Author Topic: I ran her dry  (Read 7343 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
I ran her dry
« on: October 10, 2011, 01:56:07 AM »
You guys know how much we like finding the limits of our bikes, and I'm no exception.
Yesterday afternoon I was crossing the Alps from Italy to Austria in one of their best points (try "Passo Paluzza" in Google Maps to see how perfect it is) and just after I passed the last chance to refuel on the italian side and enter the mountains, the low fuel beacon came on. At the pace I have been doing (35 mpg), that meant that I would make it to the first city in Austria, some 30 miles ahead, so I didn't turn around. Looking at the first picture, you can guess that this was my last big trip across the alps until next year  :(
What I didn't foresee is that I did a slightly more agressive use of the right wrist than anticipated (22 mpg on the way up). So when I finally past the highest point (5100 feet above sea level, so plenty of snow -> see picture of me regreting taking that pass) I started to worry. I quick math told me that I would have to go down with the engine off when possible. I know this is not that smart safety wise, but the surface on the austrian side is so bad and the road so curvy, that you have to stay below 30 mph anyway. The guy following me agreed, although his K1600 GT (another post coming regarding this) had fuel for another 50 miles at least.
I checked on my GPS and sure enough it showed me a Shell some miles ahead. But in the last curve before the main road to the fuel station, I tried to accelerate and the engined coughed. I was still almost a mile away. Then, half a mile before the Shell, I saw an Agip fuel station and just as I was driving in, the engine died. Just to be sure, I started it again and it died immediately. Another push at the start button and nothing, so I was sure the tank was as empty as it was going to be.
So I first refueled up to the metal plate (second picture) and it was exactly the 22 liters (5.8 US gallons) that the manual states, and I put another half a liter (about 0.12 US gallons), which is about a quarter of an inch above the metal plate. I really didn't dare to put anything else, but I remember a couple of guys here mentioning they fueled 6 gallons or so...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:15:41 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: I ran her dry
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 04:28:23 AM »
Thanks for doing this (running her bone dry that is).
Now we know that the tank can hold right at 6 US gal's. (22.5 liters = 5.943871 US Gal's)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:09:20 AM »
Hope you didnt damage your fuel pump!!!!! :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Restless

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:26:28 AM »
Great post!  Good thing you had the mighty powah of "K-P" on-board  :stirpot:  and it lead you safely  :chugbeer:  to a fuel point!  So tell us Martin, What did she start like after that?  Were you using "Pure gas" or ethanol? 

By the way, nice snow in your pic! 
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:22:02 AM »
@The Pope: no problem. Anything in the name of science...  :o

@Pokey: I don't think so. I never wait so long to refuel, usually doing it just after the light comes on. This time it cought me off guard. But I'll ask the dealer this week during the 36000 km service. My rear tire is almost slick now, and the front shows a clear cupping, so new Angel's are on its way.

@Restless: I always use "pure gas". If I wanted to save money I'd take the bus.  ;)  She started as usual, nothing strange. Maybe it had to turn an extra half a second, but that was it. And I'm sorry, but "nice" and "snow" do not belong in the same sentence!!!  >:( ;D

Offline Restless

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 07:38:57 AM »
I always use "pure gas". If I wanted to save money I'd take the bus.  ;)  She started as usual, nothing strange. Maybe it had to turn an extra half a second, but that was it. And I'm sorry, but "nice" and "snow" do not belong in the same sentence!!!  >:( ;D

Good to hear one can still find "pure gas" and have a choice...here in WI few stations left that you can even find it.  Still curious on the "start-up after fill-up"...did she fire right up?

...And you're absolutely right on regarding the snow thing!  Won't be long here before we see the dreaded "white death".  :(
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:24 AM »
I always fill to the metal plate and I wondered how much usable fuel there is. Now I know. Thank you!

I travel a lot to Villach but so far not in the summer. I have always planned that if I get there in the summer I will rent a bike and ride some of those roads. Now I know a good one to try. Thanks again!

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:00:16 AM »
Good work Martin.  Glad to see you pushing the limits on traction, distance, and riding season for us ;).

I have put 6.18 gallons in mine (per gas pump reading), and the biked had not stalled (though I was sure it would before I got it to the station).

My fueling technique is to fill full blast until it reaches the metal plate, then fuel at the slowest controllable flow rate until it reaches the top of the neck (just once), then quit.  After it reaches the top of the neck, it will bubble down to the plate.  I do this consistently each and every fuel up.

