Author Topic: How bad is this?  (Read 7715 times)

Offline DarkKnight

Re: How bad is this?
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 06:00:08 AM »
2x

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »
If your sight glass is full then that is too much oil. When you changed the oil did you remove 'both' drain plugs?

Yes.  I know nothing of this bike so I read the manual.

Of course, to drain the coolant, it says "Step 1, remove exhaust system", so I call my brother when I see stuff like that.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 07:03:46 AM »
I'm almost positive its not your center stand leaking oil and if it is you might need a new center stand gasket Ask Murph.
Too much oil might even force bevel gear gasket into failure. You never said how much oil you put in or your method of figuring how much to add. Did you add a measured amount of oil or did you use the sight glass for filling?

I am not sure which oil you are referring to, but when I changed the engine oil, I followed the Clymer manual.  Same for the final drive, it said 220 cc, so that's what I put in it (after draining it).
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
Drained both drain plugs .... yes?

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:27 PM »
Drained both drain plugs .... yes?

Yes. Replaced filter also.

Never could figure out why many ads for Connies said "screw on oil filter". Don't all bikes have screw on filters?  Um, no.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 07:51:35 PM »
I don't understand if you had the bike for a while or just bought it and changed the oil. Without know that I don't know if it's a new leak since oil change or has it been there.
Maybe telling you what happen to me, might help you figure it out.
 I bought my 02 w/ 19k and did the vale adjustment and didn't get the breather tube back in correctly. It leaked oil in the same spot as yours. Found that and a little while later I noticed after a ride oil in the same area again. I cleaned it off and it would leak a drop after a ride, right in the same area. Finding it by cleaning off and using baby power to help locate the leak. Using a mirror to see up on the back side of the bevel gear housing.  It wasn't a bad leak, just a pesky drop on the floor.  After changing out the bevel gear housing gasket, I could see why it leaked. They make a new and improved gasket. So if it's not leaking now, good chance it will start leaking in the future.
Hope this helps.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:54 PM »
We looked at it today.  It's blowing into the airbox from a breather that comes into the airbox from the bottom.  Not sure where that comes from but I suspect it's the crankcase and that I have overfilled the oil.  The airbox had a fair amount of fresh engine oil in the bottom of it and the little foam rubber gasket on the cover was soaked in oil.   When I removed the air filter not long ago to service it, I completely cleaned out the airbox, so this is all new stuff.   This is the source of the oil for sure.  I did notice that when I was going all through the bike cleaning it, there was oily grit in that same area, apparently the previous owner made the same mistake I did but didn't clean up his mess.  This poor thing didn't get a lot of TLC. 

DK:  I just got the bike not long ago and immediately changed the oil, due to near "owner vandalism" as my friend who works for Honda in the warranty department would say.  The sight glass appears to be completely full, but on close examination I can see a tiny bubble a the very top.

Thanks to all who responded.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:32 AM »
From your last description of the sight glass I would say that you have found your problem.  I over filled my 02 the first time.  That was before I found this group.  :grouphug:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 06:11:54 AM »
From your last description of the sight glass I would say that you have found your problem.  I over filled my 02 the first time.  That was before I found this group.  :grouphug:

I did the same thing on my first oil change. A slight overfill, but first the breather must have been pulled out a little after the valve adjustment Found it! Then once installed, it puked oil into the air box. Once that stopped, the oil started leaking from the back side of the bevel gear housing. Maybe added oil increased pressure in the crankcase.
The best part of it all, I ended up going for the 7th gear option and it made bike more comfortable to ride.
All I need to do now is ride.