Author Topic: Starting in gear.....Bike ended up on its side  (Read 11760 times)

Offline DuneDevil

Starting in gear.....Bike ended up on its side
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »
Was wondering if anyone has had their bike engage a gear as you were starting it.

Last night as I was getting off work, standing next to the bike. I reached over as usual and tried to start the bike. It turned over once and then grabbed a gear ??? Well, the next thing I know I am trying to catch a 600 pound bike going down :-[ Not fun! I only had a scratch on mirror, but still, if this is a problem, them mabe they need to look at the transmission at the indent for neutral. Or, it could be all my fault for not having it fully in neutral..... I am just checking

DuneDevil

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Starting in gear.....Bike ended up on its side
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »
Sometimes when my bike is still cold I will go to shift from 1st to neutral (I always leave it in gear when parked) the gear indicator will go blank.  All I do is rock the bike a bit and try neutral again.  Just an annoyance that I have learned to live with.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:34:55 PM »
Never had the problem on my C14 or the old C10.  I have always been fearful of something like that, or bumping the shifer getting on, or whatever - so I have always made it my policy to never start the engine unless I am saddled up first with my helmet and gloves on.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »
   I've never started my bike without being in the saddle with both hands on the grips and the clutch pulled in.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:30:53 PM »
   I've never started my bike without being in the saddle with both hands on the grips and the clutch pulled in.

I have, but I always have the clutch in.  I think it is a leftover from one of my other bikes that would not start unless the clutch was in.  Then I SLOWLY release it.... just in case.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
I too am in the camp of always being in the saddle with the clutch in before trying to fire it up.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
I'm ballsy, it would be a rare time I'm mounted when I start up.  51,000 plus miles, no issues.  I start up, lid, plug in comms, gloves, mount, and ride.  Part of the routine.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
I always start my bikes when not on them, gives them a chance to warm up while I put on my lid and gloves...

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »
I have, but I always have the clutch in.  I think it is a leftover from one of my other bikes that would not start unless the clutch was in.  Then I SLOWLY release it.... just in case.
Still have to with Triumphs, regardless if in neutral or not. I typically will start in neutral with clutch in as well, then slowly release. I've had the "blank" neutral before too, kinda a pain.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 03:57:31 AM »
Cold clutch plates will drag and it sounds like what happened to you. Or the gearbox wasn't totally in neutral.

When I start up, I'm ready to grab the clutch if necessary, but then I just let it idle while I finish gearing up. Never had the Connie jump into gear on its own.

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 04:06:13 AM »
Don't feel too bad, I watched a guy on HD do the same thing.  :)
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline lolife

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:41:03 AM »
Cold clutch plates will drag and it sounds like what happened to you. Or the gearbox wasn't totally in neutral.

+1

When mine is cold & I start it sometimes the bike will "surge" forward a couple inches b/c of the clutch brakes dragging.  Its definitely enough to pull if off the side stand.  I always hold the front brake when I start & then let the bike run a minute while I put on my gloves. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 04:43:42 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has had their bike engage a gear as you were starting it.

No, as I always start it with the clutch lever held in...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 05:05:44 AM »
+1 ... clutch in.
Will

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 05:18:06 AM »
I'm ballsy, it would be a rare time I'm mounted when I start up.  51,000 plus miles, no issues.  I start up, lid, plug in comms, gloves, mount, and ride.  Part of the routine.

That's what I do and I've never had a problem. I start 'er and get my gear on while she warms up a bit.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »
I suppose I could sidetrack this thread and state that's it not really necessary to "warm up" your bike unless you're going to drag race it right away.  But I wouldn't do that.   ;D

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 07:40:54 AM »
I suppose I could sidetrack this thread and state that's it not really necessary to "warm up" your bike unless you're going to drag race it right away.  But I wouldn't do that.   ;D

I would never allow you to sidetrack this thread, no sir. But, would you mind telling the dog in your avatar to move a tiny bit to the left?  ;)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 08:09:28 AM »

I've never sat on the saddle and started my bike on this or any of the bikes I've owned - except the rare times it may be already warmed up.  No issues to report.

If i ever have any brand/type bike jump itself into gear I need to scrap that POS and ride something else anyway!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline koval68

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 08:12:24 AM »
I'm ballsy, it would be a rare time I'm mounted when I start up. 
I too, like to idle my bike for at least 30 sec. before riding off, but always check gear indicator for neutral! If gear indicator is blank, I start my bike with with clutch in, then slowly release it.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »
When I park my bike its always on the center stand so I have never had that problem.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once