Author Topic: Fuel filter failure on the road  (Read 2843 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Fuel filter failure on the road
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »
Fuel injector, fuel system, carb. cleaner and similar really do work to clean the fuel system and even the combustion chambers, as well as the valve faces and spark plug. I am a big fan of the stuff myself. And of course, it would go a long way, if not outright eliminate fuel pick up screen clogging.

I am a believer in the magic "Techron" stuff, myself.  It absolutely seems to work to cure hesitation and poor idling in every vehicle I have owned.  I try to remember to run a tank of it through my vehicles at least once every year or two, or when symptoms appear.

The only downside is that the stuff turns the crankcase oil black and really thins it a tremendous amount so I always use F.I. cleaner on one tank, run that tank down to nearly empty (so the stuff is actually gone and not mixed in with future fill- ups)

LOL!  I do the EXACT same thing.  I won't use Techron unless/until I can put it in and run the ENTIRE tank through in a short period of time (one trip, or one day, if possible).

and then change the oil and filter immediately.

Well, I don't do that (and haven't noticed those effects, myself).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 10:20:45 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »
I think it would also depend on the station and or pumps you get your fuel at. If you consisantly getting fuel at a station that has dirty tanks and or pumps your going to clog up sooner. I just did my 08 for the first time at 62k miles and it was dirty but not causing any issues yet. I was just being proactive. So maybe some of you that are "needing" to replace it every 30 clicks should look into where your getting your fuel.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 04:22:50 PM »
as someone that over 5 years, purchased water laden fuel from a place 1/2 mile from my door, exclusively, and found I had about 2 gallons of water in my 30 gallon tank, (when it all froze solid) in my trucks gastank,fuel line, and fuel filter,  I agree.. but they denied any possibility of that occurring.... right.....

I don't buy fuel there anymore.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..