Author Topic: Lane Splitting  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Cold Streak

Lane Splitting
« on: December 08, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-motorcycle-lane-sharing-all-public-roads/qP86QbjN

Even if you don't want to do it yourself help out the rest of us.  I personally wouldn't do it except at stoplights or true stop and go situations.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Lane Splitting
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 01:42:59 PM »
It's just so sad that all the AMA wants to support is no helmets. ::)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline tomp

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »
It's riders like these that mess up legal lane splitting for other states.  Comments say this was in Atlanta, definitely not in CA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRawjlH8Img&feature=em-share_video_user
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »
I don't care where it is, the moron was riding like an idiot.  He's putting himself and others in danger.  I can't see this (lane splitting) going national as it seems more of a state regulation....not federal.  Also, I can't imagine the carnage that would occur if it did go national.  Just think of all those car drivers that aren't used to lane splitting seeing someone trying to get ahead of them in a traffic jam on the East coast... ::)   Door will open, lanes will narrow, people will get hurt and killed.  I can't support this.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »
I agree.  It would most likely raise the death toll of riders greatly.  Car drivers don't see us when we stay in our lanes. Imagine the carnage if every rider was given the right to move between cars.  I've seen bicycle messengers in NYC ride like that, but most City traffic moves rather slowly, anyway.  Even if passed I won't be doing it, especially on a bike with a full faring and side cases. 

Would make insurance rates go through the roof, too....  They are already too high as is.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 03:58:26 PM »
I don't care where it is, the moron was riding like an idiot.  He's putting himself and others in danger.  I can't see this (lane splitting) going national as it seems more of a state regulation....not federal.  Also, I can't imagine the carnage that would occur if it did go national.  Just think of all those car drivers that aren't used to lane splitting seeing someone trying to get ahead of them in a traffic jam on the East coast... ::)   Door will open, lanes will narrow, people will get hurt and killed.  I can't support this.

Agree completely. That said, I can see reasonable lane splitting if traffic is going less than 25 mph and you cannot pass while splitting at more then 10 mph faster then the traffic. Seems to work in Europe but I think the average driver is better and or at least more aware of motorcycles.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »
Here in the midwest I can see it turning into a new redneck drinking game.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 06:24:06 PM »
Agree completely. That said, I can see reasonable lane splitting if traffic is going less than 25 mph and you cannot pass while splitting at more then 10 mph faster then the traffic. Seems to work in Europe but I think the average driver is better and or at least more aware of motorcycles.

Based on how they don't see motorcycles now, I'm not sure I'd agree with that.  As a rider driving a car, I can certainly say that I am, but average Joe Schmoe, I don't think so.  Plus you have the anger quotient with each other, let alone us trying to get by them.  It's a recipe for disaster where I live..  I can see Joe Redneck in his beat up pickup thinking I'll show that so and so and pull out just because he can.  All he has to say is 'I didn't see him.'

Where it's already legal they're somewhat used to it but to spring it on the average commuter?

Anyway, I don't trust any car driver when I'm on a bike...

Here in the midwest I can see it turning into a new redneck drinking game.

Yeah, with MC silhouettes on the car door...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 06:35:37 PM »
Jim, I now see why you are the admin here.  We would have deaths here every day just like you described.  Also in my locale, there are so many different ethnics who's best is to herd their gold Camry's between the curbs at half the posted speed limit.  Forcing them to see us and understand what we are legally doing will go way beyond their comprehension, when behind the wheel.  That's not a prejudiced statement, that comes from 30 years as an out side traveling sales rep.  tp

I am in the Houston Tx area.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
I signed it, thanks
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
Lane splitting has been going on at all speeds in California forever. From red lights to superslab.  No big deal, no stats to show its unsafe, and who cares if you don't want to do it don't. They got old, they got young, they have road rage drivers.

But hey why stop those who want to?  I mean just this year I qualified for an AARP card, but i don't believe the government should decide if i wear a helmet nor if i lane split.

But no matter what the laws are I choose to wear a helmet but i lane split like hell in all the states.  I'll gladly pay a ticket since my nanny state grumpy old gubment determined I shouldn;t do it

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »
Based on how they don't see motorcycles now, I'm not sure I'd agree with that.  As a rider driving a car, I can certainly say that I am, but average Joe Schmoe, I don't think so.  Plus you have the anger quotient with each other, let alone us trying to get by them.  It's a recipe for disaster where I live..  I can see Joe Redneck in his beat up pickup thinking I'll show that so and so and pull out just because he can.  All he has to say is 'I didn't see him.'

Where it's already legal they're somewhat used to it but to spring it on the average commuter?

Anyway, I don't trust any car driver when I'm on a bike...

Yeah, with MC silhouettes on the car door...

