Author Topic: Replacing front brake pads  (Read 2190 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Replacing front brake pads
« on: October 18, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »
I am replacing the front pads. The pins that the inside pads ride on is a bit rough. Is there something that should be done besides using a greenie to clean them?  I also saw some spooge coming out of the right side bleed valve so I am also going to have to flush the system. I have the speed bleeder screws on them so it shouldn't be a problem. Shortly after I got the bike I replaced the fluids but it looks like it is time again.

Also, is there anything else I should probably do at this time?

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
Re: Replacing front brake pads
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 07:14:40 PM »
Aside from the green pad, you could hit the pins with some 200/400 paper to smooth em out. I like to put a light coat of anti seize on the pins to keep em from rusting so fast.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice 2fast. I am quite surprised that nobody else has. Good thing I didn't wait for anyone else.

Well I finished up today. What I did was to pull out all the springs (three per side) and thoroughly clean them, then used a carbon steel wire brush on my Drexel to completely clean them so they work their best. I also did that to two positions that fit inside the cups. They looked like they should be able to rotate and weren't looking to good for doing it as they were.

I used a Dremel flap wheel to clean the two pins that hold the inside brake pad. I had to use the wire brush to clean the area that the flap wheel could not get to. Afterwards I used some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to polish the pins.

Once all of that was done I applied a very thin layer of grease to all those components. After that I took it out for a short ride to be sure it worked.

I then used some clear tubing and an empty soda bottle to flush the brake fluid. It came out darker than the cola that was in the bottle originally. Then I drained the final drive oil and replaced it. It looked like mud. I may stay home from work tomorrow to do the engine oil and filter.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
Once all of that was done I applied a very thin layer of grease to all those components. After that I took it out for a short ride to be sure it worked.

I do hope you used a high temperature grease specifically designed for brake parts.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »
You mean wheel grease shouldn't be used?

LOL, no, I bought a small can of synthetic grease specifically for use on brakes.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »
You mean wheel grease shouldn't be used?

LOL, no, I bought a small can of synthetic grease specifically for use on brakes.

:thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)