Author Topic: Thinking of buying a new C14, have some questions  (Read 10572 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Thinking of buying a new C14, have some questions
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »
I wish the seat height were an inch or so less than whatever it is.

The tall guys probably disagree.

Not sure what height/inseam Auron is...

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 05:40:29 PM »
I had a CBR1100XX BlackBird and I loved the bike. I just picked up a 2011 C-14 (Black of course) and I couldn’t be happier.  I have only had the bike for 2 weeks and still in the break in mod so I haven’t really opened it up yet. I have made a few 200 mile day rides through some canyons here in SoCal. In the twisties the C-14 doesn’t fell much, if any heavier than the BlackBird.  I also haven’t noticed any handling issues leaning it over. The bike feels precise and has a good amount of feedback. The stock tires are less than impressive and will be replaced with something else when I wear them out. I will miss the heart stopping acceleration of the BlackBird but when I get of the Concourse after 200 miles my wrists don’t hurt, I can stand up without needing medication and I could ride another 200 miles. From the BlackBird the Concourse feels like a natural progression

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »
Well, that can be fixed with a replacement seat pretty easily.  My problem was that I needed it to be 3" lower... and that ain't happening!
And I am wanting 2" more seat height. Corbin is currently making me a seat that will be 1" higher. We'll see how that goes.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »
I'll smoke a BB rider on my Connie.

'Nuff said. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline shotgun

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
I'll smoke a BB rider on my Connie.

'Nuff said. 8)

Yup.
And a 7 grand strafe here chasin' your dumbass.  :P
That's how we roll.
Slow guys need not apply.

Offline t2sfd

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
I've had the older CBR1000F's, two of them to be exact, 1990 and a 1993, which were similar to your XX, along with a few sport bikes thrown in and an BMW 1200LT along the way.

I've got to say this is a fun bike to ride, plenty of power to say the least, handles well and is great on the long trips. I've had the seat modified and installed Murph's (Phils) wedges, no risers though. I found the wedges with no risers fits me perfect. No more hands falling asleep or sore back. I'm 6'0" and the stock seat height was never a problem with being able to put both feet flat on the ground. I just completed a 1400 mile, five day trip and the bike was great.

It's not ergonomically perfect, wasn't for me anyway, coming out of the factory, but I have 5700 miles on my 2010 that I bought in April as a leftover and I always look forward to getting on and doing some miles.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »

The tall guys probably disagree.

Not sure what height/inseam Auron is...

Yes the tall guys disagree.  6'4" and 36" inseam.  Most of the other bikes are already made for the short guys, so keep yer grubby paws off!  LOL
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
I'm only 6'2' but no matter, with KiPass everyone is tall
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »
Yes the tall guys disagree.  6'4" and 36" inseam.  Most of the other bikes are already made for the short guys, so keep yer grubby paws off!  LOL

The deal is, the Concours is NOT a short bike, at all.  And it is not like we have a lot of choices in this class.  While you can easily make a custom seat as HIGH as you want, you can only go about 1" lower and that is IT.  The end.  So I would say that a lower frame and/or pan to accommodate more lowering options would be very welcome by many people and wouldn't take away ANYTHING from those amazon people like you :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »
I will miss the heart stopping acceleration of the BlackBird but

We think you should reserve judgement until you are out of break-in and wind up the Concours ;)  Trust me, when keeping it at low RPM in break-in, it really is disappointing.  After 4K, you still to start to grin, by 6K you should be smiling.... and there is plenty left on the tach.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »
<snip>
Welcome to the forum.  BTW, it's Concours.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »
I'm only 6'2' but no matter, with KiPass everyone is tall

:goodpost:

Tru dat! With my fob in the heal of my shoe I'm five nine...  ;D

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »
The zx14 seat basically drops right on (after switching two brackets) and is a cheap way to lower seat height.  More importantly than the lower seat height, the shape is more natural..for me anyway...I am 5'10" but would be well over 6 foot if I had even normal length legs.

I had a chance to compare my 08 Concours 14 against my sv 650 in the canyon and was very surprised.  The sv is far from stock and has worked over forks and a Penske shock.  The shock is amazing.

Obviously, they dont compare in weight, power, or anythign else, really. But as far as handling goes, the c14 will do anything the sv will.  It just takes more effort to make it turn.  Cornering clearance is not as good, but the bike is incredible in the way it combines handling and comfort.  Almost all bikes will give you one or the other, but few offer both.

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
We think you should reserve judgement until you are out of break-in and wind up the Concours ;)  Trust me, when keeping it at low RPM in break-in, it really is disappointing.  After 4K, you still to start to grin, by 6K you should be smiling.... and there is plenty left on the tach.

Looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll be happy with it (already am) but I doubt it's going to pickup the front tire the way the BlackBird did!

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  BTW, it's Concours.

Thanks and I didn't notice the lack of the E but my spell check is. :D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 04:54:11 PM »
Looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll be happy with it (already am) but I doubt it's going to pickup the front tire the way the BlackBird did!

I won't, because the Concours has traction control :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »
I won't, because the Concours has traction control :)

That can simply be disabled for wheelies and smoke 'em ups
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:50 AM »
That can simply be disabled for wheelies and smoke 'em ups

Shhhh!  You are not supposed to tell that to people stuff like that.  Remember- the Concours is a large, heavy, slow, non-performance bike.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 08:39:13 AM »

:goodpost:

Tru dat! With my fob in the heal of my shoe I'm five nine...  ;D

Standing on one foot again ZG?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »
Standing on one foot again ZG?

Nope, I have 2 fobs, one in each shoe, just don't forget to pull the battery out of one of them...  ;)