Author Topic: Pain in the Neck!  (Read 8381 times)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
Pain in the Neck!
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:32:27 AM »
I've been on the road now for two weeks and nearly 6K.  I am consistently getting a VERY sore burning pain right at the base of my neck between my shoulder blades.  I've tried EVERYTHING.  I just bought a Schuberth helmet thinking that my old Nolan was heavy.  Still get it!  I sit almost straight up and down on the bike, and I don't feel like my riding position is the problem.  I guess it could be. 

Your thoughts...?
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline COGnosticat0r

Re: Pain in the Neck!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:14:13 AM »
Possibly you are getting old  ;)  I have degenerative disc disease in my neck and I have neck pain after a motorcycle ride.

I visit my chiropractor every two weeks for my neck and lower back. 

I think it is wind buffeting whether I feel it or not, I am still having to keep my head still against the wind.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:57 AM »
I'm going to the Dr. today about something similar...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:41:12 AM »
Even though you may not be uncomfortable, I am guessing there is still some minor ergonomic "tweaking" that needs to be done. The slightest changes can do wonders. On my cruiser, the bike was very comfortable, but I still got some shoulder/neck pain on very long runs. Finally, I just rotated my bars down a few degrees. The pain disappeared. Bike became my Iron Butt traveler. Same story on my old mountain bike. Bike felt good, but I was getting some back pain. A 3/8" adjustment raising the handlebar stem did the trick. Pain Gone. Don't give up with adjustments.

I am putting Phil's wedges to the test soon on my C14 to see if it helps with the last little bit of wrist pressue and numbness.

When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline mtn.connie

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:46:09 AM »
As a personal trainer w/ a masters in anatomy and physiology, I will tell you that it is specific muscle weakness/imbalance. I`ve heard the complaint a hundred times and also heard..."oh, I am in the gym X times per week. I couldn`t be that". It is. There are hundreds of muscle groups in the shoulder/back/neck area that need to be CONDITIONED (not necessarily strengthened) to maintain the hand and arm position of riding for extended periods. A regimin of push ups, lat pulls, front and side shoulder raises, kettlebell swings and arm (not elbow) planks would be a good start. Over developed pecs can also be a problem...too many bench presses! A great trainer capable of doing muscle testing, movement screening and postural assessment could be more specific to your individual needs and would be the ideal route.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
Same situation. I switched to a carbon fiber helmet as anything else was tough on my neck. Got an Xpeed CF (they make them for HJC).

Degenerative arthritis blah blah blah. Too many years racing probably, landing jumps. The doc wanted to fuse some vertebra, but I ran out of his office as docs who want to fix things with knives rarely do.

That was about 14 years ago. Still riding/racing, but I shop for LIGHT helmets. And like Mtn said, do some training to build up your muscle tone. Work on your posture too, all the time. No slouching.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »
I use to get those a lot. Two things fixed it for me. Yoga once a week (if I can make it!) and making sure my shoulders are relaxed and dropped. I realized my shoulders blades were slightly squeezed when I was riding. A riser and a conscious effort to relax my shoulders helped me. Do not remember when the last time I had that pain - but I use to get it all the time.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
I've encountered the same thing, predominately just Left of center, since I got my new 1973 - 750 Honda. Even my Gold-wing, until I installed a driver backrest. I don't know the answer but a backrest removed the problem. Part is the weight of a helmet, being pushed by the airflow and a kinda un-natural seating position. Good luck, visited a Dr. and explained how the pain started when I assumed the riding position. His fix, "don't do that"!
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »
I'm going to the Dr. today about something similar...