I don't recommend fueling this way if you are only going to ride a few miles and park though.  That will only result in a puddle of fuel under your bike after you walk away.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Khrome

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »
Never road any of my street bikes in snow... And the on/off road bikes I have not for very far... I see snow mounding up on the toe of your boots  :o  not something I will probably ever have happen, except on a four wheeler... nice pic and thanks for sharing  :thumbs:
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline mkorn

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »
if i fill up as i am starting my ride, i always fill as far up past the metal plate as i can.
i have gone 210 mile without the low fuel warning.  I try to not push it. i like keeping the pump submerged.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 10:34:31 AM »
Nice.

I rode 42 miles on flashing low fuel yesterday on the way back from GA and it held 5.6 gallons. I was babying it though. No gas for a long stretch while on the Okefenokee Swamp Trail.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Fretka

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 12:15:56 PM »
I've met folks who like to play" how far can I coast downhill". Generally with the engine off.
While you may have had no choice, it's a very bad thing to do to your transmission as the gears are force-fed engine oil from the oil pump and with a bike that's rolling in neutral with no oil the secondary or output shaft is still turning relative to road speed.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
I typically always refill at around 200 miles no matter what.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 01:58:56 PM »
Every 160 miles for me...every other day. 
Will

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »

I was late heading for work,and I had put 30m. on the trip as soon as  I noticed fuel warning.....so right after 30 hit ...... glided ( out of petrol) in to station and fretted about running dry and the fuel pump--It started right up and runs the same-so is there members that have experienced the out of gas ---lose your fuel pump issue ??

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 11:49:23 PM »
I've met folks who like to play" how far can I coast downhill". Generally with the engine off.
While you may have had no choice, it's a very bad thing to do to your transmission as the gears are force-fed engine oil from the oil pump and with a bike that's rolling in neutral with no oil the secondary or output shaft is still turning relative to road speed.

Fretka

Because of your turbo conversion I formed a sort of prejudice about you, and it is as follows: you know what you're talking about. That being said, 2 points:

1. I'm not one of those folks. I don't play with the bike downhill or such because in the event of an unknown, I want to have all the capabilities of the bike (braking or accelerating) to complete the jurney alive  ;D As you said, I just didn't have a choice (as it turned out).

2. I don't think it's that bad. I designed transmissions (F1) and, although I'm not into tribology, I know three things brake the oil film on the tooth and bearings, leading to metal-to-metal contact: torque (or force), speed and temperature.
  - There is only enough torque transmitted from the wheel to the gearbox to overcome internal frictions up to the clutch. It's not little, but it's not much, probably less than 10 Nm, 80% of which is actually used to move the bevel gear, which is in its own casing with its own oil.
  - I was coasting at not more than 20 or 30 mph, and only for about 2 miles. The speed of the secondary shaft was therefore not high, and it was free to rotate inside the gearwheels.
  - Regarding temperature, it was cold weather and the bike was fine, so that wasn't an issue.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:12:26 AM by martin_14 »

Offline Fretka

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »
Thanx Martin!  But there are much better reasons not to like me than the turbo stuff!  ;)

With your experience designing trannies, I  do certainly defer to your knowledge. In fact I'd love to hear some of your stories concerning sequential "rapid shifting" and the use of carbon fiber vs. titanium construction! I read Peter Wright's work on F-1 transmissions and these boxes will cycle thru all seven ratios and back again in somewhat less than a second! I also have some schematics from XTRAC, did you do any work for them?
My comments about coasting were meant mainly for those who like to coast with the engine off or tow their bike with the back wheel on the ground. As you say, you had zero choice in the matter.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
I was under some stupid impression that if I fill past the plate, it will just drain out the overflow emissions stuff. Are you sure past the plate is usable fuel? Please no justifications of... Well I get 220 miles on a tank when I do that. Anyone know?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »
Yes, you can safely fill the tank past the anti- splash plate. I fill mine about 3/8" over that plate whenever the fuel pump I am using will throttle enough to allow the tank to be filled slowly; you cannot fill the tank that high with the fuel nozzle flowing a lot of fuel without splashing it all over the place. The tank can actually be filled about 3/4" above that plate but you have to ride right away or the fuel will expand and leak out of the tank (onto the ground right under the left foot peg). The fuel tank vent ends at the very top of the tank and well above that deflector plate in the filler neck.

Brian

I was under some stupid impression that if I fill past the plate, it will just drain out the overflow emissions stuff. Are you sure past the plate is usable fuel? Please no justifications of... Well I get 220 miles on a tank when I do that. Anyone know?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
When I know that I won't be stopping for awhile, especially on a long trip, I'll fill mine to the top as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.