Author Topic: Opinion wanted  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Delfox

Opinion wanted
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »
I have been in touch with Murph regarding Cruise control for my gtr(c14) He has recommended the ccs100 as opposed to the Rostra and im just wondering which is the better of the two regarding fitting and reliability, i assume the reliability depends on the correct fitting.
 Thanksin advance for any advice .

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
Re: Opinion wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:08:54 PM »
I've had two ccs100's. One on a 1991 and one one my 2008.
Both worked fine for me after a little fiddling. I had the throttle chain to long on the 91 and needed more vacuum on the 08.
Solved the 08 vacuum problem with vacuum hoses on all throttle bodies. Initially tried using only one vacuum source. This was with using Murph's vacuum canister. Note - getting the vacuum lines on the C14 throttle bodies is a bit--, er difficult.
The ccs100 has a reputation of failing from low vacuum in the mountains at high elevation. My plan, should I encounter this problem, is to use two vacuum canisters in series to double the vacuum supply. Waiting for a mountains trip to test.
Rostra costs more, reported to work better and some have reported problems with installation. Rostra is electric where the ccs100 is vacuum operated.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:34:47 PM »
I have been in touch with Murph regarding Cruise control for my gtr(c14) He has recommended the ccs100 as opposed to the Rostra

The problem is most have only done one or the other. Did Murph give any reasons for his recommendation???
The Rostra just seems like it would be simpler to install. My Rostra works fine, but then I've never installed a CCs100.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:02:38 AM »
I installed a Rostra about 4 years ago. It stopped working last year but not the Rostra's fault. The way I attached the cable to the throttle caused it to bend and fatigue. Easy to fix but I just haven't gotten around to doing it. I'm a fan of all electronic versus vacuum.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:15:51 AM »
Delfox,
If you have a C14, I'd go w/ the Rostra.

I've installed both. I usually use the Audiovox CCS100 for a carb'd bike, and a Rostra for the newer FI'd bikes.
The C14 has a VSS, and it's faster and easier to install a Rostra.
The CCS100 is cheaper, but requires a lot of other parts to buy, too. So, in the end, I think it winds up being around $50 cheaper, but more install time/work.

Most carb'd bikes don't have a VSS, and plenty of vaccuum sorces.
With the Audiovox, you have to make a vaccuum reservoir, which also takes up space.

To me, the all-electronic Rostra's the choice for a C14, and the install is well-documented.

Both will work though.

Suggestions;
1. Order the 250-1223 Rostra kit.
2. Order the MU-162 switch mounting plate bracket
3. Order the 250-3592 switch w/ engaged light
4. Order 2- MU-141 relays.

One relay is for the brake system tie-in.
The other relay is for the engaged light on the switch.

Having this switch/relay setup will help you in more ways than just visually seeing when the cruise is engaged. It also can help you quickly diagnose if you're having a mechanical issue or an electrical one, too.

I've installed about 8 of these now, and installed mine on my 2011 C14 as well, 3 years ago.
Love them!
Good luck, whichever one you choose.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr