Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 729769 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1860 on: February 04, 2015, 12:48:02 PM »
Hey Brian!

Tell us kids about super cooled water, that's always fun.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1861 on: February 04, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »
Young man in the second row, with the bad hair and his hand up, yes, what is your question? You want to know about supercooled liquids? Well, I can give a brief and probably [not quite correct but maybe close] overview....

Super cooling is a condition where a material exists in a state too cold for that material to be in that form. Water is an ever- popular example. We think that when water goes to or a little below 32 degrees F it freezes and turns into ice. Well, that not quite how it works. A couple of things have to happen for water to become ice, and only one is lowering the temperature; the other one is more interesting.... the water has to have a catalyst, usually in the form of a flaw or irregularity in it, to begin to form the crystals that make water a solid. Now in any daily form, this flaw is always present- a speck of dust, a material touching the water of an unusual shape, etc. So somewhere in that glass of water, or that jug of milk that is sitting outside when the temp. drops, something, actually millions of somethings, are available to start the formation of an ice crystal. But in a clean environment, one without dust or anything solid, water is often found at temperatures well below freezing and even well below zero F. Water droplets at very high altitudes are just hanging around, waiting for something to nudge them into 'formation' as crystals WHEN SUDDENLY, an aircraft flies through the air and all the water it touches instantly turns to ice..... on the plane of course.

The other place is in a very clean, still environment such as a laboratory. Coolest thing ever is watching a beaker of water suddenly freeze into a solid block of ice. It happens in less than a second and the ice takes on whatever shape or state it was in when it is nudged, bumped or contaminated. Amazing....

Tomorrow, supersaturated liquids, when liquids hold more material than they can hold....

Brian

Hey Brian!

Tell us kids about super cooled water, that's always fun.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1862 on: February 04, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
Does that apply to alcoholic drinks?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1863 on: February 04, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »
Awesome Brian! Far, FAR better than Bill Nye.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1864 on: February 05, 2015, 05:03:41 AM »
Young man in the second row, with the bad hair and his hand up, yes, what is your question? You want to know about supercooled liquids? Well, I can give a brief and probably [not quite correct but maybe close] overview....

Super cooling is a condition where a material exists in a state too cold for that material to be in that form. Water is an ever- popular example. We think that when water goes to or a little below 32 degrees F it freezes and turns into ice. Well, that not quite how it works. A couple of things have to happen for water to become ice, and only one is lowering the temperature; the other one is more interesting.... the water has to have a catalyst, usually in the form of a flaw or irregularity in it, to begin to form the crystals that make water a solid. Now in any daily form, this flaw is always present- a speck of dust, a material touching the water of an unusual shape, etc. So somewhere in that glass of water, or that jug of milk that is sitting outside when the temp. drops, something, actually millions of somethings, are available to start the formation of an ice crystal. But in a clean environment, one without dust or anything solid, water is often found at temperatures well below freezing and even well below zero F. Water droplets at very high altitudes are just hanging around, waiting for something to nudge them into 'formation' as crystals WHEN SUDDENLY, an aircraft flies through the air and all the water it touches instantly turns to ice..... on the plane of course.

The other place is in a very clean, still environment such as a laboratory. Coolest thing ever is watching a beaker of water suddenly freeze into a solid block of ice. It happens in less than a second and the ice takes on whatever shape or state it was in when it is nudged, bumped or contaminated. Amazing....

Tomorrow, supersaturated liquids, when liquids hold more material than they can hold....

Brian

:)

The reason that I mentioned this is because it happened to me yesterday. It was about 10f degrees outside and I had left a bottle of water outside. I could see that the water was still liquid and when I picked it up it instantly froze solid. I've seen this before and I know how it works but thanks for the explanation. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1865 on: February 05, 2015, 06:25:31 AM »
Generally not- people who hold alcohol often usually can't hold it steady enough to allow it to super cool. It is the alcohol induced jitters.....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1866 on: February 05, 2015, 06:28:48 AM »
Yeah, not seen all that often 'in the wild' but if the bottle was clean, and usually they are, and the bottle is still while the temp. drops, then sure.

Sci Fi is all fine and well, and some of it can be excellent but I have always though real life, science and the world as it is is far more interesting.

