Author Topic: Nightmares  (Read 7593 times)

Offline IraB

Nightmares
« on: September 07, 2013, 10:31:29 PM »
You guys were giving them to me,  so this is how I spent my day.
I shall sleep like a baby tonight with the stock petcock set to the middle position.  :D

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:24:23 AM »
Very nicely done IraB you roll your own? As in overflow tubes....

You've gone this far I hope that you went ahead and cleaned them puppies while you have the bank on the bench....

I've been needing to clean my slow speed circuits since I went to the 2010 Nationals; but I keep making excuses and have gotten quite adept at feathering the choke lever as needed to keep throttle response acceptable.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline IraB

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »
Thanks

Done similar things before and have a well equipped shop so it wasn't really all that difficult.
On the other hand, it is also a great way to screw up a set of perfectly good carbs, so anyone who has any doubts about it would be better off sending them into to Shoudabeen.

The carbs were already clean as a whistle but I did rinse them out a little.  Hardest part is getting those &^** intake boots all back on.  Is there some trick to make that easier that I just don't know about?
Picking up some alum plate to fab some block off plates this week. Also planing to roll my own tip over bars.....probably not very well said eh?  :D

Also fixed a crack in the belly fairing plastic using some pre MEK ban ABS glue and painted it with bed liner.  Looks better than new.  Used the same glue to install a Murph's fender extender.  Really strange to me that they designed the stock fender to feed mud and crap into the cooler and radiator?  I'll be riding year round here in the Pacific Northwest so that was a must have.

One thing that is out of my league is a 7th gear type mod. Hoping  "The Boss" will authorize that kit purchase for Christmas.  ;)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:59:21 AM »
Sounds like your well versed and have an equipped shop; you should prove to be well liked if there are any nearby Concours owners.....

As to the fender yeah well form over function is sometimes how it goes in the appearance department.... I to like many ran with a fenda extenda on both my stock Concours front end as well as on my ZRX front end too...

Steve's 7th gear mod is a sweet treat if you spend lots of time at super slab speeds; with an even bigger reward if you use a larger tire like the 160/80-16... Me I used the 7th gear but went to a 170/60-17 so I lost a little height thus loosing a little of the RPM reducing advantage of the 7th gear. But the improvement in handling far out weights the loss.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline IraB

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »

Already find myself looking for 7th once in awhile.

Have not really been into bikes for quite awhile but am always fixing/ modding/ fabing something.
Be glad to help any other owners in a bind but it won't be easy.  I pretty much work 7 days a week like a rented mule.

Offline Fuller56

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
How I make the intake boots softer and more pliable to put on..... still not easy..... is simply to soak them in REALLY hot water for a few minutes before beginning the fight to get them back in place.  Relatively quick, cheap and easy.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 03:38:31 AM »
Install a $5 lawnmower shutoff valve in the fuel line and really sleep.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 05:58:06 AM »
Install a $5 lawnmower shutoff valve in the fuel line and really sleep.

And really suffer from insufficiently filled carbs while riding...

Seriously, anything in the fuel line is an accident waiting to happen, especially if the tank vents aren't opperating at 110% Keep a good petcock, you've done a nice job on the overflow tubes, and you'll be fine.

BTW I did youtube video's on carb removal / installation, you'll find a heat gun is your friend when it comes to the airbox boots - Steve

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
Been using them for years without problems. They flow enough fuel to prevent fuel starvation. And they work.

Offline IraB

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:01:36 AM »

And really suffer from insufficiently filled carbs while riding...

Seriously, anything in the fuel line is an accident waiting to happen, especially if the tank vents aren't opperating at 110% Keep a good petcock, you've done a nice job on the overflow tubes, and you'll be fine.

BTW I did youtube video's on carb removal / installation, you'll find a heat gun is your friend when it comes to the airbox boots - Steve

I like the heat gun idea.  I'm sure hot water would work too but it sounds like almost as much of a PITA as the problem it addresses.

Initially pondered the inline valve.  Worked with many and a large enough diameter ball type valve should provide unrestricted flow.  The problem is that it really does not totally address the flooding/hydrolock issue.

1. Any valve, inline or otherwise, could leak/fail (which is already part of the cause of the hydrolock issue ) and allow enough fuel to pass to result in a bummer morning.  Also if you have a stuck float valve and forget to shut your fuel just one time.....  =:o

2. I actually like the stock, vacuum operated shut off valve.
A good friend dumped his bike taking off from a stop into a left turn at an intersection and was run over by a car driven by someone jabbering on their cell phone.  The primary cause was that he had forgotten to turn on his fuel valve and the bike stalled.
Admit it it, we all have those moments and the factory petcock largely gets that safety issue out of the way.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »
You say the inline valve COULD fail yet you want to rely on the vac operated valve that is PROVEN to fail?
Do you remember to raise the sidestand? Then you can remember to turn on the fuel.
The hydrolocking problem is caused by a lousy petcock compounded by even crappier carb needles/seats.
You guys need to get cheap...I mean frugal.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
   Let's put it this way. My petcock lasted 18 yrs and never failed. I only replaced it because it was old. Yes, some do fail. All things fail!! Even people fail. Like forgetting to turn off the petcock. Unless you are infallible which I doubt.
   Stock petcock and overflow tubes works fine.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »
And you know the petcock and needles have failed when you have gas all over the garage floor. Hope your water heater isn't in the garage.
Do you have a self retracting sidestand? Does your helmet put itself on your head?
BTW-how do you know your petcock hasn't failed, that is, unless you have removed the tank?
I'm not knocking overflow tube, don't misunderstand. I think the proper solution is to fix what causes the hydrolock.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 04:22:14 PM »
  Everytime I remove the tank I pull the fuel line off. If it doesn't leak out off the petcock, it's good. Even if you don't have overflow tubes if the bike sits in your garage long enough with bad float needles the gas will overflow into the airbox and probably onto the floor. Even if you don't see it you will probably smell it.
   If you forget and leave your petcock on  and your float needle leaks you WILL have gas where it doesn't belong.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :hitfan:

Must be a slow day in the arena...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :hitfan:

Must be a slow day in the arena...

Play nice boys; don't make me get out the hose....    ::)
Tony P. Crochet

Offline IraB

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »
And you know the petcock and needles have failed when you have gas all over the garage floor. Hope your water heater isn't in the garage.
Do you have a self retracting sidestand? Does your helmet put itself on your head?
BTW-how do you know your petcock hasn't failed, that is, unless you have removed the tank?
I'm not knocking overflow tube, don't misunderstand. I think the proper solution is to fix what causes the hydrolock.

I won't address all your comments but I do plan to remove the fuel line to the carbs on the morning of all future oil changes to look for indications of petcock leakage.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 12:13:14 PM »
If you leave a manual shutoff on and the carbs flood you still have another problem.
YOU left the fuel on.
And you still have the crappy float needles/seats.
Do you have a self retracting sidestand? Why not? You "will" forget to retract it.
I have been playing nice. Some folks don't like others who don't scurry for cover when they bellow. I am of the opinion you fix the underlying problem. Rather than apply a band aid and call it fixed. YMMV.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 01:32:36 PM »
If you leave a manual shutoff on and the carbs flood you still have another problem.
YOU left the fuel on.
And you still have the crappy float needles/seats.
Do you have a self retracting sidestand? Why not? You "will" forget to retract it.
I have been playing nice. Some folks don't like others who don't scurry for cover when they bellow. I am of the opinion you fix the underlying problem. Rather than apply a band aid and call it fixed. YMMV.

heheh, Hitler's Revenge.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »
I have a bike with a self retracting sidestand. Unfortunately when it's deployed the bike falls due to the stand being at the front of the bike. I use the c-stand instead. Mussolini's revenge.
And it has two OEM manual petcocks. Lol.