Author Topic: I ran her dry  (Read 7342 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: I ran her dry
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Thanks Brian, good info.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 02:36:19 AM »
Thanx Martin!  But there are much better reasons not to like me than the turbo stuff!  ;)

With your experience designing trannies, I  do certainly defer to your knowledge. In fact I'd love to hear some of your stories concerning sequential "rapid shifting" and the use of carbon fiber vs. titanium construction! I read Peter Wright's work on F-1 transmissions and these boxes will cycle thru all seven ratios and back again in somewhat less than a second! I also have some schematics from XTRAC, did you do any work for them?
My comments about coasting were meant mainly for those who like to coast with the engine off or tow their bike with the back wheel on the ground. As you say, you had zero choice in the matter.

Fretka

Actually they (XTRAC) did some work for us (BMW-Sauber F1), together with some other English companies like the usual suspects: Ricardo and AP Racing. Those Brits have a totally different approach to things compared with the Germans: pragmatic vs. analytic. With the pace of development in F1, German ideas tend to get from one season to the next one, whereas English ideas are developed within 2 races.
As you point out, those sequential gearboxes, either with one or two gear shift barrels configurations, can go from 1st to 7th gear and back in less than a second. It sounded like a machine gun, I don't mean an Uzi... more like an electric Gaitling type. It was shown to me on my first day at work (fresh from university) and I just couldn't believe my eyes. Watching that mechanism working was like that movie K-Pax, in which Prot (Kevin Spacey) does his demonstration of faster-than-light travel. Awesome.
About CF gearbox housings... I don't know what you're talking about, because if I said I do, I would get shot  ;)

BTW, today I spoke to somebody who developes powertrain concepts for passenger vehicles, and he explained me that the gearwheels and rolling bearings are lubricated by "splashed oil" as opposed to injected oil like it happens in the engine (he said it in German, and I'm not a native English speaker, so I hope you understand me) so the lubrication does not stop when you turn off the engine. However, hypod gears (final transmission) are designed to transmit torque from the shaft to the wheel and not the other way around, but still, those things are very tough and can take some abuse from us.
One final point that I have to check is the cardan joints. I don't know where the lubrication for those comes from. Do you? I'll ask around here when I have the chance.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 05:59:13 AM »
Yes, you can safely fill the tank past the anti- splash plate. I fill mine about 3/8" over that plate whenever the fuel pump I am using will throttle enough to allow the tank to be filled slowly; you cannot fill the tank that high with the fuel nozzle flowing a lot of fuel without splashing it all over the place. Brian

Schweet! did it this morning, and got a lil more go-go juice in the tank.  Thanks for the tip.
Will
Will

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 07:39:16 AM »
You actually worked for Sauber F1? That must have been awesome!
The cardan joints on the C-14 propeller shaft use needle bearings packed in grease like a typical automotive U-joint. I pulled my shaft out to grease the splines when the exploding rear drive terror hit the forum  several months back. There were some reports of dry needle bearings but mine were packed. My shaft never made the knock sound that many reported.
Actually they (XTRAC) did some work for us (BMW-Sauber F1), together with some other English companies like the usual suspects: Ricardo and AP Racing. Those Brits have a totally different approach to things compared with the Germans: pragmatic vs. analytic. With the pace of development in F1, German ideas tend to get from one season to the next one, whereas English ideas are developed within 2 races.
As you point out, those sequential gearboxes, either with one or two gear shift barrels configurations, can go from 1st to 7th gear and back in less than a second. It sounded like a machine gun, I don't mean an Uzi... more like an electric Gaitling type. It was shown to me on my first day at work (fresh from university) and I just couldn't believe my eyes. Watching that mechanism working was like that movie K-Pax, in which Prot (Kevin Spacey) does his demonstration of faster-than-light travel. Awesome.
About CF gearbox housings... I don't know what you're talking about, because if I said I do, I would get shot  ;)

BTW, today I spoke to somebody who developes powertrain concepts for passenger vehicles, and he explained me that the gearwheels and rolling bearings are lubricated by "splashed oil" as opposed to injected oil like it happens in the engine (he said it in German, and I'm not a native English speaker, so I hope you understand me) so the lubrication does not stop when you turn off the engine. However, hypod gears (final transmission) are designed to transmit torque from the shaft to the wheel and not the other way around, but still, those things are very tough and can take some abuse from us.
One final point that I have to check is the cardan joints. I don't know where the lubrication for those comes from. Do you? I'll ask around here when I have the chance.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »
Keep in mind that most pumps are off, in other words, they read higher than the volume actually pumped. In a personal random survey in a years period I found 90% of the stations to be charging for more gas than you actually pump, some with margins as high as 20% off. I reported all of these to the state AG's office (as per a public notification program) and at the last test the biggest offenders were still ripping folks off, and wouldn't you know it, these are the stations that are located right off interstates far from large cities. Honest gas pumps seem to be a rarity these days.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »

Martin: most of what I post here is already known to you so I direct the following to those who might find this stuff interesting.

