Author Topic: Nightmares  (Read 7592 times)

Offline IraB

Re: Nightmares
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »
If you leave a manual shutoff on and the carbs flood you still have another problem.
YOU left the fuel on.
And you still have the crappy float needles/seats.
Do you have a self retracting sidestand? Why not? You "will" forget to retract it.
I have been playing nice. Some folks don't like others who don't scurry for cover when they bellow. I am of the opinion you fix the underlying problem. Rather than apply a band aid and call it fixed. YMMV.

You do know that manual petcocks can also leak....right?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »

You do know that manual petcocks can also leak....right?

Ya can't win this one IraB.... Some folks just prefer to depend on simple time proved components.

As a Ships Engineer I will tell you I am too prefer a manually operated valve as while a manual valve can indeed leak past its seat it is going to less prone to failure than a valve that depends on another mechanical devise to operate it. This is the issue with the vacuum operated petcock that while it might work without issue for 20 years on Tom's bike there is nothing to prevent it from having issue on Joe's bike in 9 years. But as long as the float valves never fugg up Joe's bike he will never be the wiser that his petcock is leaking by....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline IraB

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
Ya can't win this one IraB.... Some folks just prefer to depend on simple time proved components.

As a Ships Engineer I will tell you I am too prefer a manually operated valve as while a manual valve can indeed leak past its seat it is going to less prone to failure than a valve that depends on another mechanical devise to operate it. This is the issue with the vacuum operated petcock that while it might work without issue for 20 years on Tom's bike there is nothing to prevent it from having issue on Joe's bike in 9 years. But as long as the float valves never fugg up Joe's bike he will never be the wiser that his petcock is leaking by....

Not knocking a manual petcock in general,  just not willing to rely on it 100% to avoid hydrolock.
I am considering a manual petcock (along with a big, embarrassing reminder placard) myself but the conversion kit approach seems a little cheesy to me.
Does anyone know of a manual petcock that is a bolt in replacement for the vacuum/ stock one?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
Not knocking a manual petcock in general,  just not willing to rely on it 100% to avoid hydrolock.
I am considering a manual petcock (along with a big, embarrassing reminder placard) myself but the conversion kit approach seems a little cheesy to me.
Does anyone know of a manual petcock that is a bolt in replacement for the vacuum/ stock one?

There you go; no ONE fix is 100 % one needs to adapt a multi tier approach....
I've had the Bergam manual conversion from Murph for a long time and it is simple and well made.
You can get a Pingle manual petcock to bolt in with a very small amount of file work (5 minutes) ....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 11:26:16 PM »
I converted the OEM vacuum unit to the Bergmen manual and it worked great for a few years until the spring went bad, lost tension and the valve leaked.  That spring was the OEM unit and not part of Dan's manual kit.  I rebuilt that valve using a K&L kit, which had out-of-spec parts that made it leak even worse, so bad I could not leave the fuel hose from the tank attached.  it grounded the bike until I got it fixed.  I rebuilt it with OEM genuine Kawasaki parts and it failed again after a couple of months.  I put in a Pingel and stopped worrying.  It has not leaked yet, and IF I forget to turn it off/on, then I have no one to blame but me.  I have a rule, though, which is this:  If I ever get on the bike and the valve is already in the ON position, I will NOT attempt a start until I have verified no fuel in the cylinders.  (So far this hasn't happened. ;))  I also have overflow tubes, and I also pull my carbs every year in the fall to clean them and check the float valves.  Not everyone wants to get that familiar with their machines, and I respect that.  The Pingel eliminates a lot of that risk, but nothing is entirely without risk, it is just a matter of which risks we each decide we want to manage/mitigate.  It's like the arguments on the gun forums for/against magazine safeties.  Some like them, some hate them.  Nothing will ever be perfect in ALL circumstances.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

enim57

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 06:38:12 PM »
I did my own conversion and it doesn't use springs, diaphragms, or adjustment screws. You do however need access to a laythe, drill, and basic hand tools - as well as the ability to use them. Having an O ring and rubber seal on the handle it could still leak but that's highly unlikely, any tap of any design can leak.

Having said that Murphs sells a good kit at a reasonable price: http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=483

The most important thing is to have float valves that don't leak - if they're good you will not have hydrolock. Over flow tubes are great peace of mind though.

Regards, Russell

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 04:41:28 AM »
That's the other problem. The float needles are proven to be shyte.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »
That's the other problem. The float needles are proven to be shyte.

The ones in my 86 Ninja worked till 2008 ... 22 years don't seem all that bad to me.

One float needle in my 99 ZG started leaking in 2012 ... even 13 years don't seem too bad.  JMHO
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
Yours seem to be the exception.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

enim57

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »
Yours seem to be the exception.
Mines an '86 and still on original float needles.

Regards, Russell