Author Topic: MRA X-Creen Touring and mount covers & quick review added  (Read 1522 times)

Offline PH14

MRA X-Creen Touring and mount covers & quick review added
« on: August 23, 2021, 08:22:35 PM »
I decided to replace my CalSci windscreen and try the MRA X-Creen Touring. I installed it tonight, but found the windshield mount covers seem to not follow the contour of the new windshield, leaving the end of each mount cover not against the windscreen. The screws go in fine, and tighten snuggly, but the ends of the plastic covers stick out away from the screen. This was not an issue when I installed the CalSci, as it seemed to follow the OEM form more closely.

Has anyone else seen this? Mine is a 2009.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 03:55:19 PM by PH14 »

Offline PH14

Re: MRA X-Creen Touring and mount covers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 08:31:50 PM »
I just looked at an image from Twisted Throttle, and it seems it is normal. Their image showed a gap as well.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 10:10:07 PM »
I suspect that you have the covers upside down, and /or crossed.
They fit fine on my MRA Vario. (NOTE: I think the shields themselves are the same. MRA/X-Creen)

Page 15-28 of manual.
* Be sure that FWD of the holder plate and hole of the rubber damper are forward.
** Install the holder plate marked L mark on the left side,
     Install the holder plate marked R mark on the right side.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:34:45 AM by connie_rider »

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 05:59:57 AM »
They fit nice & flat on my MRA shield also.

I'm gonna have to agree with Ted, just don't tell him I said so!   
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 08:35:24 AM »
I saw that..   ;D

Ride safe, Ted

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »
I suspect that you have the covers upside down, and /or crossed.
They fit fine on my MRA Vario. (NOTE: I think the shields themselves are the same. MRA/X-Creen)

Page 15-28 of manual.
* Be sure that FWD of the holder plate and hole of the rubber damper are forward.
** Install the holder plate marked L mark on the left side,
     Install the holder plate marked R mark on the right side.

Ride safe, Ted

Nope, I have them on the correct sides, and they are marked forward, and they are in the correct orientation.

Also, zoom in on the picture from Twisted throttle, the top of the cover does not touch the windshield.

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 01:04:13 PM »
I also removed the covers and placed them on the same side I removed them from. I'm anal about that type of thing. On top of that, the covers are clearly marked right and left, and forward.  I installed the CalSci as well, shortly after getting the bike in 2010.

I just removed the windshield, and laid the covers on the windshield, in their proper place. They do not match the curve of the screen. They are what they are. I reinstalled it.

Phil

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 03:38:19 PM »
I am not sure it matters all that much (structurally), since they are just plastic covers.  Although more "crud" will accumulate and if the cover is hit there, it might break.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 12:12:22 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 06:27:22 PM »
I am not sure it matters all that much (structurally), since they are just plastic covers.  Although more "crud" will accumulate and it the cover is hit there, it might break.

It definitely isn't structural. If I am ever bothered by it, I will buy new covers, and shape them with hear to follow the contour.

Offline PH14

Re: MRA X-Creen Touring and mount covers & quick review added
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 04:04:28 PM »
I rode a bit yesterday to test the shield. I had a CalSci medium shield, the old medium, they changed the sizes a number of years ago if I remember right. I believe the new medium was a bit taller.

I was hoping for a bit less wind noise with this on the helmet, but it didn't seem to make that any better. I always ride with earplugs when not just riding around town, but I didn't put them in yesterday. I will see how it is on a trip.

It does seem nicer when the windshield is in the lower position though, much less harsh wind hitting me, and yet I get more air. I like that. It looks very nice as well. I got the smoked version, as that was the only one available, and it looks nice on the bike. Overall I think it is a really nice shield. For the long days on the road though, I am wanting to rid myself of all the wind noise, since ear plugs do not stop all of it. It may be better with this shield with ear plugs though, we will see once I actually ride it some distance.

There are shields that will give me a nice quiet pocket of air, but I do not like really large screens, and also do not want the back pressure you get with many shields. The CalSci solved the back pressure I had with the OEM shield, and the MRA X-Creen Touring also does not have any back pressure. I could go with a large CalSci, but I really don't want anything lat large.