As to your German friend, he seems to hold the prevailing impression that gears are splash fed. Well, maybe back a few generations ago  they were but as you know with F-1 boxes that use air-oil separators prior to the accumulator a moments cavitation or air bubble in the hydraulic/gear oil (F-1 boxes use Neo oil that doubles as hydraulic fluid) and your day is done!

Modern bikes use pressurized engine oil to lube the gear cluster by way of internal shaft passages all the way to the bevel/output cluster found on our beloved Connie. Some F-1 trannys also use a fine oil spray to lubricate the mesh as well. As far as I know, just about all modern gearboxes do not run in an oil bath anymore due to drag and frothing of the oil. All the above may be B.S. if you're talking Harley-Davidson tho.   ::)

It is fascinating how much the f-1 boxes and motorcycles are alike, essentially identical except for electro-hydraulic gear selection (moog valves) as well as the clutches they both use. Where things get interesting with F-1 is in the differentials that builders use but I'll leave that to Martin!

Freka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 03:48:29 AM »
Hi Fretka,

sorry for the delay but I just wanted to be sure before stating something. Regarding F1 boxes, your description is accurate, and makes me wonder how you know so much. This is not a field in which many people know what they are talking about, not because it's complicated, just because there aren't many guys working on it, and they are mainly in Europe. Even the japanese teams are based here, either in England or in Germany. Let me just state that, at the risk of looking that I'm trying to show off, I have the luck to work with the people actually designing them.

Anyway, one of the differences between bike gearboxes and F1 cars gearboxes is how the gear teeth are oiled. In both cases, the rolling bearings are, indeed, oiled with channels running inside the secondary shaft. The reason why an oil bath is not used on a F1 car (or motorcycles) gearbox is simple: if the gears have to dip their teeth up to the meshing line (and at 22000 rpm in the case of F1 car engines) in oil, they are robbing too much power. "Too much" being about 2 HP (out of typically 800) and that, in F1, is a lot. Specially because by precisely applying tiny doses of oil to the teeth (with a device not entirely different from the common rail used in Diesel injection, just a much lower pressure) one can achieve the same lubrication, so this is what F1 cars use. The oil amount in the gearbox casing that one can collect at the end of the race is probably smaller than a small measure of whisky. However, the worst thing that happens is not those 2 HP lost, but the foam that the oil is turned into and hinders the pump's work, heat exchange and what not. Hence the injectors, to limit the amount of oil in the casing, and the careful design of the bottom of that casing to collect the oil and direct it to the reservoir. Another reason is that the oil in the gearbox is separated from the oil in the engine, unlike most bikes (bar the boxer engines from BMW, for example).

In bikes, the gears still get lubricated by the oil sprayed in the casing, not any injection, and underneath the gear cluster the oil gets collected. I have no clue how this is achieved in the C14, but I take your word for it and asume there is some sort of injection; however, I'll keep looking into it.

PS: your disclaimer about HDs was unnecessary. Unless your definition of "motorcycle" is very, veeeery broad... ;)

PS2: an F1 diff is just a normal spur gear diff, except that it should desintegrate after 4 weekends (about 2000 miles). If it lasts longer, it was too heavy!!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:45:37 AM by martin_14 »

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
now that I run her dry once and I know that (at least according to the pump) exactly 22 lts or 5,8 US gallons fit in the tank (up to the antisplash plate), I've been playing with how much I can fit above that. Of course I can only do this if I know that I will be riding the bike for at least a good 20 miles so when the fuel expands it doesn't come out the vent or something. So far I managed to put an extra 1,2 liters or 0,32 US gallons, which would elevate the total to a decent 6,13 US gallons.

@Fretka: I made several misunderstandings in our technical discussion about how the rolling bearings and mesh get lubricated, both while reading you and while listening to the explanation in German. I think now I have my thoughts straight and I can see that you never stated that the mesh is lubricated with injected oil, which is what I understood on the begining, just the bearings on the output shaft. Also, the guy who explained me how some BMW motorcycles (mainly those from the K-line) are lubricated never said that the gears dip in oil  :-\ Sorry about that!

