie Spencer/ Steve and Shoodabeen.    aka (connkawi)

Offline jklhill

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »
Harley? It sure seemed like before I changed the bevel gear case. A spot of oil every morning.
I have to admit that now the bike is done and ready to ride, I feel like selling. Yesterday,  while I was writing the add up, friend called to tell me he just bought a bike.  I couldn't bear to tell him I want to sell, so I'm just hanging for now.
 I think there is something wrong with me, This is like the 10th project I've done from tractors, Shelby Cobra etc,etc...Here is the pattern:
Buy something that needs fixin up...Make it as perfect as I can and dump lots of money and sell it for less than materials cost..forget labor and time. I'm 75% Hunt 1% kill....not sure what the rest is.
 I drove around the country twice on a motorcycle in my 20's. I just don't get the same feeling about riding. I love buying fackles and fixin up just to look at at. Two thing s on my mind right now...selling bike and buying a fender extender... go figure!
I understand completely. I like the project, the build, tweaking, the accomplishment. The enjoyment, for me, is in the project. When it's all done I'm looking for something else to work on. That said; I really like my Concours and probably won't sell anytime soon.

Offline s6wired

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 09:25:24 PM »
How does it handle with the new fairing shape? Can you tell when you are in dirty air if it slices instead of dancing? BTW I love the look just want to know if it has helped air flow around the bike.
ZRX Front Wheel, MS Rear wheel,320 MM Brake conversion, Bergman Oil Filter adapter, ZZR1200 rear shock, Cee Baileys Windscreen