Author Topic: 12V power outlet - Samsung Galaxy S5  (Read 7866 times)

Offline honzacaf

12V power outlet - Samsung Galaxy S5
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »
Hello,

I would like to ask if one of you gentlemen are experiencing this following issue:

I have a SCOSCHE USBC242M 12 Watt USB Car Charger (2.1amp) plugged into the Kawa's 12V power outlet, 3.0 USB from it to my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5),and every time I have either Google Maps, or Waze app running, plus Bluetooth to my helmet. The issue I am facing is the phone is still loosing power, even-though it shows it is on charger. (It used to work with Galaxy S4)

If I have the same scenario in my car, all good and the phone is charging.

Please let me know if you have any idea.

Thank you, very much appreciated!

Honza

Offline RBX QB

Re: 12V power outlet - Samsung Galaxy S5
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »
Confirm that the charger is fully seated in the socket (not loose). There have been instances (documented in other threads) of the contacts not fully engaging the factory socket, resulting in poor electrical connection.

Beyond that, I have no other ideas.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline honzacaf

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »
Confirm that the charger is fully seated in the socket (not loose). There have been instances (documented in other threads) of the contacts not fully engaging the factory socket, resulting in poor electrical connection.

Beyond that, I have no other ideas.

Sir!

I shall do that! Thank you for your input

Offline reh8388

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:14:10 PM »
Sir!

I shall do that! Thank you for your input

I had issues with my phone discharging when it said it was charging. It can be a couple of things. The first thing I would suspect is the cable. (Yes it sounds crazy) But there are 2 different cables.

1. Standard micro USB data cable. All pins pass straight through the cable.

2. Android charging cable which shorts together the Data+ and Data- lines basically telling the charger it is "OK" to push more then the USB2.0 standard of 500mA.

Obviously if you are using the same cable in the car and on the bike then it isn't the cable.

To check mine I use an app called Battery Monitor Widget (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw) and one of the screens shows you the "mA flow" which a negative number means it is discharging while a positive number shows charging. If you leave all the apps off and plug it in and are only seeing ~500mA then it is your cable. Search for android charging cable and there are a ton to choose from for cheap.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
I had issues with my phone discharging when it said it was charging. It can be a couple of things. The first thing I would suspect is the cable. (Yes it sounds crazy) But there are 2 different cables.

1. Standard micro USB data cable. All pins pass straight through the cable.

2. Android charging cable which shorts together the Data+ and Data- lines basically telling the charger it is "OK" to push more then the USB2.0 standard of 500mA.

Obviously if you are using the same cable in the car and on the bike then it isn't the cable.

Yep, that is likely the answer (you posted before I could).  A modern smartphone with the display on bright and actively CPU loaded with radios on and active can pull more power at "low amp charge" than can be supplied through a data cable.  So it ends up pulling from the battery, anyway.  So it is technically "charging" but thinking it is connected to a computer, where it is only allowed to pull 1A and it can't keep up.  With the correct cable, it can jump to the full 2A and can supply more power than the device can use (so some of it goes to the battery).

Common question on the Nexus 10 forum- since that tablet (with big screen and super-fast processors and a huge battery) will do the same thing (lose power while charging) when not using the "correct" cable or charger.  And/or people will complain it is taking 8+ hours to charge the 9AH battery instead of the expected 4.5 hours.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline honzacaf

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:00:38 PM »
Yep, that is likely the answer (you posted before I could).  A modern smartphone with the display on bright and actively CPU loaded with radios on and active can pull more power at "low amp charge" than can be supplied through a data cable.  So it ends up pulling from the battery, anyway.  So it is technically "charging" but thinking it is connected to a computer, where it is only allowed to pull 1A and it can't keep up.  With the correct cable, it can jump to the full 2A and can supply more power than the device can use (so some of it goes to the battery).

Common question on the Nexus 10 forum- since that tablet (with big screen and super-fast processors and a huge battery) will do the same thing (lose power while charging) when not using the "correct" cable or charger.  And/or people will complain it is taking 8+ hours to charge the 9AH battery instead of the expected 4.5 hours.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I took two screenshots while on the charger. I have turn off the bike in between,  it has shown different mA each time

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I took two screenshots while on the charger. I have turn off the bike in between,  it has shown different mA each time

:)

If I am reading your posting correctly, you answered your own question.... you do know that when you turn off the bike, the accessory port is unpowered, right?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline honzacaf

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »
:)

If I am reading your posting correctly, you answered your own question.... you do know that when you turn off the bike, the accessory port is unpowered, right?

