Author Topic: Mazda 3 TPMS on my Concours  (Read 10156 times)

Offline johnchen

Mazda 3 TPMS on my Concours
« on: April 13, 2022, 08:00:46 AM »
My TPMS went bad, not just low battery. I try Mazda 3 TPMS on my front wheel and it works.
1. Get Mazda 3 TPMS from eBay $15, P/N BBM2-37-140B
2. Read TPMS ID by autel maxitpms pad
3. Register TPMS ID by KDS3
4. Install TPMS
Done
My concours don't read Mazda TPMS by spinning on bicycle wheel, but reads after install on my front wheel.
Maybe spinning + tire pressure can wake TPMS
NC24> FZ6 >CBR1000RR + DRZ + TMAX + KTM1290ADV + C14P + KTM525 - DRZ + KTM625SMC

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
Re: Mazda 3 TPMS on my Concours
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 10:48:47 AM »
Wow thanks for sharing especially an alternate and less expensive TPMS!

Curious though to get the TPMS ID from this device Autel MaxiTPMS pad-- what is this and what's the cost of that since that will probably need to be factored in?

I'm assuming the Mazda 3 TPMS is similar in size and no issues mounting into the C14 wheel. Hopefully you can share pictures of said device and Mazda TPMS.

-Robert

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 11:12:42 AM »
 :banana

How did you figure that out?!

This gives me an idea. I have my old TPMS sensors and a benchtop power supply. I could power my old sensors, clone the ID to a new one and it SHOULD work. Interesting...
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 11:47:33 AM »
Curious though to get the TPMS ID from this device Autel MaxiTPMS pad-- what is this and what's the cost of that since that will probably need to be factored in?

The Autel TPMS pad is less than $70 from Amazon. And while Autel sensors are $32 a piece, that may negate needing to take the bike in for re-programming if you have the old sensors.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 05:59:53 AM »
My TPMS went bad, not just low battery. I try Mazda 3 TPMS on my front wheel and it works.
1. Get Mazda 3 TPMS from eBay $15, P/N BBM2-37-140B
2. Read TPMS ID by autel maxitpms pad
3. Register TPMS ID by KDS3
4. Install TPMS
Done
My concours don't read Mazda TPMS by spinning on bicycle wheel, but reads after install on my front wheel.
Maybe spinning + tire pressure can wake TPMS

Are you kidding?  You mean like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363293141961?hash=item5495f56bc9:g:NTgAAOSwxkBgIUPX

Seriously?  $42 for FOUR of them?  And they work?  This is *MAJOR* since they cost a fortune from Kawasaki.  Looks like they are always sold in 4's but at that cheap you can store the other two in the freezer for future use.  How in the world did you discover this???

But why would you need to buy the $52 "Autel MaxiTPMS PAD TPMS Sensor Programming Accessory Device Tire Pressure Tool"?  Wouldn't the ID be printed on the sensor?  It looks like the pad will create a compatible ID for the appropriate vehicle, so it might be required.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154944096519?epid=2286885481&hash=item2413634907:g:NTkAAOSwTVxiVNq9

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 09:21:52 AM »
Maxtog,

The Autel pad is for cloning the sensor ID, so that you don't need to take the bike in for programming. As far as the bike is concerned, it thinks it's the old sensor.

I've got stuff arriving today. If it works, I'll post about it in a new thread. I'm being quick about it because I've already ordered a new front tire. We shall see.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 03:08:11 PM »
The Autel pad is for cloning the sensor ID, so that you don't need to take the bike in for programming. As far as the bike is concerned, it thinks it's the old sensor.

Oh!  That would be even MORE awesome.

I've got stuff arriving today. If it works, I'll post about it in a new thread. I'm being quick about it because I've already ordered a new front tire. We shall see.

Great!  I can't wait to see/hear the details.  At lot of us wish this stuff were around forever ago.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »
So I successfully cloned my ID to a new sensor. I’m going to roll the $30 dice and have it installed on my front tire when I change my front.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 08:17:29 PM »
So I successfully cloned my ID to a new sensor.

With the PAD thing and software?  Which sensor was cloned?

I’m going to roll the $30 dice

What is the $30?

and have it installed on my front tire when I change my front.

Does the currently installed sensor weak battery?

Offline johnchen

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 08:44:46 PM »
Are you kidding?  You mean like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363293141961?hash=item5495f56bc9:g:NTgAAOSwxkBgIUPX

Seriously?  $42 for FOUR of them?  And they work?  This is *MAJOR* since they cost a fortune from Kawasaki.  Looks like they are always sold in 4's but at that cheap you can store the other two in the freezer for future use.  How in the world did you discover this???