I'll see how this screen is over the long run. Overall, it is a really nice, and great looking windshield.

Offline 1951VBS

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 03:08:40 PM »
I just replaced my Cal-Sci shorty with a MRA Vario.  I too was looking for less wind noise.  The Cal-Sci, for me also had a lot of back pressure when I would raise it to get more protection.  The MRA worked better right away but I found there is a huge difference in wind management depending on how you have the spoiler set.  I found a really happy spot.  The vent holes eliminated any back pressure.  Good luck with your experiment.

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 07:45:46 PM »
I just replaced my Cal-Sci shorty with a MRA Vario.  I too was looking for less wind noise.  The Cal-Sci, for me also had a lot of back pressure when I would raise it to get more protection.  The MRA worked better right away but I found there is a huge difference in wind management depending on how you have the spoiler set.  I found a really happy spot.  The vent holes eliminated any back pressure.  Good luck with your experiment.

That is interesting. My medium CalSci had zero back pressure for me, no matter what height. Does the shorty CalSci have the vent? The vent in the medium made all the difference in the world when it came to back pressure. There was none.

The X-Creen Touring is nice, but the Calsci is as well. It may go back on for the winter. I do like the look of the X-Creen though, it looks great on the bike.

Offline 1951VBS

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 06:08:27 AM »
The Cal-Sci shorty has no vent.  It has more of an opening than the stock shield at the bottom.  This would explain the back pressure issue compaired to the medium.
I also like the look of the MRA.  The bottom has the same profile as stock.

Offline PH14

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
We took a short trip from Pittsburgh to Dayton, Ohio last weekend. Not far, but we did a little over 600 miles. The screen gives good air flow, which is nice on a hot day, and it was over 90F most of the time. ON the way home, it had rained, and cooled off a bit. We also rode late, at night, so it was cooler. Still, it was comfortable in a mesh jacket with the wind flowing over me.

The screen is not as quiet at the medium CalSci. What it does well though, is allow you to run the screen in the lowest position, without too much turbulence. I found having the wing in the lowest position, with it parallel to the screen, worked the best. I am using the arms on the wing mount. With the wing set high, it was loud, and gave turbulence.

I would like to remove the arms, and install the single pivot mount to see how that works, but am having a difficult time getting the locking pin out. If anyone has done this, and has any tips, I would appreciate it. The instructions say to pull it out, but I cannot get good purchase on it to pull it out.

I will probably keep the screen for the hot days, but I can see it won't give much protection from the rain, and I am not sure I will like it on 700+ mile days. It may be too fatiguing for that kind of distance. Most of my riding over the years involved 700+ mile days. That may not be the case anymore though. Unless I am on a trip, I will probably use this screen.

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2021, 07:34:24 PM »
I was able to get the pins out, and installed the wing using the single pivot mount. I rode a bit. I still think the double pivot all the way down is still the best position.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 07:03:11 AM »
I will probably keep the screen for the hot days, but I can see it won't give much protection from the rain, and I am not sure I will like it on 700+ mile days. It may be too fatiguing for that kind of distance. Most of my riding over the years involved 700+ mile days. That may not be the case anymore though. Unless I am on a trip, I will probably use this screen.

700 mile days...I remember when I could do that.  Now I'm lucky to do 350....sigh.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2021, 08:09:18 AM »
PH, (I think the shield's themselves are the same on the Vario and the X-Creen) Just the wings are different.
(I have the Vario)

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the rain protection.
By raising the shield and adjusting the Wing, I can stay pretty dry.
With your bigger wing, you should do ok...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:56:26 PM by connie_rider »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2021, 08:35:34 AM »
700 mile days...I remember when I could do that.  Now I'm lucky to do 350....sigh.

I can't even come close to THAT.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2021, 05:46:24 PM »

This has been my shield of choice for quite a few years, I find the weather protection plenty good. 90% of my riding is traveling, I don't commute & seldom ride locally. I do have Madstad brackets which I really like, just gives a little more flexibility in adjustments & smoother airflow.

700 + or - mile travel days are pretty much the norm for me, I don't find it to fatiguing .
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047