Brian

:)

The reason that I mentioned this is because it happened to me yesterday. It was about 10f degrees outside and I had left a bottle of water outside. I could see that the water was still liquid and when I picked it up it instantly froze solid. I've seen this before and I know how it works but thanks for the explanation.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1867 on: February 05, 2015, 06:32:36 AM »
Aw gee.... thanks. But to be honest, most of that came from Kirby..... he whispers all my best ideas to me. Well, Kirby and Mr. Elkhoof but that guy has a mean streak.

"I know the voices in my head are not real but man do they have some good ideas".

:rotflmao:  two times, one for each voice.

Brian

Awesome Brian! Far, FAR better than Bill Nye.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #1868 on: February 05, 2015, 12:56:40 PM »

Generally not- people who hold alcohol often usually can't hold it steady enough to allow it to super cool. It is the alcohol induced jitters.....

I could be wrong, as I frequently am...but I think V'jim's question was about this?

......supersaturated liquids, when liquids hold more material than they can hold....

:D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1869 on: February 05, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »
I think you are thinking of a super- saturated C-14 rider, who is holding more than he / she should hold.

:-)

Brian

I could be wrong, as I frequently am...but I think V'jim's question was about this?

:D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1870 on: February 05, 2015, 03:48:16 PM »
How much alcohol does it take to "super-saturate" the sword guy?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1871 on: February 05, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
Unknown- no one has been able to collect enough alcohol in one place, at one time, to find out. ??

Brian

How much alcohol does it take to "super-saturate" the sword guy?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1872 on: February 05, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »
Bunch of idiots... :rotflmao: :chugbeer:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1873 on: February 05, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »
So I drink cheap Scotch because I find "good" Scotch to be a bit overwhelming (underdeveloped palate no doubt). Lucky for me, right? I had some single malt Glen Livet at my son's house over Christmas and after the second one, I just could not pretend I liked it anymore.

Well, a rhetorical question: what is worse than trying a better Scotch and not liking it? Trying a better Scotch and liking it.... 'cause now I want to buy it. Dimple Pinch- excellent! Not awful in price though, it is only about twice the price of cheap Scotch (J&B). And the bottle 'show is nice....

Brian

Bunch of idiots... :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1874 on: February 06, 2015, 04:39:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I actually like Glen Livet but I'm game to try a new one.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1875 on: February 06, 2015, 06:39:07 AM »
So I drink cheap Scotch because I find "good" Scotch to be a bit overwhelming (underdeveloped palate no doubt). Lucky for me, right? I had some single malt Glen Livet at my son's house over Christmas and after the second one, I just could not pretend I liked it anymore.

Well, a rhetorical question: what is worse than trying a better Scotch and not liking it? Trying a better Scotch and liking it.... 'cause now I want to buy it. Dimple Pinch- excellent! Not awful in price though, it is only about twice the price of cheap Scotch (J&B). And the bottle 'show is nice....

Brian

That happened to me. I never liked any kind of whiskey. But there is a group here at work that gets together every Friday after work and they have all the high end single malts to try out. I immediately liked the smell of the smokey peat of the Islay scotches but still didn't like the taste at all. Give me a beer please. But unfortunately they started growing on me. Now I really like a finger of Laphroaig 18 now and then. At the super bowl party I just went to, he cracked open a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail and I really enjoyed that. Must resist because it's still way too expensive.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1876 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
Then you may not like this one- it is a bit more mild and..... almost caramely for a Scotch. Not like a burbon but with a bit of the smoothness of burbon. Glen Livet is a bit sharper I find so if you like it, you may not like Pinch.

The good news is that it does come in a small bottle so it is cheap enough to try. Just stop by the liquor store, buy the small bottle, drink it on the way home and then throw the empty bottle out the window.... at least I think that is what Conrad suggests we do (he was ambiguous on that whole window thingy).

By the way, Kirby LOVES the stuff! But of course he does not drink it the regular way, oh no, he dips his nuts in it....  Sometimes that guy acts like an animal.  >:(

Brian

Thanks for the tip.  I actually like Glen Livet but I'm game to try a new one.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1877 on: February 06, 2015, 11:52:53 AM »
If you have a persistent cough that you just cannot get rid of, usually a large dose of laxative will take care of it. Oh you will still have urge to cough but you will be too scared to actually do it anymore.

Brian

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1878 on: February 06, 2015, 11:57:28 AM »
 :rotflmao:
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1879 on: February 06, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
If you have a persistent cough that you just cannot get rid of, usually a large dose of laxative will take care of it. Oh you will still have urge to cough but you will be too scared to actually do it anymore.

Brian

You, Sir, are NOT right!  :rotflmao:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....