Author Topic: Tablet or small laptop?  (Read 9549 times)

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
Re: Tablet or small laptop?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
Gezz thanks for the responses guys. After reading I stopped on the way home and looked at some options I have to say I'm leaning to wards a 11" laptop. Reasons are 1. I like having USB ports for downloading pics to laptop and vice versa.
2. I can have 320 to 500 Gig drives not that I would use that much but nice. 3. I have fat little fingers and a key board is nice. 4. cost the 7" tablets aren't bad but go much bigger and I can get said laptop cheaper. Thanks again for all the replies you guys are great.

Dave
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »
Did you look at the lenovo yogapad or the Sony ultrabook? Both are flipable to a conventional laptop and a tablet with touch screen
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 08:51:47 PM »
Did you look at the lenovo yogapad or the Sony ultrabook? Both are flipable to a conventional laptop and a tablet with touch screen

The Lenovo Yoga 11 and Yoga 13 are both awesome. Thinking about one of those for myself too.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »
The Lenovo Yoga 11 and Yoga 13 are both awesome. Thinking about one of those for myself too.

I have the Lenovo Thinkpad Twist, myself.  Running Fedora Linux.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 04:49:07 AM »
I feel the same. I can set it down and use it with one hand. Can't do that with a tablet.

Why can't you set a tablet down and use one hand?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 05:18:08 AM »
Kind of like setting a magazine flat on the table and trying to read it while sitting back in the recliner.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 06:10:46 AM »
I was going thru the same thing about 6 months ago.... laptop or tablet?  A tablet is super convenient and easy to carry, no argument there, but in the end I bought a laptop simply for vacations, weekend getaways, etc... I want the ability to download pictures from my camera and email them, watch a DVD that I have converted to .mpg, or any thing that I might need a computer for.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 06:22:39 AM »
I was going thru the same thing about 6 months ago.... laptop or tablet?  A tablet is super convenient and easy to carry, no argument there, but in the end I bought a laptop simply for vacations, weekend getaways, etc... I want the ability to download pictures from my camera and email them, watch a DVD that I have converted to .mpg, or any thing that I might need a computer for.

This is exactly why I am waiting in patience to see more x86 tablets - full PC in a tablet form factor.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 06:53:06 AM »
So how are you guys mounting your tablets. Ram mounts? Any of these weather proof?

Offline Awaz

• Arena
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 09:04:58 AM »
Kind of like setting a magazine flat on the table and trying to read it while sitting back in the recliner.

Wouldn't you set the tablet down on your lap just like you would a magazine?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
You sir, are being difficult. Usually have a dog in my lap.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
Side Note:
What software are you using to do this? My older Sony camcorder creates a DVD, on which I recorded one of my son's concerts. Want it in .mpg format.
I would have used the Sony software, but every time Windows upgrades, the Sony proprietary software isn't supported. This has happened to me more than once with Sony, so I'm done with them when it comes to cameras.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 02:00:57 AM »
Side Note:
What software are you using to do this? My older Sony camcorder creates a DVD, on which I recorded one of my son's concerts. Want it in .mpg format.
I would have used the Sony software, but every time Windows upgrades, the Sony proprietary software isn't supported. This has happened to me more than once with Sony, so I'm done with them when it comes to cameras.

I am not sure what file format the Sony camcorder used....... Where you able to take the DVD directly from the camcorder and play it in a standard DVD player? If so, then it must have used the standard .vob file format. If that is the case, you can use a freeware program called "Freemake Converter".
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »
I am not sure what file format the Sony camcorder used....... Where you able to take the DVD directly from the camcorder and play it in a standard DVD player? If so, then it must have used the standard .vob file format. If that is the case, you can use a freeware program called "Freemake Converter".

Thank you, sir. I'll look for that software.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 07:16:13 AM »
I took an iPad mini to eu. Given that you can find a wifi hotspot almost everywhere...

iPad has some faults (spelling and safari for two. And pix orientation for three) but it does the job. Sitting on the patio at hotel utsikten in Norway (keeping tabs on youz guys and gals)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 07:18:15 AM »
WOW the other side of the world really is up side down. Take THAT all you round earthers!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 07:41:07 AM »
WOW the other side of the world really is up side down. Take THAT all you round earthers!

:rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »
I really think that Martin had the best answer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 02:11:05 AM »
I really think that Martin had the best answer.

you're just trying to make it nice because you moved my "Polish troopers" post to "Rides and Stories"  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.