Sorry, bad wording, what I meant was, the difference the -1149 mA was before I stopped at a pharmacy; after I got there, I turned off the motorcycle, got my drug, and went back, started the motorcycle, and then took the second screenshot. So it had two different readings.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:52 AM »
Loose connection.  My GPS will charge/not charge and it's the connection.  Wrap the plug with electrical tape to give it a tighter fit in the socket.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

jirod

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 05:43:00 AM »
I had the same problem. I stuck a strip of velcro, the loop side, to the plug. The fact that is thick but giving keeps the plug tight in place. Looking at mounting a marine USB charging port on the left side.

Offline reh8388

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 06:00:07 AM »
I had the same problem. I stuck a strip of velcro, the loop side, to the plug. The fact that is thick but giving keeps the plug tight in place. Looking at mounting a marine USB charging port on the left side.

This is what I did to add a USB charger to the bike. I will say that it is not exactly easy to plug and unplug the USB cable since the cubby is so small and the plug is near the bottom, but I just leave the cable plugged in and it works great. The cubby does get quite warm, but not hot enough that I have been concerned yet. I plan to eventually put some insulation on the outside of the cubby to remedy the heat problem.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17016.msg208757#msg208757
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline honzacaf

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:16:34 AM »
Thank you for all of your replies, this is a great community. I will try all of the above.

Honza

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
Before you try that, and assuming you think it will fit in the spot that looks like the location opposite of the original one, I'll caution you there is a metal bracket behind that will not let you simply punch a hole and install... just cautioning you beforehand.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

jirod

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »
Before you try that, and assuming you think it will fit in the spot that looks like the location opposite of the original one, I'll caution you there is a metal bracket behind that will not let you simply punch a hole and install... just cautioning you beforehand.

Thanks M.O.B, I was aware of the bracket bedhind the dash piece and that's what kept me from taking on the task. I saw a video or a pdf of an installation where they made it sound like it is possible with some filing, but I wanted to see for myself. Just waiting to have some downtime.

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »
Hey just wanna make sure of something. Did you buy a charging only cable with 22-24awg wire for the charger? I have the SAME charger and spent more money on a fast cable that is not capable of transferring data. This apparently allows for more charge to go through and dosent let the phone waste battery and time on trying to "pair" with anything. I have NO problems running bluetooth, gps, screen on, and music while charging at the same time. TLDR DON'T GET A CRAPPY CHARGING CABLE WITH THE BEST CHARGER. Hope this helps you out.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline KaTieM505

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 03:36:07 AM »
I experienced the same charging problems.  In addition,  my charger always seems to vibrate enough to lose the connection.  With the phone plugged in, it still discharged. While looking for a better solution,  I discovered a USB charger that plugs directly into the connection used to attach a trickle charger. These are made by Battery Tender and are available on Ebay for $12. After rerouting my trickle charger connection up closer to the top of the tank, I now have a convenient 2 amp charger that is always hot and doesn't vibrate loose. Problem solved. 

Offline danl

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »
I ran into this problem with my S3. It charges fine if I am only doing tunes via Bluetooth, but once I enable the GPS chip and use a mapping app, after about 5 hours it'll pop up the low battery warning. The USB charger simply can't output enough juice to charge the phone with the load of the GPS chip.

Offline reh8388

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 09:24:16 AM »
Hello,

Looking at the screenshots again, the update interval on the app is pretty slow. My guess is that it just hadn't updated yet. If you tap the Charge/Discharge number it tries to update. The fact that you were at +0mA even when it was "charging" means the charger was not keeping up. The battery was not discharging, but was also not increasing in charge either. My guess is it is a bad charging cable.
2011 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
And just in case...

If you're using one, make sure the lighter dongle (the DC to DC adapter that plugs into the stock power socket) is a 2A model rather than a 1A model, or less - as with anything, you get what you pay for - most of the dollar store ones are only 500mA... 

I bought a battery charger (actually charges a battery outside of the phone) and a spare battery. (Twice now - Got an S5 when my S3 died)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Micro-USB-Desktop-Battery-Charger-Cradle-Dock-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-I9600/1873942163.html?currencyType=CAD&af=ppc&isdl=y&src=Google&albch=Google&aff_short_key=6vYvMRFf&gclid=Cj0KEQjwm6CgBRC0zOmrydrqmosBEiQA_xoLRjnPXWcAhGKE3R3iFPjwFH3hGm_ysK-3EMaL01Zb1kYaAgvV8P8HAQ

With a 2A adapter, the spare is always charged before the one in the phone dies....  Pretty easy to change them too - under a minute, though you do have to pull over to do it...

Secure the battery in the cradle with an elastic, plug it in, and drop it in the glove box for when it's needed.  I use the same charger/cord to charge the 2nd Cardo BT unit...   Never run out of tunes...  or GPS directions from my phone.    ;)

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......