Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 729558 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2420 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
High drama over at the Mazda forum.

One of the guys over there is a real know-it-all. You know the type, whatever it is he's done it and of course he did it better than anyone else. Everything bores him because, of course, he's done it all.

Anyways, my wife suggested that I play nice so I have been.

It seems that others on that forum feel as I do because one of the other forum members had enough of Mr Know-it-all and posted this in reply to one of his posts.

"Been on this forum and several others for quite a while and you are by far the biggest know-it-all I have ever come across.
 Guess if your life is totally centered around cars and posting about them, and you depend on forums for ego enhancement, your plan is working! "

:rotflmao:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:32:08 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2421 on: January 14, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
I don't get it...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2422 on: January 14, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »
A footnote to the Verizon / Cox (yep, that sounds like the intro. to some kind of joke.....) switch: Cox service (Jordan) was here this AM, strung new cable, installed and set up hardware, gave us a quick overview, got everything working and all in about 2 1/2 hours (strung a new cable from the nearest telephone pole to house, then some wiring inside as well as all hardware install / setup).

Just transferring my telephone number from Verizon to Cox seems to have generated a termination order for my Verizon digital phone service but to make sure I cancelled ALL services, including ISP and TV, I went into my account on the web site. As I figured, no way to terminate service so had to call. Spoke to a nice enough female in [some foreign land but I could not really place the accent] and went through the dog and pony show.... which ended when she informed me there was a pending order (the order to cancel the phone service, generated by Cox 'drawing' the phone number from Verizon) and I could not make any other changes to the account until the existing order had been executed, which will be on 17 Jan. So I then asked if I understood the situation correctly: I could NOT cancel my service now because of a pending action on the account but could on or after 17 Jan.... and that I would have to call back on that date or later to execute any account changes such as closing the account. Outstanding- they are going to bill me, pro- rated, at the new and [not- agreed to by me] amount until such time as I am able to close the account, which they not only cannot do now but cannot accept an order to do on or after 17 Jan.

I am not bit$hing about this because it is petty and really insignificant but I have to say that over the course of a year and a very large number of 'insignificant' charges, I betcha' there is some real money laying around at Verizon. I am also not picking on Verizon because I do not know if Cox does this or not.

BTW- a relatively close speed test does show in excess of the promised 300 Mbps D/L speed delivered. Not so good going through a bunch of nodes and reaching to the other coast but really fast locally. Not that the earlier limit of 50 Mbps that Verizon delivered was in any way a limit or needed improvement for my use, just mentioning that it is as fast, actually faster, than promised and all done with copper wire.... :-) TV picture quality is outstanding and surprisingly, noticeably better than Verizon, at least using the hardware that I had from Verizon (just over 2 years old). Cox also is using new Cisco boxes that use RF remotes (really nice!) with a voice recognition feature that works extremely well (really, really nice!). I hope I am as pleased in two years when I have to do this all over again in reverse and can only imagine what new hardware Verizon will be providing.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

sailor_chic

« Reply #2423 on: January 14, 2017, 04:04:09 PM »
Brian, since you are the main contestant in the dog and pony show, continue the cord cutting with your TV. I recently canceled Direct TV and now watch my shows through Sling TV.  $20 a month plus tax.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2424 on: January 14, 2017, 07:44:34 PM »
Yeah, my youngest son is hammering me to drop everything but the 'Net connection and then go on to different ways to use the 'Net to 'watch TV', such as Netflix and so forth. So far though, we still watch a fair amount of TV directly from the sources, and still maintain a house phone (landline); the landline 'cause it is easier to manage than a smart phone (for me anyway) and far less expensive.

And besides all that, I have learned to really like plastic guns (a 1911 is a <real> firearm but I have all the respect in the world for Glocks and have become quite partial to the genuine Croatian plastic that Springfield sells lately) so I cannot change all my spots all at once. But I will look into Sling TV per your suggestion and will consider it for the next interval of TV supplier switching.

Brian

Brian, since you are the main contestant in the dog and pony show, continue the cord cutting with your TV. I recently canceled Direct TV and now watch my shows through Sling TV.  $20 a month plus tax.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #2425 on: January 15, 2017, 05:29:08 AM »

+1. Sling+Amazon Prime+OTA digital broadcasts give me all the TV programming I need. Not really suitable if one is big on channel surfing and I dread the day the internet service providers start metering data usage. Saves only about 80 bucks per month for me, but the satisfaction of sticking it to the media giants is priceless. (and the young-at-heart have to keep up with the young uns)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2426 on: January 15, 2017, 05:32:43 AM »
I don't get it...

