Author Topic: Stock Battery lasted...20 months?  (Read 19719 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Stock Battery lasted...20 months?
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »
The trick would be to get a 30 yards cord to the next socket  ;D

Yep, that could really pose an issue.   Oh well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 04:14:37 PM »
yeap, I could connect the Optimate to the bike without taking the battery out. The trick would be to get a 30 yards cord to the next socket  ;D
It's just that my place is in a block of apartments with a common underground garage for about 100 cars (I own 2 spots) and there's no sockets on the walls in the garage itself. None. The reason is that those would be at everybody's reach and they couldn't meter them individually to whoever uses them. Or that's what I've been told.

I'm in the same boat here in Texas for the time being. But since I'm in Texas now I can ride most days and don't need to use a battery tender.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 04:20:35 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »
For those with no power outlet... http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-1163-Solar-Maintainer/dp/B004Q83TGO

Yep, I thought about mentioning that, but just about anywhere there is non-private parking, that would be stolen immediately.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 05:26:21 PM »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
Or this. Long distance is the next best thing to being there
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »
Or this. Long distance is the next best thing to being there
Martin said 30 yards, not 3000 yards.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
Tomato, tomatoe
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 12:38:46 AM »
Tomato, tomatoe

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Anyway, it is an underground garage, so not much sun down there  :-\
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 05:26:30 AM »
Anyway, it is an underground garage, so not much sun down there  :-\

LOL! 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 10:17:23 AM »
It also takes far less practice to hit a target at 30 yards. The muzzle blast alone would serve the purpose if you missed.  ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 12:44:32 PM »
You ought to see what one of those will do to a typical mud wall parapet on a building in Iraq.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »
Yes, I should! We were using M-21's when I was in.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
My son was doing  armourer work on some Barrett 50s  for some tier one guys and went out several times with them as a ride along to test fire. Interesting pics and stories.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »
I too was a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. fan until just recently when it let me down twice, maybe thrice. (if I may allowed to deviate from old macho weapons talk in a Battery thread without getting shot  ::)  )

I have 4 bikes on tenders, the 2010 C14 started giving me low battery warnings on a recent trip, I let that go and just replaced the battery thinking that a Battery Tender Jr couldn't make a battery last forever. Then a few weeks ago I tried to start my DR up (the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. showed a green steady light) and it barely cranked 3 slow revs before going to relay clicking. Checked all the connections and even tried jumping straight to the starter...barely a turn over. Ordered a new battery and it now spins like a top. Just last week my water buffalo Deltran Battery Tender Jr. is now showing red and the battery is down in the 11 volt range so another new battery is on order. These last two batteries were only 2 years old, so I'm planning of moving on to a desulfating charger which I had avoided earlier because it cost more than the battery it is supposed to save. I see where there is this one device that will hook up to 4 batteries from one maintainer and it automatically gives each battery 10 minutes at a time of exclusive service before it moves on to the next battery. This would help keep the cost down a bit...but is 10 minutes at a time every 30 minutes enough attention for desulfacting maintenence or should I bite the bullet and just get 4 of the full time charging desulphating chargers.

TecMate OptiMATE 4 vs Pulsetech Xtreme talk and comments encouraged please.

Firearms/explosives/other macho stuff talk :cannon: , not so much desired here (dare I to dream?  :doh:).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2016, 03:49:14 PM »
I too was a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. fan until just recently when it let me down twice, maybe thrice.

My first Battery Tender Jr. worked great for 3 years and then starting acting strangely 1 year ago- flashing lights that made no sense on a perfectly good battery.  So I bought another to replace it and it is working OK over the last year.  $20 isn't steep, but only lasting 3 years kinda sucks.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2016, 06:11:00 AM »
I've been using the same BT Jr with my bike since 11/2009 with no issues. Purchased a full sized BT on 1/2015 to use with the other batteries on my vehicles (moving from one to another) with no issues as well.

I replaced the stock battery in my bike last year with a Motobatt. Not because I was having any issues with my battery but because that battery was more than 6 years old and I knew that I was pressing my luck.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2017, 07:17:37 AM »
TecMate OptiMATE 4 vs Pulsetech Xtreme talk and comments encouraged please.

So no desulfating charger experts here with advice for me? 

Maybe I should have asked about the best oil to use. :P

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »
Our batteries don't use oil.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2017, 07:38:21 AM »