Author Topic: Help fuel coming out of key hole  (Read 7804 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Help fuel coming out of key hole
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
I think you need to look at basics at this point.  Hopefully i'll get this right (I just got off a cruise ship last night).  On all non-CA bikes there is only one tube in the rear of the tank.  It is a steel tube welded in that goes up the inside on the tank to the void under the gas cap that drains RAIN water and spilled gas (overflow) out the rear of the bike.  The gas cap has a red (or black) one-way diaphram in it to allow atmosphere to enter the tank thru air passages as the fuel is used so a vacuum is not created.  This is how water condensation is also accumulated over time in the tank.  It can clog and also create a stall condition when it makes a vacuum on the tank.  Under pressure, this same vent squeals (or "sings") as it relieves pressure.  In your case, it sounds like the fuel level is so high that it is pushing fuel out, and probably will continue until the level drops.

The other issue you may have created by linking the two hoses (not capping) and then overfilling is that the gas vapor return tube (CA stuff) is below the fuel level and under heat pressure (developed as the bike warms up or simply cold fuel from underground warming up) it is then back feeding up the other vapor vent line and filling the void under the cap.  Cap these two tubes (securely) and the condition should not exist anymore when the fuel level drops.

In my picture (non-CA) the yellow arrow is pointing at the gas cap anti-theft screw.  The other "open" hole to the the right is where CA bikes have a rubber plug pushed in I think.

If i'm not right, please send me back to the cruise ship please.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
well that sounds simple so i will try that first, i removed the anti-theft screw when i removed the emissions stuff. the other day i did hear the cap not singing but more like hissing, first time i ever heard that, it wasn't loud tho, just a soft hissing sound.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 07:00:51 AM »
so i put a plug on tank left nipple and right nipple, and left the center hose in place going out behind the rear tire, filled up tank to just bellow the filler neck and it still leaked a little fuel from the keyhole but not real bad like the last time, i think im good for now but i might come back later with another question about the fuel cap.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting