Author Topic: Parked next to an FJR the other day...  (Read 19545 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Parked next to an FJR the other day...
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
But you do not have to 'find and mess' with any keys- the key is in the ignition, patiently waiting for any <authorized> person (anyone who has a valid fob) to access it.

No, because then I can't have the bike running and getting warm and having the GPS do it's forever prep while messing with case....   That is why I had a "regular" key cut... (Because without THAT I would have to then find the fob and fiddle with THAT to remove the psudo key, and then reinstall that, which is even more work).  Either way, I am still having to fiddle with keys!

For me, Kipass offers no advantages, but presents additional complexity (batteries,  fobs, pressing and waiting on the knob, proximity, etc) and cost with more failure points.  It solves problems I don't have.  And it creates problems I don't want.

Love this one:  I lock my jacket in the side case so I don't have to carry it around.  CRAP- the fob is in the jacket because I DON'T WANT A DAMN LUMP IN MY POCKET.  Surely it is far enough away to prevent bike theft.....   <test>  nope.  Take it all apart again, try to remember this each time.

I am not saying it can't be valuable for some people, just not for me.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
C10 owner here...some of us considered a C14, but will not own one due to the extra KiPass failure modes.  NOT EVER.  Three mechanical keys for the C10, but I don't mind keys so much.  At least they are flat...$0.02.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »
But again, that has nothing whatsoever to do with KiPass- if you had a conventional metal key, you would still need another key to open the saddlebags while the bike is warming up. My point is that in your case KiPass is no worse than a more conventional system presuming of course that it works correctly. Somehow the urban legend has really taken root that one should never remove the stove knob key and that is simply not a valid argument in my opinion- Kawasaki clearly always did intend for us to remove the main key and use it in other places on the bike.

As to the additional failure points, you are exactly correct IMO. There is simply no other valid opinion- KiPass adds components that can fail and that does add another layer of potential things that could cause a failure to start. The only thing that can be said in favor of more complex systems is that if each set and sub- set of systems is orders of magnitude more reliable than older technology then the overall product can, and will, be more reliable. As an example I would compare any modern auto with a Model T; the Model T was far less complex but due to the intrinsic lousy design, materials and components used (as measured by today's standards), the vehicle itself was less reliable. But still your point remains valid; if the bike were identical in every way then simply adding KiPass does add more potential failure points and has to increase the likelihood of an overall vehicle failure because KiPass does not in any way increase reliability to offset the additional potential component failure(s).

Now as far as you or anyone else simply not liking KiPass, that is of course a perfectly valid opinion. This is where we need an icon for shrugging shoulders.  ;)

Brian

No, because then I can't have the bike running and getting warm and having the GPS do it's forever prep while messing with case....   That is why I had a "regular" key cut... (Because without THAT I would have to then find the fob and fiddle with THAT to remove the psudo key, and then reinstall that, which is even more work).  Either way, I am still having to fiddle with keys!

For me, Kipass offers no advantages, but presents additional complexity (batteries,  fobs, pressing and waiting on the knob, proximity, etc) and cost with more failure points.  It solves problems I don't have.  And it creates problems I don't want.

Love this one:  I lock my jacket in the side case so I don't have to carry it around.  CRAP- the fob is in the jacket because I DON'T WANT A DAMN LUMP IN MY POCKET.  Surely it is far enough away to prevent bike theft.....   <test>  nope.  Take it all apart again, try to remember this each time.

I am not saying it can't be valuable for some people, just not for me.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »
And for you and people like you there is always an FJR. Which I do believe has brought this thread full circle.

:D

Brian

C10 owner here...some of us considered a C14, but will not own one due to the extra KiPass failure modes.  NOT EVER.  Three mechanical keys for the C10, but I don't mind keys so much.  At least they are flat...$0.02.

saxman
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
I had a 2008 FJR and really enjoyed the bike.  There are pros and cons for both bikes but at the end of the day they are close enough that either is a great platform.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »
I have a coworker that has an FJR.  He and I dont often get along, so whenever he does his sneaky little crap at work I make sure to park the big girl right next to his lesser machine (even though I have an assigned spot).  I'll try to get a pic, and the C14 does indeed look flat pissed off, and his looks like a Nintendo character!!

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
I think the FJR is a nice bike.  If the C14 wasn't about to be released, that's what I would have bought about 5 years ago.  I had the opportunity to ride both an FJR and a K16GT last fall for some demo days, and only have nice things to say about both.  Really liked the FJR and loved the GT, but am happy to keep the C14. 

As to KiPass, I wear the fob on a lanyard around my neck.  It's worked for me for almost 5 years.  It might be worth a try for those of you trying to figure out the best place for it.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2012, 07:39:17 PM »
I put 44,000 miles on my 06 FJR and loved the bike.  I still think the FJR is MUCH better looking than the Concours....

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline PH14

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »
I would feel the same way if I didn't have to access my side cases nearly every single trip.  I STILL have to fumble for an awkward in-fob key or take the stovepipe out to open them, saving me nothing.  Actually, I'd rather carry a smaller key in my pocket vs. a fat fob.

That's my only beef, other than that, okay. Still, it answered a question no one asked and serves no real purpose. If you don't access the bags much it isn't bad at all. If you use the bags almost every time you stop, like I do, it's a pain. I use the stove key for that so I don't have to get the little key out of the fob I'm not supposed to have to handle, and it works okay, and I have had no issues.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
That's my only beef, other than that, okay. Still, it answered a question no one asked and serves no real purpose. If you don't access the bags much it isn't bad at all. If you use the bags almost every time you stop, like I do, it's a pain. I use the stove key for that so I don't have to get the little key out of the fob I'm not supposed to have to handle, and it works okay, and I have had no issues.

i use the bags every day and I love that I can grap the key out of the ignition instead of fumbling around in my pockets to get the key.  Expecially if I already have my gloves on.  Yep, the KiPass system is definitely growing on me.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »
FJR is due for an update.  Speculation in the mag i read today, direct competition with C14 including 1400 CC's and all the technologies too. They even had a speculation pic of it and it looked awesome.

OK, but until then, the C14 is obviously superior as they also said in th article..

My vote is they at least give it a 6th gear.  Of course after Kawasaki's success with the mad pow-ah of KiPass the new FJR will have it too.

On a side note, the BMWs KiPass controls the luggage and such without a key.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
For me, Kipass offers no advantages, <SNIP>  because I DON'T WANT A DAMN LUMP IN MY POCKET.
Where do you keep yer wallet, or do you wear a purse? :rotflmao:
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline texrider

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »
Only thing I've changed about my KIPASS is to drill a hole through the middle of the stove knob key. I put a key ring in it, which allows a better grip to remove it from the ignition when I use it for gas or bags.  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline r2t2

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2012, 11:00:03 PM »
And for you and people like you there is always an FJR. Which I do believe has brought this thread full circle.

:D

Brian

Feel like you're herding cats Brian???  :deadhorse:

I got turned off to the FJR when the local dealer didn't have one on the showroom floor. Wanted a $500 deposit sight unseen. When they did get one, the would only let me ride in the parking lot.

One the other hand... The local Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer let me put quite a few miles on the Honda ST1300 and the C14.

I don't regret buying the C14 (although I do miss the Blackibrd at times) and I too am a fanboi of KIPASSa...
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2012, 12:03:33 AM »
Ah, yet another evolutionary thread. From FJR to KPass once again.

Thirty-seven hours and four pages later...
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2012, 04:30:11 AM »

saxman

Then you are missing out on a wonderful bike....too bad.  I've had two failures but was able to 'rock' myself out of the situation.  Now I have Brian's bypass so no more rocks.  I think we've had a few failures in the newer bikes but not as much as in the 08/09s.  And when I say that, it's a very very small percentage at that.  And I love the mad powah of KIPASS.

You are missing the stock power, immensely improved braking, excellent suspension, no pitted cams, no hydrolock, the mirrors don't move on you and on and on....

I don't regret my purchase one bit and will continue to own this line as long as it's out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2012, 04:31:18 AM »
Thirty-seven hours and four pages later...

And your point?   ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2012, 07:17:04 AM »
I have a coworker that has an FJR.  He and I dont often get along, so whenever he does his sneaky little crap at work I make sure to park the big girl right next to his lesser machine (even though I have an assigned spot).  I'll try to get a pic, and the C14 does indeed look flat pissed off, and his looks like a Nintendo character!!
LOL! That's right...you should park yours facing the front of his so it stares down that FJR!  ;D

But then his might not crank after such intimidation from the Connie.  ::)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2012, 07:21:31 AM »
Where do you keep yer wallet, or do you wear a purse? :rotflmao:

A real answer to your smart-ass question.  I keep my phone and wallet in the storage compartment on my bikes because I hate having them in my pockets.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
Where do you keep yer wallet, or do you wear a purse?

While riding?  My wallet is in a pack and in the side case.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc