Author Topic: I think somethings off with my new GTR engine wise  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Elfmaze

I think somethings off with my new GTR engine wise
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »
Bike has 300 miles on it.  And I was thinking about waiting until after break in to look into this, but then I was thinking it might be doing damage so i guess its time. 

I feel a pulse in my engine.  At first I thought it was the traction control or timing retard devices but as I ride, I'm more convinced that its not normal.   The "pulse" as best i can describe it is effected by engine speed even when stopped.  It very subtle but i can feel it in the grips and foot pegs.  its just a little bump in the otherwise smooth engine, maby 2-3 pulses a second at 4000RPM.

I'm taking a stab at this, but maby its an out of sync throttle body?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: I think somethings off with my new GTR engine wise
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »
Worry less.......ride more.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »
Pure guess, You are on what, the third tank of fuel?  Maybe bad gass.  I had the same odd pulse once, wife used the same pump just behind me, car ran odd as well.  Burned through the tank and no issues since. ('08, 52000 miles).  If it is a black bike, it's normal to run slow, with lots of unusual sensations ;D

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
Black wasn't my first choice.  All my previous bikes have been orange!  The black sure does gather dust like a champ too   ;D

She is a sharp looking machine though. 

I am on the second tank,  but it might be from the same station...  Who knows how long it takes to sell premium gas up here.  Diesel probably sells more than regular.   I'll ride it out and see what happens.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
If it is a black bike, it's normal to run slow, with lots of unusual sensations ;D

Excavator

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »
  If it is a black bike, it's normal to run slow, with lots of unusual sensations ;D

Chet i'll bet that black windscreen never comes off now that it's made your bike faster........

A little Sea Foam will help if it's bad gas, couldn't hurt either way.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
I had to do something, promised the wife I would keep the power level close to stock, after the Flyectomy, AreaP full, PCV, AT, and ZX TBs the only way I could do that was add black to the front of the bike ;D

Yes on the Seafoam or try some Stabil for ethonal, or just run her as is, find a station that has individual lines for the premium and let us know how it worked out.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 04:19:22 AM »
Bike has 300 miles on it.....

300 miles eh?  If you feel something is wrong, take it to the dealer, especially with that low a miles on it.

As far as pulsing, at times when mine is cold and warming up, I can hear a vibratory oscillation (words of the day and you get points for using it in other threads).  It goes away or subsides as it warms up.  No problems at 46k though.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:19:36 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 06:01:22 AM »
300 miles eh?  If you feel something is wrong, take it to the dealer, especially with that low a miles on it.

As far as pulsing, at times when mine is cold and warming up, I can hear a vibratory oscillation (word of the day and you get points for using it in other threads).  It goes away or subsides as it warms up.  No problems at 46k though.

Which word Jim? Or is that the term of the day?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:18:46 AM by VirginiaJim »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 06:18:20 AM »
I think you've already figured it out and got 25 points to boot.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
I had to do something, promised the wife I would keep the power level close to stock, after the Flyectomy, AreaP full, PCV, AT, and ZX TBs the only way I could do that was add black to the front of the bike ;D

Same thing here, I just added a little more black since I am closer to sea level.  ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 07:10:31 AM »
Bike has 300 miles on it.  And I was thinking about waiting until after break in to look into this, but then I was thinking it might be doing damage so i guess its time. 

I feel a pulse in my engine.  At first I thought it was the traction control or timing retard devices but as I ride, I'm more convinced that its not normal.   The "pulse" as best i can describe it is effected by engine speed even when stopped.  It very subtle but i can feel it in the grips and foot pegs.  its just a little bump in the otherwise smooth engine, maby 2-3 pulses a second at 4000RPM.

I'm taking a stab at this, but maby its an out of sync throttle body?

:loco:

;)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.