Author Topic: Washing the bike  (Read 20094 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Washing the bike
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »
Wax?

Yes Shrek, and not the stuff that comes outta your ears.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:46 AM »
Is this a Harley board?

Jesus, if your bike is clean you obviously don't ride it.   :o

+1

and six pages of "cleaning a bike"
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »
Yes Shrek, and not the stuff that comes outta your ears.

:rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
I just had another thought....what do you guys use to clean the lower fairing?  I wash it pretty good, I use WD-40 to get the tar and TOUGH stuff off, but what do you use to protect it?  I didn't think that regular wax would be a good thing.  I haven't used ANYTHING on it except the WD-40 for the front.  That WD-40 is also one heckuva wheel cleaner too!  I DON'T use knock-offs there, I use only the real deal.  Works like a charm.

I would CLEAN it like any other plastic.  To protect it (and prevent stuff sticking to it) I tried to use synthetic wax on it and that was a BIG mistake (one that took a lot of time to reverse)  :)   Now I just wipe it with that 303 Aerospace stuff...

I would never leave WD-40 on plastic- it has solvents that will likely destroy the plastic over time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
I drug my bottom fairing across a curb in New Mexico going from the gas station across grass to starbucks parking lot. Man the crud that was on that thing!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »
I use wax on the lower fairing, why do you think that it's not a good thing?

I didn't think it's a good thing because it is flat.  Not any other reason other than it's flat.  Removing wax from a flat (non-gloss) surface is TOUGH!

@Steve, I wash mine when time allows.  I generally am riding it.  Now it's too DAMNED HOT!  When I get on my bike to go for a quick shot up to the grocery, and I wind up smelling like two-a-days, it's too hot!  Ironically, I have never parked my bike because it's too cold! 

There have been a couple of times that you couldn't tell the color of it.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler