Author Topic: Gas in the airbox! (Finally resolved)  (Read 35478 times)

Offline Engraverwilliam

Re: Gas in the airbox! DAMMIT!
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 06:49:09 AM »
Sorry, but I think your frustration is misplaced. .
Yes sir it is. I love this bike and it is cetanly NOT a lemon.

Circumstances left me no choice but to take a work day, have the bike towed to Hudson and to trust thier work. I did leave it with them at a bad time when they where understaffed.
I made a promise to my wife when I had to get into savings to get another bike when I ruined the first bike ( I AM NOT A MOTORCYCLE MECHANIC) was the promise made. I am not to take apart any part of the engine on this bike. I am to leave it to a professional.
I am also naive in the fact that I figured buying it from a dealer would be ideal and that all maintenance would be done. I was wrong. That bike must of been just sitting since the thing was probably traded in.

She is NOT a lemon. I've just been through the ringer the last two weeks and I am tired of it. I hate being in a cage now that I've been riding.
Yes I Shouldovegone (see what I did there?) to Steve. But At this time I had no way of doing that. My hands where tied or so I thought. If I had gone against my wife and pulled the carbs and sent them to Steve then broke them or the bike on the re-install Things would be worse right now. My wife supports me riding and was understanding when I blew up the first bike. She had been "understanding" about this even if the core problem is exactly the same as the last bike.

Edit:I will be talking to them(Hudson) about why they didn't at least advise me that the carbs where having an issue.
The second carb had a drip and they somehow stemmed it (tapped the bowl?) leading me to believe that the issue was gone.
The invoice stated FUEL SYSTEM as being one of the things they did. I assumed that the carbs ARE the main part of the fuel system which I will be bringing up also.
I feel they dropped the ball here as well. I hope I can at least get some clarification at the most some discount...because they will not be getting a great YELP from me if they do not do something.
The inline off switch is something I can do though. I hope it is enough for now.

I just want to ride.
William Evans
2001 Kawasaki zg1000 Concours - Age 45 , Los Angeles, CA

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 07:16:57 AM »
putting anything in the fuel line has it's disadvantages also. I have written quite a bit on that subject over the years also.   Search stuff like " fuel filter" and " tank venting". HTH, Steve

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 07:52:40 AM »
thanks, I will Steve.
William Evans

Offline JDM

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 08:03:22 AM »
William, I have an extra set of float bowls that I can send to Steve, so he can install overflow tubes if you are willing to make arrangements to pay him for his work. After you have installed the new float bowls, you send me your old float bowls. In the meantime, if it were me, I would go to a good hardware store an purchase a threaded 1/8" NPT (national pipe thread) 1/4 turn ball valve and two 1/8" NPT x 5/16" hose barbs and install it in the fuel line where I could get at the valve, and do whatever it takes to remember to turn the valve off when the Connie is not in use. As Steve stated, there are some problems with adding this valve, and it is my opinion, this valve is a stopgap measure until you install the new float bowls. If you do install this valve, I recommend that you run on the top half of your fuel tank.   
HTH JD   https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/products-and-pricing
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2015, 10:40:17 AM »
Can you replace fuel bowls without removing the carbs?

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
I don't think so. Seems like a tight fit to handle screws from the underside.

Steve's videos make it easy to remove the carbs. Just spend some time and it won't be that bad. It's just disconnecting couple of cables and rubber boots, etc. It's not that bad.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
Regarding putting anything inline with the fuel tube. There are lots written about it. Read what steve and others wrote on it and make a your decision. Related problems can be a hit and miss. I think in your case you have no choice if you do not get the overlow tubes.

If you aren't going to get over flow tubes I thing you at least need to put a on/off fuel switch. Especially since you have had one near death experience. ESPECIALLY after the carbs were supposedly "cleaned" less than 3 weeks ago when there was an obvious a leak on your 2nd carb identified by the mechanic there.

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »
I think they are going to tell me that the carb service is separate. However the (owner?) slipped out tht he knew about the leaky carb. They somehow stemmed the leak (smack the bowl maybe?) but 20 days later it is back and with a vengeance. I am going to bitch at them that if it was a separate procedure and charge from the general service then he should have told me so and I would have paid to have it don them while they had the bike apart for the valve job. At the least I should have been told. I plan on pressing this point to maybe get a little scraped from the bill at the least. I also learned my lesson on not scheduling an appointment. By just dropping it off to them they took their sweet ass time. Perhaps in the future when I can get a garage to work in and a backup bike I will start wrenching again. I simply cannot wrench in my carport on my daily driver. but I actually DO listen to you all here. I just couldn't act.
William Evans

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2015, 01:06:39 PM »
what about this, from your other thread

Engraverwilliam

"Re: Taking by bike in for full service tomorrow
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 12:35:13 am »

Reservoir needed fixing where the hose connects. They said everything else was fine and just re-specked as it was all put back together. Valves and carbs adjusted accordingly. Looks like they might have ultrasounded the carbs they are shiny again and as I said before, the thing really purrs now,."

Clean on the outside, not clean on the inside. A 2 dollar can of brakecleen spray job.

This is not the reputable shop you thought it was. Sorry.

Steve

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »
Yup!

This is not the reputable shop you thought it was. Sorry.

Steve

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »
I don't have a garage, only a covered carport. All my work is done there. I have done my oil changes, valve adjustments, drain and fill coolant, all from here. If I didn't then I too would have to take it in, and homey don't play that game. I do as much works as I can myself.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »
Can you replace fuel bowls without removing the carbs?

Difficult but yes you can. Having hex head screws is all but a must though; don't think I would attempt with the stock Phillips head screws in place...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2015, 06:34:05 PM »
Well, William,  you are not the only person on this forum that purchased a Concours only to have to throw a bunch of money at it in addition to not being able to ride it. I have basically ridden mine twice since November. I could have chosen to go thru the bike piecemeal and rode it between repairs and maintenance items, I didn't.  I did everything I could think, maintenance wise, and also repaired the issues caused by the PO. All while working at least 75 hours per week. To be fair, that's a large reason why it took so long. I put about 1700 miles on her and the fork tubes are now at the suspension shop getting rebuilt. We'll see how long it goes this time before I have to fix something else.

I firmly believe that once I get it all sorted out,   I will be able to put a bunch of trouble free miles on it. Not for nothin', but, I knew I was buying a used vehicle. If I had it to do all over again, I would have approached things a bit differently. Hindsight is always 20/20. If dealing with my motorcycle is the worst thing I have to do this year, I'll be on easy street.

Next weekend, when I take her out and spank her in the twisties between Borrego Springs and Julian, the time, money, and aggravation will be the farthest thing from my mind.   ;D
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2015, 03:43:58 PM »
well they said it would be done today soI went over to pick it up. Not Done.  However they loaned me a BMW for the durration of the repair time to make up for it....
William Evans

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »
What are they doing now? I thought you got it back. Didn't you say it all cost you 1200 bucks a couple of days ago.

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2015, 05:02:29 PM »
600 for the service... havent paid it yet of course. the owner apologized said when i brought in the bike that I had almost 60 bikes ahead of me. they said it is still not done gave me the BMW to use. the rest is the cash I was paying for rental car and parking at my job.
William Evans

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2015, 09:13:11 PM »
Its funny how they start work on my bike once I have thiers. They called me to let me know that my petcock was also leaking. funny how that works huh?
William Evans

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »
This shop seems to be a total piece of sh!t. you should never take your bike back there again.

They just discovered that your petcock is leaking, carbs are leaking both happened 3 weeks after they supposedly rejuvenated your bike bumper to bumper.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:19:03 PM by DC Concours »

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2015, 10:07:33 PM »
I tend to agree. guys.
William Evans

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »
They was wearing lipstick.