Author Topic: Temp gauge not moving much  (Read 1293 times)

Offline CoffeeRider

Temp gauge not moving much
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
Over the past two weeks I have noticed that the temp gauge hardly moves out of the cold range. It has been hot and I have heard the fan cycle on and off. I just came in from the garage where I removed the left side fairing and checked the leads at the temp sender and the connections were bright and secure. Does this mean I need a new temp sender or does anyone have any other suggestions?
2002 Concours (It's not grey, it's SilverDammit)
Targa windshield, Fender extender, Murph's knee savers, bar risers, Optronix driving lights, Garmin Quest GPS, hyperlights, Back off stop light flasher, backrest extender

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
Re: Temp gauge not moving much
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »
Check your coolant level, if it's low you won't get an accurate reading.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Temp gauge not moving much
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:32:15 AM »
The temp sending unit is not located under the left side of the fairing; that is the temp "switch" for the fan only and has absolutely nothing to do with the temp sending unit. The temp sending unit is located under the gas tank on the right side of the frame backbone just above the carb bank; it has a single wire hooked up to it. Check that everything there is nice and tight as well as bright and shiny; the tab is riveted to the sender and can become loose over the years which will cause a false reading. Also the sender as well as T-Stat do not work properly if there is trapped air in the T-Stat housing that is why there is a vent "bleeder" port at the housing to remove trapped air.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010