Author Topic: Tablet or small laptop?  (Read 9550 times)

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
Tablet or small laptop?
« on: August 20, 2013, 04:23:54 AM »
Just wondering for those that carry one or the other on multi day trips what do have and why do you like it? I'm thinking of something other than my smartphone to take that's small for checking maps, downloading pics, uploading pics and the such.

Thanks for any help.
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Tablet or small laptop?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 05:31:21 AM »
Just wondering for those that carry one or the other on multi day trips what do have and why do you like it? I'm thinking of something other than my smartphone to take that's small for checking maps, downloading pics, uploading pics and the such.

I carry a Nexus 10 tablet around with me most of the time (before that it was a Motorola Xoom).  My friend carries a 1rst gen Nexus 7.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2nd gen Nexus 7 before my upcoming trip out west

laptop?  they still sell those?   ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 07:30:49 AM »
Toshiba Excite 10" tablet here.
I won it in a contest at work.  It's traveled about 8,000 miles so far.  ;)

Much more portable than my 17" HP  :o
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:54:43 AM »
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2nd gen Nexus 7 before my upcoming trip out west

laptop?  they still sell those?   ;D

Since your a mac guy I'm surprised you aren't going iPad.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:08:49 AM »
I like my Nexus 7.  It works, but is no comparison to my laptop for most uses.  Basic web, photos and such the Nexus is fine.  I will make room for the laptop if my use is any more than that. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »

I use a loaded  iMac for photography post processing, but I'm not quite that far up Apple's  :censored: to "have to have" the phone and ipad too

But as far as PC's go I'll never, ever, use a winders machine again after owning the Mac  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »
to answer the OP's original question, take a tablet, unless you plan on writing a lot during your trip.
On a personal note, I suggest you to take nothing. Those electronic devices are neat but keep you in contact with everything one should leave behind when going on holidays. Our brains carry too much anyway.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:29:02 AM »
to answer the OP's original question, take a tablet, unless you plan on writing a lot during your trip.
On a personal note, I suggest you to take nothing. Those electronic devices are neat but keep you in contact with everything one should leave behind when going on holidays. Our brains carry too much anyway.

+1 Even my smart phone is too much. I like to turn it off most of the time. When I ride with more people I find too many of them are on the phone at stops. Distracts from the whole experience. For navigation I use paper maps for any planning (there is such a thing as too much planning) and a Garmin (because it doesn't need a connection and works anywhere) to make sure I know where I am relative to the maps.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:33:35 AM »
If you need to do lots of typing or work, bring a smaller laptop/ultrabook. Otherwise, pick up a 7" or 10" tablet. I have a Nexus 7 that I bring with me on overnight rides. It uses the same charger as my phone and takes up very little space in the saddlebags.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:45:30 AM »

laptop?  they still sell those?    ;D

If it has Windows 8 they pretty much give them away.   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »
I carry a Nexus 10 tablet around with me most of the time (before that it was a Motorola Xoom).  My friend carries a 1rst gen Nexus 7.

How do you like that thing Max? I've been looking a little bit at tablets and I'll be pulling the trigger on one as my retirement gets closer.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »
Love my Surface RT.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 11:44:17 AM »
I am waiting for a few more win 8 x86 tablets to hit the market - kinda like surface pro. I am hoping with Haswell processor or new AMD offering, battery life is a bit improved and makes it more viable as tablet. Granted, the 'pure' tablets - as in ones that runs solely on apps - have better battery life, but I feel the x86 ones are best of both worlds.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »
I'm a bit old fashioned and a bit behind but I got a netbook last year from ACER, an Aspire One,$299, and I really like it. I like the old fashioned feeling of a real keypad with buttons.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 04:34:50 PM »
I'm a bit old fashioned and a bit behind but I got a netbook last year from ACER, an Aspire One,$299, and I really like it. I like the old fashioned feeling of a real keypad with buttons.
I feel the same. I can set it down and use it with one hand. Can't do that with a tablet.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 04:41:19 PM »

The Nexus 7 is just SO much less expensive and yet does almost all the same things.  Plus Android is much more flexible for certain things.

Google really hit a sweet spot with the first Nexus 7... and the second Nexus 7 looks to be an even bigger hit than the first.  The Nexus 10 is a LOT more money, but I wanted bigger and those incredible front-facing stereo speakers.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »
How do you like that thing Max? I've been looking a little bit at tablets and I'll be pulling the trigger on one as my retirement gets closer.

It is really slick, I like it a lot.  Nowhere near the "deal" that the Nexus 7 is, however.  Also gets a bit hot.  The screen is beyond "wow" and nothing really approaches it.  Very thin, well built.

The second gen Nexus 10 will come out by Christmas, will be interesting to see what they do...

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »
I have an early model Aspire One ($80 on Ebay) and love it for throwing in the bike.  Grab an extended battery for it, and it can run for hours on end.  A cheap wireless optical mouse and I'm all set.  And at that price, I'm not worried about what might happen to it while it is on the bike.

Although I geeked out a bit and upgraded it with a large SSD drive and maxed out the memory, so I'm into it for about $200 total, but the drive and memory can be transferred to another computer if I damage the Aspire itself.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157