Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 729253 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2220 on: December 29, 2015, 07:09:22 AM »
Went to turn on my 2 year old Dell desktop yesterday and, nothing. Well, almost nothing. I got a solid amber power LED, not good. After some research and trouble shooting it seems that the motherboard bit the dust.  :o

More research and $90 later a replacement is on it's way. It's been a long time since I replaced a motherboard. At least there's plenty of room inside the case.

Well :censored: !

The replacement motherboard was delivered yesterday and I replaced the old one. No joy.  :(  I'm not even getting the solid amber power LED now, I'm getting NOTHNG! ****.

I guess I'll put the old one back in and see what happens while I negotiate the replacement of the replacement.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2221 on: December 29, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »
Attention: Installed electronics are non-returnable.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2222 on: December 29, 2015, 07:30:47 AM »
 Q. Why are computers are just like significant others?

A. You never really appreciate them till they go down on you.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2223 on: December 29, 2015, 07:46:50 AM »

No mention of this. 30 money back guarantee is what it says.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2224 on: December 29, 2015, 08:27:38 AM »
Unusual but good for you if it stands.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2225 on: December 29, 2015, 08:31:22 AM »

Maybe you can return it within 30 days if its unused??
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2226 on: December 30, 2015, 07:19:37 AM »

Unusual but good for you if it stands.

Maybe you can return it within 30 days if its unused??

I just received the ok from the ebay seller to return the item for a full refund, I have to pay return shipping. What's odd about this is that the seller never charged my card for the purchase...  ???

After checking out some info on my dead PC at the Dell site it looked as if I could renew the warranty on my PC (expired 1/15). I applied for the renewal and for ~$150 I can get another year of onsite warranty coverage (w/unlimited hardware replacement). A brand new motherboard (not refurbished) costs $150 from Dell. This looks like a no-brainer. I'll call Dell up first and tell them that the PC is inop and see if I can still get the warranty.  :)

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2227 on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:22 AM »
I love DELL.
In the corporate world, they are far superior in support.
I realize in home PC, their support is not quite as good.
Good for you for finding that out, I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2228 on: December 30, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
NP Brent!   :)

I just purchased the one year warranty renewal for $151. I'll call in to tech support tomorrow (it takes 24 hours to process the renewal) and get the ball rolling on the MB replacement.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2229 on: December 30, 2015, 10:44:10 AM »
Have you noticed that Dell's India based support and sales has really improved regarding their English skills? Been in touch with them quite a bit in the last couple- 3 weeks and everyone I have spoken with in perfectly understandable, at least to me and I am easily 1/3 deaf.... :-)

Brian

NP Brent!   :)

I just purchased the one year warranty renewal for $151. I'll call in to tech support tomorrow (it takes 24 hours to process the renewal) and get the ball rolling on the MB replacement.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2230 on: December 30, 2015, 02:37:11 PM »
Now how about this little gem:

"In 19th and early 20th century medicine and psychology, an "idiot" was a person with a very severe intellectual disability. In the early 1900s, Dr. Henry H. Goddard proposed a classification system for intellectual disability based on the Binet-Simon concept of mental age. Individuals with the lowest mental age level (less than three years) were identified as idiots; imbeciles had a mental age of three to seven years, and morons had a mental age of seven to ten years.[8] The term "idiot" was used to refer to people having an IQ below 30.[9][10] IQ, or intelligence quotient, was originally determined by dividing a person's mental age, as determined by standardized tests, by their actual age. The concept of mental age has fallen into disfavor, though, and IQ is now determined on the basis of statistical distributions.[11]

In current American medical classification, these people are now said to have "profound intellectual disability" but this term is not in use in the United Kingdom."

Which begs the question, are there still idiots in the UK while we have eliminated them entirely in the US? How about morons and imbeciles? Could this finally explain why they drive on the wrong, or 'left' side of the road?

Disclaimer: The above is all in good humor and not in any way meant to demean any individual or country. If I was going to demean an entire country, of course I would have published something about the French like the rest of humanity normally does.

Disclaimer #2: The immediately above is another stab at humor. I do not personally believe it is possible for any entire nationality, including the French, could be made up entirely of.... er..... "people of limited abilities". Certainly even in France there is an able, smart person.

Disclaimer #3: The immediately above was another stab at humor although I freely admit I have used the French exclusively. I have no excuse and cannot determine why this is the case. I will study it further and see what I can come up with.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2231 on: December 30, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
Which begs the question, are there still idiots in the UK while we have eliminated them entirely in the US? How about morons and imbeciles? Could this finally explain why they drive on the wrong, or 'left' side of the road?

This is the thread that keeps on giving :)   Cheerio!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2232 on: December 30, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »

Certainly even in France there is an able, smart person

Brian

:rotflmao:

Must be the holiday season, Brian. Personally, I think you are being far too kind.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2233 on: December 30, 2015, 09:59:25 PM »
the struggle is real living alone!  having to decide every night whether to use the charcoal or gas grill

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2234 on: December 31, 2015, 03:45:45 AM »
the struggle is real living alone!  having to decide every night whether to use the charcoal or gas grill

Ahhh, first world problems....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2235 on: December 31, 2015, 06:32:05 AM »
Have you noticed that Dell's India based support and sales has really improved regarding their English skills? Been in touch with them quite a bit in the last couple- 3 weeks and everyone I have spoken with in perfectly understandable, at least to me and I am easily 1/3 deaf.... :-)

Brian

Why yes, Brian. I have noticed this.  They may have some odd names but I can understand them perfectly.   :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2236 on: December 31, 2015, 06:33:54 AM »

Brian

Eliminated the idiots in the USA? As if. We elect them to office!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2237 on: December 31, 2015, 07:09:02 AM »

Brian

>:( :battle:

Just making sure that the sword stays sharp...

http://youtu.be/4fsH_T6XZ6Y
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2238 on: December 31, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »
Agreed on the names- one gentleman I talked to was named 'Spiney' (however that is spelled).

But I give full credit to Dell: they absolutely had a problem, as did a lot of large US mfg.'s when they started to farm out their tech. support to a nation with relatively inexpensive labor but where the native language is not English. The problem was that the tech. support from India was almost incomprehensible a lot of the time. Some US companies have drawn their tech. support back to the US but apparently Dell went a different way and kept their Indian support system but somehow greatly improved the English skills of those folks- no idea what they did but it worked very well IMO.

Like it or not, we live in a global economy; this last Dell box I bought was made in Mexico, sold from India and shipped from Texas (I assume trucked over the border- it was only a few miles from point of mfg. in Mexico to point of shipping from the US). But if a large company such as Dell is going to provide most telephone services (and sales is also now in India apparently) to the US from a foreign country, they have to make communication at least feasible.

By the way: I am pretty much liking Windoze 10. And the new box is pretty snappy too- an I7 Core @4 GHz, 16 GB of 2333 MHz ram, a RAID 1 system with 2 TB hard drives (each) and a modestly fast Nvidia graphics card; overall performance is, of course, fast but it also chews through some fairly large scale 3D models with over 12K components, all rendered. Pretty impressive as a workstation and not all that expensive.

Brian

Why yes, Brian. I have noticed this.  They may have some odd names but I can understand them perfectly.   :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2239 on: December 31, 2015, 08:14:41 AM »
Possibly Dell has been listening to customer complaints on their customer service.  I have one corporate client that got so frustrated with them (Indian support) that he threatened to throw out all their Dell equipment unless he got someone to talk to over here.  They listened.  He doesn't have Indian CS anymore.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.