Sorry if I wasn't very clear, try it now.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2427 on: January 15, 2017, 06:20:22 AM »
The main problem with Sling and other streaming of cable channels is that it forces commercials.  To some of us, that is totally unacceptable.  I know I haven't been forced to watch a commercial in over 15 years and I will NEVER go back.  So yeah, as long as you don't care about commercial-free history channel, science channel, NatGeo, etc,  there are lots of TV-without-cable options.  One of my favorites is Netflix.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #2428 on: January 15, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »
I'm curious about how you get any live programming without being subject to commercials?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2429 on: January 15, 2017, 06:51:05 AM »
The main problem with Sling and other streaming of cable channels is that it forces commercials.  To some of us, that is totally unacceptable.  I know I haven't been forced to watch a commercial in over 15 years and I will NEVER go back.  So yeah, as long as you don't care about commercial-free history channel, science channel, NatGeo, etc,  there are lots of TV-without-cable options.  One of my favorites is Netflix.

I'm curious about how you get any live programming without being subject to commercials?

I'm curious as well. If you're DVRing your programs and fast forwarding past the commercials that's one thing, but no commercials at all?

I got rid of Direct TV a while back and we've been streaming all of our programming via Roku. Overall it works fine but it's not without commercials. One of the BIG issues that I have with the commercials is that sometimes the same commercial plays back to back. I've even seen the same :censored: commercial play 4 times in a row!    :pukeface:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2430 on: January 15, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »
So what's his nefarious plan?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2431 on: January 15, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »

I'm thinking but nothing is happening!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2432 on: January 15, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »
I'm curious as well. If you're DVRing your programs and fast forwarding past the commercials that's one thing, but no commercials at all?

I got rid of Direct TV a while back and we've been streaming all of our programming via Roku. Overall it works fine but it's not without commercials. One of the BIG issues that I have with the commercials is that sometimes the same commercial plays back to back. I've even seen the same :censored: commercial play 4 times in a row!    :pukeface:

Ever since I got a Smart TV, I've been thinking about could I ditch Directv.  But I really like being able to store the programs and play then back later.  I tired Hulu some time back and the commercial thing irritated me so much (same one again and again), I said fork this and left them. 

The Smart TV is wonderful, I've watched more Netflix than I have in the past.  Lotsa good stuff there and Amazon as well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2433 on: January 15, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »

Without it being on cable or over-the-air?  You pretty much don't (not legally, anyway).  Sometimes you can find some of the shows you like from that network available on Netflix streaming (which is commercial free), but that is a shot in the dark and usually only certain shows.  For example, I have been binge-watching something called "Supernatural" on Netflix streaming, which was and is a show on "The CW" network.  They have 11 seasons but not the 12th which is airing right now on CW.  Another example is The Flash- another CW network program which is on Netflix streaming for the previous 2 seasons but not the current.  And another is Salem from NBC.  But for every one series/show I can find on Netflix streaming, there are hundreds that are not available.

And some networks offer their own commercial-free streaming subscriptions.  For example, "CBS All Access."  But very few networks offer such an option, and even if they did, it would be a HUGELY expensive mess of dozens of subscriptions to different services, all with their own prices and limitations and compatibility issues (which devices will or won't work with them).

Streaming, even without commercials, has issues.  You must have a live network connection, it uses a LOT of bandwidth (which is not good if you have metered or poor Internet).  Sometimes the quality sucks.  Often the UI with whatever device is poor or irritating.  (That said, Netflix is about the best on all those fronts).

Consumers might eventually win this "war", but it will take a lot more time.  Cable companies and content networks (channels) have a huge investment in locking you into traditional models (huge price, hundreds of channels you don't want, forced commercials).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2434 on: January 15, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »

Who knows, I've stopped reading his posts.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2435 on: January 15, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »
Do they have an Arena?  8)

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #2436 on: January 15, 2017, 09:29:53 AM »
Without it being on cable or over-the-air?  You pretty much don't (not legally, anyway).  Sometimes you can find some of the shows you like from that network available on Netflix streaming (which is commercial free), but that is a shot in the dark and usually only certain shows..........

I'm still puzzled how you can avoid commercials when live programming is involved. Unless you are unsure what live programming refers to.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #2437 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »

World domination by self-professed superior knowledge of Mazda cars? :-)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2438 on: January 15, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
I'm still puzzled how you can avoid commercials when live programming is involved. Unless you are unsure what live programming refers to.

Sorry, it depends on what is meant by "live programming".  Some could read that (as I did) as "broadcast" instead of "streaming."   I see you probably meant "live" like watching something that is happening in real time, such as sports or a concert.  Of course, watching live content "live" but commercial free is impossible if they are interrupting the transmission with commercials.  You can, however, "time shift" it with a DVR.  You record it and estimate how much time will be taken by commercials and then delay playback by the amount of time you estimate; it will continue recording while you are watching.  If you estimate correctly, you will catch up to being "live" at the very end (since you are skipping through the commercials).  About the only reason to even bother with all that is if you are worried about "spoilers" from people giving away what happens before you get a chance to see it.  Otherwise, just record it and watch it whenever.

Personally, I have absolutely zero interest in watching anything "live" or even watching something recorded that was broadcast "live" (since it is almost always sports).

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #2439 on: January 15, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »
I found it interesting that when I logged on today there was nothing but this thread, which was unread. There was nothing else there -- other than the notice that there was something in the Nothing thread. Nothing to be worried about other than the possibility that only having nothing will result in a quantum collapse of the universe. Cheers.