Author Topic: Hard to find oil leak.....  (Read 7786 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Hard to find oil leak.....
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 01:27:51 PM »
Lots of great information in this thread.  As promised, I yanked my Water Pump this week and replaced the offending seal.  Thanks for posting that part# as I'm sure big Kaw wouldn't let me at it.  I used an upside-down large 1/2" drive socket to drive the seal in, then painted the edge with red loctite (just enough to "seal"  the groove between it and the pump body.  ....

good job!!
for everyone out there with this fix, keep in mind there is still a small amount of oil trapped in the bearing area behind the seal, even after you replace it, you MAY experience a periodic drip on the exhaust until the trapped oil is depleted....this is no cause for alarm, I have repeatedly reassured people here it will stop after a hundred miles or so, and in almost every case the panicked rider reports this occured. So don't panic.

also, completely coating the mating surface of the new seal, and super cleaned recess in the pump (I use Brake-Kleen to remove the oil) and then installing the seal, and allowing it to set up overnight assists in the process before installing the pump. I go one step further in this process by "expanding" the new seal, by placing it face down on a hard surface, and inserting an appropriatly sized socket into the "cup" side of the seal, and tap it judiciously with a hammer, which expands the steel cup slightly. this affords a tighter fit of a marginal seal. Remember the "cup" side faces outwards on the pump, and faces the engine side, and the flat side of the seal is actually facing the inside of the pump....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline emjayw

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 08:23:07 AM »
Great tips, Man Of Blues.  I neglected to say that after coating the mating point with red loctite, I let it sit overnight before trying to refill the crankcase with oil.  Yes, there was a bunch of oily gunk under the original seal when I removed it, I just cleaned the area with alcohol and Q-tips before installing the new one.  400 miles and zero leakage!  Mike in too hot TX

Offline Summit670

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »
I've replaced my seal about 10k ago or so.  My concern is since the OEM seal was allowing hot oil to pass thru the bearing, wouldn't that oil also cleanse the bearing of any grease and therefore its lifespan is significantly shortened because now it is just being lubricated by oil which will eventually leak out?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.