The rot gut vodka you drink may have something to do with your ailments. :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
If you can get a phone book or computer, check at the next overnight stop for a massage therapist. It will only be a short relief, but some of the pain could be just internal swelling pushing on nerve endings.
 The fixed position of your arms sets it up. A massuse can concentrate on the shoulder and neck muscles and really help with the tension that builds during the days ride.
I have my  MT on speed dial, she lives around the corner, and since I'm a chef, she will accecpt a dinner for an hour of work.
I have been on extended rides and never had any problem finding an MT.
I won't live without mine.
Good luck, and ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »
The rot gut vodka you drink may have something to do with your ailments. :o

I should be so lucky.  Then I wouldn't feel it as much.  During the trip into Ohio, it was killing me.  Looks like a pinched noive according to the Doc.  I'll know for sure about the prognosis in about 10 days or so.  Right now I'm thinking any long MC trips are out.  There goes the National.... :(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 05:54:16 PM »
Somthing I learned the past couple years, Your head should be back and balanced over top of the rest of your spine, with the curve of your neck (if it is still there) acts almost as a shock absorber. Think of it this way, imagine grasping a 1" dowel rod in your hand and place a bowling ball on it into one of the finger holes, balancing the ball with the rod perfectly vertical position is realitivly simple, now tilt your hand and see how much harder it becomes to keep still...... Your head weighs as much as that bowling ball and when your neck starts leaning out from the body your body is trying to compensate with muscles in the lower neck and shoulders that I won't even try to spell here.

Hope it gets to feeling better, that's rough.

Z

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
Glad to know I'm not the only one. 
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 03:52:23 AM »
Man, I thought it was just me too.. Mine is at the base, right of center. But it doesn't just stop at pain, but dizziness sets in, and I have to ice down.
Don't go to the chiropractor often enough, about once every 6 to 8 weeks, and haven't thought about a massage therapist, I guess for fear of being beaten by my gf for suggesting it. I've asked her to help my out by massaging my neck and shoulders, but she is just lousy at her futile attempts.
Been thinking about going to a neurologist for a consultation.

Good luck on your visit, and hope it's a quick fix! Please post, so we can try it too!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:02 AM »
I've had pain radiating down from my neck to my upper arm and it jumps around to different areas (neck, shoulder, upper arm) or all three at the same time.  I was thinking I couldn't have pulled that many muscles.  What got me to go to the Dr. was the tingling in my thumb, arm, and shoulder when I held my arm a certain way or put pressure on it.  For the last couple of years if I drove or rode a good distance (+200 miles or so) I would have my right arm go to sleep if I slept on my right side.  It would only do that occasionally and not enough to go to the Dr. about.  The tingling was what got me to go.  In looking at pinched nerves it says going to a massage therapist and/or a Chiropractor can help.  I really don't want anyone cutting on me near my spine.  They took quite a few x-rays yesterday and will have another appointment in 10 days to review.  If he sees something bad then he'll call me earlier.  Here's hoping I don't hear from him.....   I knew that sword was too heavy.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 07:24:19 AM »
My Chiropractor is amazing Jim, my lower back and neck issues which I have had most of my life, is now non-existent. Unless you go to a Chiropractor, anyone else is just guessing and wasting your money. I hope you get fixed up soon buddy!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 10:25:22 AM »
Thanks for all the thoughts.  Was between internet connections on the road, and couldn't reply.  I don't know what it is, but I don't like it.  When I get home, I am starting a new job.  I have promised to make some real changes.  I am definitely going to reacquaint myself with the gym.  I used to go pretty regularly, but I've gotten lazy.

As for getting old, I think that's it.  I've lived hard, worked hard, and played hard.  Now my body is telling me all about it.  Should have listened to my old man...Oh I do EVERY DAY on this trip.  We have the same aches and pains.  He's 68 so there's hope for me!  I commonly refer to myself as a FOG (Fat Old Guy)

I just don't like this pain in the neck!  Feels like someone is stabbing me!  Gotta run, the road is calling.  We are 6K from home, and probably have that far to get back!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »
 I had that stabbing pain once in a while after I bought my '99 C10 back in '99...  The 1st thing I did was to install some bar risers & the pain went away & hasn't returned!
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Makz58

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »
OK I have the same issues most of my life diagnosed with two herniated disks in my lower back and one in my neck that goes down my left arm to my first finger making it numb...Chiropractor has kept me going monthly visits..Without I would not be riding today. Amen.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 04:55:56 AM »
My pain in the neck is a herniated disc between C5/C6.  Strangely enough it wasn't the forum, as I suspected earlier.  Going to the Doc today to see what to do about it.  I'm hoping non-surgery at this point but we'll see.