This isn't a law forcing YOU to lane split, its about letting those who choose to lane split do it without our usual "citations" ;D.  But then again, a few know the good for all  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 07:56:44 PM »
Let's get back to reality with hard numbers.... not that I'm from the "show-me" state, I just spent time lane splitting riding in california and saw how its nothing.

http://www.powernationtv.com/post/berkeley-study-finds-motorcycle-lane-splitting-safer-than-ever

Offline tomp

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
Lane splitting has been going on at all speeds in California forever. From red lights to superslab.  No big deal, no stats to show its unsafe, and who cares if you don't want to do it don't. They got old, they got young, they have road rage drivers.

But hey why stop those who want to?  I mean just this year I qualified for an AARP card, but i dpon;t beleive the government should decide if i wear a helmet nor lane split.

But no matter what the laws are I choose to wear a helmet but i lane split like hell in all the states.  I'll gladly pay a ticket since my nanny state grumpy old gubment determined I shouldn;t do it

No problem with your beliefs.  Come to Houston, and try it on I10, 45, or 59.  Chance of survival over 180 days, not so good.  Areas vary, people vary, I wouldn't split lanes or move through traffic in like manner around here.  Here's what happens here with lane splitters.  Note the white sheet?  he tried to split lanes at speed with a semi.   he and I rode up the freeway together, though I didn't know him.  He finally sped off, zipping through lanes, and a few minutes later, here he was.  It sticks in my mind, as stupidity on his part.  At 37, Left a wife and two Kids, now a year ago. 

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
People in Washington can't comprehend turn signals, headlight modulators, nor any vehicle other than a Subaru Forester.  They would never understand legalized lane splitting.  Drivers here think any bicyclist who advances three feet at a stop light should be arrested.

When Washington passed law that motorcyclists could go through a non-responding red light after two cycles, the local media came out with articles saying "Now legal for motorcyles too run red lights".  That got all the mini-van soccer moms and Range Rover rangers up in arms.  Imagine what they'd think of lane splitting.

Wouldn't work here.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »
No problem with your beliefs.  Come to Houston, and try it on I10, 45, or 59. Chance of survival over 180 days, not so good.  Areas vary, people vary, I wouldn't split lanes or move through traffic in like manner around here.  Here's what happens here with lane splitters.  Note the white sheet?  he tried to split lanes at speed with a semi.   he and I rode up the freeway toghether, though I didn't know him.  He finall sped off, zipping through lanes, and a few minutes later, here he was.  It sticks in my mind, as stupidity on his part.  At 37, Left a wife and two Kids, now a year ago. 

Yeah we get riders here in FL who crash doing that and everything else recklessly including that. I won;t admit I've safely lane-splitted all around  Houston, from the Katy schools district to the freeways to downtown and on the way to Gatlin's BBQ (yum!) ;D

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »
I used to filter to the front of lights when all the cars were stopped.  I moved at like 5 mph while they were stopped.  I only had a couple jealous cagers try to play cop by moving their car or feigning opening their door, but most pull up too close to the car in front of them to move over much.  This was in central florida in the 1980s. 

I have also ridden down the breakdown lane to get to the next exit when the highway came to a standstill.  Even passed by a cop stuck in the traffic.  Did have one semi truck try to push me into the grass.  I just wanted the exit and then told the GPS to avoid highway so I wasn't getting somewhere faster than the someone else.  I just wanted to ride.

Just like with helmets.  I'm glad there is a choice, even though 99 times out of 100 I am going to chose to wear my helmet.

If lane splitting was legal, I would only use it when necessary.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »
I used to filter to the front of lights when all the cars were stopped.  I moved at like 5 mph while they were stopped.  I only had a couple jealous cagers try to play cop by moving their car or feigning opening their door, but most pull up too close to the car in front of them to move over much.  This was in central florida in the 1980s. 

I have also ridden down the breakdown lane to get to the next exit when the highway came to a standstill.  Even passed by a cop stuck in the traffic.  Did have one semi truck try to push me into the grass.  I just wanted the exit and then told the GPS to avoid highway so I wasn't getting somewhere faster than the someone else.  I just wanted to ride.

Just like with helmets.  I'm glad there is a choice, even though 99 times out of 100 I am going to chose to wear my helmet.

If lane splitting was legal, I would only use it when necessary.

+1,  that was my point too  :)

Offline tomp

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »
Saw my best friend killed because he wasn't wearing a helmet, 41 years ago, like yesterday, still.  When I was working at the MC dealership, I had to ride bikes around the lot w/o one.  Never felt right, even then.  No helmet and local lane splitting will not be a part of my future riding experience.  What ever anyone else wants to do, is up to them.  I will not judge, as they may have not been through or seen what I have, the things that that have molded my decision.  tp

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 10:05:38 PM »
This subject makes a great dialogue for another crash test dummy video ;D

I signed it. At long red lights way back in line I would happily roll up to the front. With my Glock in plain view!! jk

You can only kinda see it 8)
Whether you think you can or can't you're right!