But why would you need to buy the $52 "Autel MaxiTPMS PAD TPMS Sensor Programming Accessory Device Tire Pressure Tool"?  Wouldn't the ID be printed on the sensor?  It looks like the pad will create a compatible ID for the appropriate vehicle, so it might be required.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154944096519?epid=2286885481&hash=item2413634907:g:NTkAAOSwTVxiVNq9

Yes, I use this TPMS
Autel MaxiTPMS PAD is to read ID on new TPMS which will not come with ID printed outside.
Any TPMS programmer should be able to read ID from this TPMS.
NC24> FZ6 >CBR1000RR + DRZ + TMAX + KTM1290ADV + C14P + KTM525 - DRZ + KTM625SMC

Offline johnchen

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 08:52:46 PM »
:banana

How did you figure that out?!

This gives me an idea. I have my old TPMS sensors and a benchtop power supply. I could power my old sensors, clone the ID to a new one and it SHOULD work. Interesting...

Just want to save some money... haha..
With programmable TPMS should work, I bought Mazda TPMS long time ago, I can register ID to C14, I never read PSI from this sensor by spinning it, but C14 shows 0PSI when I wake TPMS by tool, so the only problem is that I cannot make sure how to wake TPMS without tool.
This time my C14 TPMS dead, just try to install Mazda TPMS and it works...

Offline johnchen

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2022, 09:01:28 PM »
So I successfully cloned my ID to a new sensor. I’m going to roll the $30 dice and have it installed on my front tire when I change my front.

You can turn C14 key on, wait for 2 mins, wake TPMS by tool or read this TPMS by tool.
C14 should alert the Front tire low pressure.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2022, 09:40:09 PM »
With the PAD thing and software?  Which sensor was cloned?

What is the $30?

Does the currently installed sensor weak battery?

When I bought my bike, it came with the original sensors, not installed. I got some “universal” TPMS sensors that were $30 a piece. There is no currently installed sensor. I believe the sensors have been dead so long that there has been component failure. There is the ID tag on it, though.

I’ll try the two minutes, then wake the sensor tomorrow before I head to work.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 07:26:01 AM »
Thank you both for the updates! 

How easy is it to replace the TPMS battery? And what size/type?  That was the problem with the 2nd gen C14 TPMS where it was difficult to replace the battery compared to the 1st gen TPMS.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2022, 07:44:45 AM »
Subscribed to this for future needs.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 08:53:16 AM »
So turning the bike on, waiting, then waking the sensor yielded no results. I'm going to install the sensor anyway. If still nothing, then I'll have my Kawi dealer program the ECU for the sensor. It's possible the sensors I got weren't the original ones to the bike. You never know. I am not giving up, though. My new front tire should be here today. I might get it installed this weekend. Dunno.

Offline johnchen

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2022, 02:11:28 PM »
So turning the bike on, waiting, then waking the sensor yielded no results. I'm going to install the sensor anyway. If still nothing, then I'll have my Kawi dealer program the ECU for the sensor. It's possible the sensors I got weren't the original ones to the bike. You never know. I am not giving up, though. My new front tire should be here today. I might get it installed this weekend. Dunno.

May I know how do you program universal TPMS? Program it as Mazda3 model?

Another debug suggestion.
1. Copy your rear wheel sensor to universal TPMS by choosing Mazda3 model. (Rear sensor works when you are riding C14 right)
2. Turn on C14, wait for 2 mins (service manual says 3 mins), Wake universal TPMS and you should see rear tire low pressure.
     a. If you see rear tire low pressue, Front TPMS ID in KIPASS does not match with the sensor come with your C14.
     b. If you see nothing, we sould figure out what happens on your universal TPMS and programmer.

BTW, I just come back after 100mile riding, Mazda3 TPMS working no problem.
If you are in SF bay area, maybe I can help to read ID, my KDS3 SW was old, not sure if I can read newer model after 2011.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2022, 02:40:58 PM »
If you are in SF bay area, maybe I can help to read ID, my KDS3 SW was old, not sure if I can read newer model after 2011.

Good for you for offering to help if people are in the area. I don't think BigRed is, but it's good to offer.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 11:49:46 AM »
Thanks for the offer. I'm not in your area, though. I'll get it figured out, one way or another.

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2022, 08:19:41 AM »
Definitely of interest to me.

My '12 is starting to show a Low TPMS Battery indication and I may try this for an experiment. I recently came into possession of a KDS3 and can go the ECU registration route if need be.

Question about the Autel MaxiTPMS pad: Which OSes are supported by its software?