Author Topic: Objectively speaking, how good/bad is the stock C14 suspension?  (Read 19336 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Objectively speaking, how good/bad is the stock C14 suspension?
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »
Exactly!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline GREEKWARLORD

• GTR 1400 '08
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 09:24:04 AM »
at 286-301 lbs this bike holding down pretty well i think!!!! :-\
no need to change rear suspension yet,upgrade of the front one in my plans(new harder springs).....
72000 KMS,ANOTHER 428000 LEFT WITH GTR 1400!! I HOPE..

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 11:32:36 AM »
I also find the stock C14 suspension a bit harsh.  My C10 rides better with a ZZX rear shock and RaceTec gold valves in the forks.
I found the same thing. My C10 (I say MY because my C10 is highly modified) had better brakes and suspension than my C14.
So  on the  C14 I went  with new springs front and back (for my weight)  and  Traxxion AK20's in the front and an Ohlins in the back. Holy cow!! Huge improvement in smoothness  and compliancy and very 'planted' on any roads- bumpy or smooth or curvy.

Apparently I am  very spoiled because I know what a good suspension is supposed to feel like. My KTM has unbelievably fantastic suspension (re-spung and re-valved)  and so does my KLR (after upgrading it) and doing track days on my friends Jixxer that also has really good suspension I  now know when I get on stock suspension how bad it feels to me. The difference is night and day.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
I found the same thing. My C10 (I say MY because my C10 is highly modified) had better brakes and suspension than my C14.
So  on the  C14 I went  with new springs front and back (for my weight)  and  Traxxion AK20's in the front and an Ohlins in the back. Holy cow!! Huge improvement in smoothness  and compliancy and very 'planted' on any roads- bumpy or smooth or curvy.

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to modify my C14, like I did the C10. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
I was really hoping I wouldn't have to modify my C14, like I did the C10.
You do have  options.  At the very least   talk to Traxxion and have your stock shocks re-valved and depending on your weight and how you ride you may need re-spinging.  The difference will be  like your stock C10 was and what you have now.  I have had folks follow me  on their C14  tell me that when braking hard the front end 'wanders'. We put a cable tie on the front fork to see how much the fork was compressing  and sure enough the front suspension bottomed out  and was flattening the front tire down to the rim causing the wandering.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

elp_jc

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »
I'm going to search for a thread on how people set the suspension up (how many 'clicks' on preload, rebound, etc). And how the bike comes out of the factory. I like to corner aggressively, and like firm suspension, but I'm used to the adjustable BMW suspension for the last decade. At 155# in shorts, I'm quite light compared to how manufacturers set up suspension (190# rider?). Will never carry a passenger on that bike, so the good news is once set up I don't have to change any settings. Heard the 2015 will have stiffer rear suspension, but don't think with my weight it'd be a problem with a 2013. Can't wait to get this bike and start tearing mountain roads in early spring :D.

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 11:10:52 AM »
I'm going to search for a thread on how people set the suspension up (how many 'clicks' on preload, rebound, etc). And how the bike comes out of the factory. I like to corner aggressively, and like firm suspension, but I'm used to the adjustable BMW suspension for the last decade. At 155# in shorts, I'm quite light compared to how manufacturers set up suspension (190# rider?). Will never carry a passenger on that bike, so the good news is once set up I don't have to change any settings. Heard the 2015 will have stiffer rear suspension, but don't think with my weight it'd be a problem with a 2013. Can't wait to get this bike and start tearing mountain roads in early spring :D.

It's amazing sport touring bike; heavy on the sport! 
COG #548

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 11:15:37 AM »

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4480.msg51913;topicseen#new

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »
At 155# in shorts, I'm quite light compared to how manufacturers set up suspension (190# rider?).

I am about 150# and agree it is probably set for a much heavier person.  I hope you don't wear shorts riding, however.... but if you do, make sure to wear an extra extra extra large white T-shirt, flip flops, a chrome tupperwear hat, and put your hand on your hip while riding ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 10:44:28 PM »
I hope you don't wear shorts riding, however.
NEVER; I'm an ATGATT guy (in triple-digits, I use Draggin jeans, shorty Sidi boots, and mesh jackets, but still ATGATT IMO). Just haven't weighed myself with gear, but maybe 10# more?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 05:46:28 AM »
Just haven't weighed myself with gear, but maybe 10# more?

In the winter, I bet my gear weighs at least 25 pounds.

My issue is last year I dieted and lost 25 pounds and over this past year (and especially the last month) I gained 10 of it back again, damnit!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 06:28:12 AM »
In the winter, I bet my gear weighs at least 25 pounds.

My issue is last year I dieted and lost 25 pounds and over this past year (and especially the last month) I gained 10 of it back again, damnit!

And the holiday eating season is just getting started. Good luck Max!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
Put the 112 lb wife on the C14 this weekend and did 120 miles.  Added 10 clicks to the rear shock and the bike rode much better.  Like someone already said, the bike seems to be setup to support a heavy rider.  With the additional 112 lbs the harshness was gone. 
COG #548

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
Its no secret, aftermarket suspensions are WAY 'MO BETTER than stock. C14 is no exception to the rule 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »
The C14's handling seems to be more tire pressure dependent that most other bikes.  It definitely likes higher pressures.  If my pressure falls below 42, especially in the front, it starts to handle like a turd.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 09:14:30 AM »
The C14's handling seems to be more tire pressure dependent that most other bikes.  It definitely likes higher pressures.  If my pressure falls below 42, especially in the front, it starts to handle like a turd.

With PR2 or PR3's and ambient temps in the 80's or above I noticed that the front was happier at 44 psi, and the rear at around 45 psi. This bike is very sensitive with tires/pressures for some reason, but once you realize that it can boogie like a fat lady at a wedding reception.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 09:37:16 AM »
I've had mine for several years now, and always though the suspension was somewhat harsh, and unforgiving.

Last summer, I dropped my wallet beside the interstate. I knew just where it was, but it was 100 miles from home.  It was late, but very warm.

I filled the tank, and arrived to pick up my wallet @ 30 minutes later. 

Many of the bikes "faults" ended up being more, "Oh, now I get it..."

My Ninja 100 has  penske fork cartridges and a penske shock.  Ohlins steering damper, too.  With that being said, if I had to take a motorcycle to 150mph, I'll take the c14. Bags and all. The suspension that felt  a little harsh, and unforgiving became very nice at elevated speeds. Same is true for wind protection, and engine power.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »
I've had mine for several years now, and always though the suspension was somewhat harsh, and unforgiving.

Last summer, I dropped my wallet beside the interstate. I knew just where it was, but it was 100 miles from home.  It was late, but very warm.

I filled the tank, and arrived to pick up my wallet @ 30 minutes later. 

Many of the bikes "faults" ended up being more, "Oh, now I get it..."

My Ninja 100 has  penske fork cartridges and a penske shock.  Ohlins steering damper, too.  With that being said, if I had to take a motorcycle to 150mph, I'll take the c14. Bags and all. The suspension that felt  a little harsh, and unforgiving became very nice at elevated speeds. Same is true for wind protection, and engine power.

100 miles in 30 minutes? My math skills are a bit rusty but wouldn't that be 200mph?   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 11:39:59 AM »
100 miles in 30 minutes? My math skills are a bit rusty but wouldn't that be 200mph?   ;)

Oh now C', let's not let mere facts get in the way of a good story.  ;D

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 11:53:40 AM »
This C14?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....