Offline Fretka

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »
Back a few years ago, McClaren tried to use an electro-hydraulic actuated differential that would direct the torque split (using two small clutches) hence giving greater control over the yaw characteristics of the car's handling, called "fiddle brakes". This is pretty common now on road cars but was dis-qualified by FIA. Seems like an awful lot of useful technology has been outlawed by FIA in order to keep the speeds down.

Fretka

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 02:29:33 AM »
Back a few years ago, McClaren tried to use an electro-hydraulic actuated differential that would direct the torque split (using two small clutches) hence giving greater control over the yaw characteristics of the car's handling, called "fiddle brakes". This is pretty common now on road cars but was dis-qualified by FIA. Seems like an awful lot of useful technology has been outlawed by FIA in order to keep the speeds down.

Fretka

FIA, and particularly Mosley, are so money oriented that it makes even the Citibank look like a bunch of "save the whales" voluntaries. Did you ever try to send a postcard from inside a circuit? Guess who is getting a bite from everything you mail. Or every coke you buy. Or... You get the picture.
Indeed, politics and the level of dictatorship necessary to govern the "creative" interpretations of the rules (only allowed to Ferrari) have been keeping really neat technologies out of the sport, some of which would be very usable in street cars that you and I can buy.
I have to agree, though, in that F1 is about cars as much as drivers, and technology would favour the former and relativize the latter, which in my opinion would be a pitty. However, I would rather simply allow 1000 cc engines and as much cr@p (turbos, compressors, 7 valves per cylinder and whatever the engineers can come up with) as possible. I want to see them using boosters in the curves (like the space shuttle), adjustable aerodynamics, throw spikes at the car behind you... the lot.  8)
Sorry, rant over.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 03:09:39 AM »
I have to agree, though, in that F1 is about cars as much as drivers, and technology would favour the former and relativize the latter, which in my opinion would be a pitty. However, I would rather simply allow 1000 cc engines and as much cr@p (turbos, compressors, 7 valves per cylinder and whatever the engineers can come up with) as possible. I want to see them using boosters in the curves (like the space shuttle), adjustable aerodynamics, throw spikes at the car behind you... the lot.  8)
Now THAT would make F1 more interesting. <LOL>

FIA = Ferrari International Assistance

I have long thought that they need to radically reduce downforce, but loosen up engine regs.
Bring back the days of the Ferrari V12s.
Fastest thing in a straight line but couldn't corner worth a damn. ;-)

However, since Dan Whartons death in Vegas I can see that they will be trying to reduce the speeds again, even if that wasn't an F1 race.
I know it's a pain but some tracks out there cannot host F1 because their Public Liability Insurance only covers them to 200Mph track speeds.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline stewart

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »
Don't mean to hijack, but while we are on the topic.

I'm a big F1 and not interested in top end speeds, any fool can go fast in a straight line (no offense to drag racers). What I'd like to see is more focus on handling and the removal of aero effects in corners which reduce the effect of driver input/skill.

I'd like to see more effort on mechanical grip/handling features and a push to introduce innovation in engine design with some limits versus a standard engine.

I understand the need to keep costs down, but remove a $XXXX Million dollar wind tunnel and flow dynamics from the equation and I think you can get back to pen and paper creative thinking.

I also think they should re-introduce refuelling. A) there needs to be more strategy involved B) the driver needs to deal with changing weight/handling dynamics.

Being a pilot of a very fast car with minimal variables....boring.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Fretka

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »
I think we all agree that F1 has become a parade without any passing or relevancy to our automobile experience. Remember the days of turbos? Fan cars, Lotus twin chassis cars and most of the rest of somewhat crazy innovation that used to be F1, I miss that stuff and absolutely detest the latest wing or aero-appendage silliness!
I also miss 2-strokes, but in the sanitization of motor racing current these days, the only drama that can be found in many venues is political in nature (soap-opera B.S.).

Message to FIA: evolve or die.

Fretka

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
Guys, this is totally off track now.  If you want to continue this conversation in Open, by all means.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 03:28:25 AM »
Guys, this is totally off track now.  If you want to continue this conversation in Open, by all means.

sorry!  :-[
(I can't say I didn't see it coming...)
But it's Fretka's fault because I was playing in the sandbox with my green plastic bucket and shovel and... and... and he came and pushed me... and...
See, I told you "bunch of 6th graders" was an overestimation. ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »
I don't think 6th graders would be talking about the same subject you guys are.   :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.