Author Topic: Repairing a flat...  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Repairing a flat...
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
Sticky rope and a slime pump.....good to go!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »
I am a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy.  I carry tire plugs as well as sticky strings and CO2 cartridges and a Slime air pump and a mountain-bike type (short and fat) hand air pump, which ties nicely to the frame tubes with a couple of Tyraps.  I figure the CO2's only have limited capacity and the 12-volt pump can break at the worst time, but the hand pump is pretty fool-proof, although it will take forever to get a rear tire filled.

As for the CO2 cartridges, the ones for pellet guns have a smooth neck and rely on being clamped up against the puncture fitting and held in place by the clamp.  The ones for the tire inflator kits are threaded on the end so they can screw into the tire valve fitting, so the two aren't interchangeable.  The threaded type come indifferent sizes so if you want to use them, get the biggest you can that will fit your fill valve.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 08:05:47 AM »
Sticky rope and 12v compressor on the tubeless Concours for me. Tube type, carry and extra tube and some spoons to replace. Tube patches can work but my experience is that more often then not a nail can really mess up the tube and cannot be patched. That's why I went tubeless on my DR650. On that I now carry CO2 and sticky ropes. Haven't gotten a flat with the tubeless tires yet.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
Don't forget you can remove the plastic case on most air pumps to make them even smaller to fit in a tight spot hidden away if needed.  Just watch out when using them as they tend to get very hot!  The old one I have is about the size of a baseball, then also has the hose and power cord attached.  You could even make these detachable if needed.  It wedges nicely between the battery and rear fender on the C10.  I plug it in every couple of months just to check it.  And yes, I use the string plugs and have always trusted them (if i'm the one who did it).
I ruined a strip down one when it ingest dirt from laying it on the dirt at a campground. Doh!
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »
Sticky rope and 12v compressor for me. If it can't be fixed with that a cell phone and credit card is next.

^^^^^^^^^^^That.  I went from The Rockies on to the west coast, then back to Tampa FL on a walmart plug named Jill.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline pistole

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 01:09:27 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^That.  I went from The Rockies on to the west coast, then back to Tampa FL on a walmart plug named Jill.

- mine answered to Helga.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 05:54:29 AM »
I ruined a strip down one when it ingest dirt from laying it on the dirt at a campground. Doh!

I remember you saying that way back when when I decided to find a small pump to break down.  I added a zip tie loop to mine so it can be suspended by a stick or bolt so it won't dance around on the ground.  Thanks for doing the real world test.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 10:25:29 AM »
FWIW, I was curious how many CO2 BB gun size cartridges it would take to fill my rear tire if it went down. It consistently gained 4psi for each cartridge with a total of 10 to get it to 42psi on my gage. That was way more than I wanted to carry so I bought a Slime pump.

+1 on the rope plugs. Currently one in the rear of my '07 SV650 and one in the right front of my truck.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »
FWIW, I was curious how many CO2 BB gun size cartridges it would take to fill my rear tire if it went down. It consistently gained 4psi for each cartridge with a total of 10 to get it to 42psi on my gage. That was way more than I wanted to carry so I bought a Slime pump.

Matt

THAT is GOOD infor right there!!!
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »
I honestly didn't think it would take that many cartridges to inflate a bike tire.  It kinda surprises me.  I guess there isn't that much 'pressure' in those things.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »
They have about 850psi in them but very little volume. I've used two to fill the front tire of my dirt bike and it got to about 12PSI but the dirt bike tire has much less volume than my 190/55 on the back of my Connie.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike