Author Topic: Warning for buying used seats...  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
Warning for buying used seats...
« on: September 02, 2021, 05:15:43 AM »
I bought a Corbin Modular seat for my '11 Concours off of ebay. "Thankfully" the box was lost for over week with no scans, and then turned up.

Why do I say "thankfully"? Because I developed a little bit of a rapport with the seller during that time as we both watched the tracking number. He seems like a nice guy and just bought his Connie that came with the Corbin which he didn't like.

Well, when the seat arrived I tried to install it like I had so many other Corbin's in the past. But the seat seemed really loose? Hell, without the back portion on, there was nothing locking the front down! After reviewing the installation instructions on the Corbin website I quickly realized the problem... There is a bracket that has to be installed under the seat that locks the front seat down, and I didn't get that bracket. I emailed the seller asking if maybe it was still on his bike. Because I am incredibly inpatient I called Corbin just to see if I could buy another... The nice lady went out into the warehouse and came back on the phone about 4 minutes later and said, "Yep, we have one. It'll be $45 plus $5 to ship." So I bought it. And then the ebay seller notified me he had the bracket and would send it to me for the price of shipping.

My warning: If you are buying a used Corbin Modular seat, make sure you get the custom bracket or else you'll be spending a bit more money than you wanted!

As of last night I saw two more Corbin's on ebay. Neither had the bracket listed in the pictures.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Warning for buying used seats...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 03:09:34 PM »
Glad you found one. Corbin used to refuse to sell the bracket.

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »
Do you have a P/N for the bracket?

I have a take-off from a C14P (police motor) and I'm going to install it on my '12 as part of a solo conversion project.

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 05:37:13 PM »
Bagger John - I'll post this information here for posterity. I'll shoot you a PM about the extra bracket I have.

Corbin actually posts the installation instructions for their seats in a tab called "Notes". For the modular seats you can see the installation instructions here:
https://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/install_k-c8-f-e.pdf

In the instructions it has a parts list. The bracket is listed as:
#A00947 Corbin seat bracket

There are pictures in the installation instructions of what the bracket looks like. Basically a 10" metal bar with a pointed nipple in the middle that gets screwed down on the two ends.

I called Corbin and got a very nice young lady on the phone that went out of her way to help. I gave her the part number and she said, "Ok, let me go out and speak to the warehouse manager and make sure we have one." They sold it to me for $45 plus $5 shipping. I'm not sure if they would always do that or if they would tell you to pound sand? Might be a matter of who picks up the phone.

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »
Interesting that they supply a rain cover for the fuse box.

The seat I have is heated. Both of my C14s were equipped with Fuse Blocks by me right after I bought them, and one of the circuits I ran was to the driver seat area - specifically for this purpose.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 03:34:01 PM »
The seat I have is heated.

Mine too (Sargent)

Both of my C14s were equipped with Fuse Blocks by me right after I bought them, and one of the circuits I ran was to the driver seat area - specifically for this purpose.

I did stupid stuff and wish I had gone ahead and put in a fuse block from the start.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 11:12:45 AM »
BTW, I had a Corbin 2 piece seat for my Concours for a few years with no bracket. Worked fine.

I then got a newer Corbin from a friend who sold his Concours and it came with the bracket.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips