Author Topic: Mr. Elkhoof's relative  (Read 3950 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Mr. Elkhoof's relative
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:06:18 AM »
Sure Mr. Elkhoof is friendly enough but some of his relatives apparently get cranky. Especially if you sit quietly on the side of the road apparently. http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/elks-sparring-photographer-caught-tape-152350689--abc-news-lifestyle.html?vp=1

That guy is really lucky he didn't catch the business end of one of those horns; the head butting was bad enough without anything pointy.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Mr. Elkhoof's relative
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 06:25:04 AM »
I really like how nobody went to the morons rescue. There are some bison out west he needs to photograph.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 06:34:02 AM »
Many, many years ago in a time long forgotten, I was checking in to a state camping area in upper PA.  There were many signs warning leave The Bears, alone.  There seemed to be a bit of a log jam with the cars on the small road.  We got out to see what was going on and it was a bear, ambling parallel to the road minding his/her business.  A moron had got out of his car to photograph said bear and was creeping steadily towards it.  I would say he was within 20 ft or so when said moron snapped the picture.  The flash went off.  The bear stood up and roared. Scared the  :censored: out of the photographer.  The camera went airborne and landed on the tarmac and smashed into a bazillion pieces.  The Bear then went back on to it's business ambling merrily along parallel to the highway.  I've never laughed so hard in my life as did most of the other people stuck in the log jam.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:54:33 AM »
I have always lived in the northeast US so there are a lot of animals I have never seen, or have only seen in the sizes they get to around here.

On my one and only trip through Yellowstone, I was in a bumper- to- bumper line of cars, stop and go, when I noticed a female bear and her cub in the woods to my left. She was not close- maybe 100 feet away or more but she was huge and pounding on the ground with her front paws; I assume she was trying to dig something up or cave it its den. I was confused though because of her size- in my mind, only brown bears get that big but she was obviously a black bear. Of course I found out later that western blacks get much, much bigger than the ones local to me. The whole thing was a bit unnerving; had she shown any aggression I would have gladly traded her my bike but then it occured to me, what if she was more of a Honda riding bear and would not be satisfied with a Kawasaki?

;D but a little  :yikes: too.

Brian

Many, many years ago in a time long forgotten, I was checking in to a state camping area in upper PA.  There were many signs warning leave The Bears, alone.  There seemed to be a bit of a log jam with the cars on the small road.  We got out to see what was going on and it was a bear, ambling parallel to the road minding his/her business.  A moron had got out of his car to photograph said bear and was creeping steadily towards it.  I would say he was within 20 ft or so when said moron snapped the picture.  The flash went off.  The bear stood up and roared. Scared the  :censored: out of the photographer.  The camera went airborne and landed on the tarmac and smashed into a bazillion pieces.  The Bear then went back on to it's business ambling merrily along parallel to the highway.  I've never laughed so hard in my life as did most of the other people stuck in the log jam.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:07:58 AM »
I'm thinking that the paw pounding was a warning to stay away..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »
Trust me, I was doing my very best to do that but I was stuck on a road in traffic.

She was using her whole upper body to pound down on something 3,4 times and then dig at the ground she had just struck. She was ignoring everything around her and concentrating on whatever she was after. I don't know what it was but would guess either a small animal's burrow or perhaps something growing there that was a food source.

I really do not know how big she was of course but I would guess upwards of 500 lbs., maybe more. A beautiful animal, cuddly looking in a terrifying sort of way.  :yikes:

Brian

I'm thinking that the paw pounding was a warning to stay away..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 10:43:13 AM »
Killing a snake maybe?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »
That could be- never thought of that but it certainly is something she would do with her cub right there to protect it.

Brian

Killing a snake maybe?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »
Meet Mr. Elk! 

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
Sure Mr. Elkhoof is friendly enough but some of his relatives apparently get cranky. Especially if you sit quietly on the side of the road apparently. http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/elks-sparring-photographer-caught-tape-152350689--abc-news-lifestyle.html?vp=1

That guy is really lucky he didn't catch the business end of one of those horns; the head butting was bad enough without anything pointy.

Brian

LOL!! susan sent me a link to that video yesterday and asked "think this is mr. elkhoofs brother looking for brian?"  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
Maybe the word got out that some elk feet are being abused and mocked by humans and this is just the start of a world- wide retaliation. It's starting people, it is starting!

:-)

Brian

LOL!! susan sent me a link to that video yesterday and asked "think this is mr. elkhoofs brother looking for brian?"  ;D

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »
Meet Mr. Elk!
How the heck did you get him to lay there with your ball cap on his antlers?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
I really like how nobody went to the morons rescue. There are some bison out west he needs to photograph.

Was riding through Yellowstone a few years ago with 3 other bikes. Got caught in a traffic jam where cars were stopped watching 2 bison fighting about 15 feet up an embankment on the road. Couldn't go forward, couldn't go back and sure enough the bison came down the embankment right next to us still fighting. Oblivious to anything around them. I'm on my bike about 10' from these locked horned 2000 lbs bison. But none of the cagers would move so we could leave. Nearly pissed my pants. Eventually the cagers got concerned  and left because even in a car those thing are huge.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »
I think he gave him a sedative. Looks like maybe a 30-06 sedative but it is hard to tell. Certainly a lead and gliding metal type of medicine.

I've never had Elk- white tailed deer is pretty mild depending on the animal of course. Unlike animals raised for the meat, animals found in the wild have had all sorts of foods in their diets and so taste pretty different from one animal to the next. I have also had black bear and while it is not too bad any part of the fat of the animal seems to have an almost rancid taste even with the utmost care in draining, cleaning the animal and butchering the meat quickly.

Brian

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
Awhile back there used to be a show on TV called "When animals attack" or something like that. Anyway, it should have called "When humans are stupid".  Trying to place human traits and behavior to wild animals gets people killed all the time. Now that all cell phones have cameras and all people have cell phones and many habitats are being pushed out and more and more animals are in places that for almost 100 years they were non existent, I think we are going to see much more of this silliness.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Son of Pappy

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »
A dose of Barnes X!!  That there isn't a ball cap, that be a genuine felt roll up hat.  I had decided to change my luck up so I wore the slow black hat in exchange for the old, faded orange one that has a few holes, getting thin and slightly discolored by the offerings of many gifts from nature.