Author Topic: Painting mufflers  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Squishman

• Arena
Painting mufflers
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
I am going to clean up the black part of my mufflers with probably sandpaper and/or a wire brush. So when I re-paint them, what (aerosol) paint do I need to get? Do I need primer at all?
I used to paint my RZ and RD aftermarket expansion chambers and I used flat black BBQ grill paint. I would prefer something more glossy for the conk.
Oh, and the Yamahas, I had to re-do them way too frequently. Probably because my process was not that good as far as painting goes. Looked good though for a season or so.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:13:28 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Squishman

• Arena
Re: Painting mufflers
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
You used gold paint!?
That sounds pretty slick!
Todd
Eagan, MN
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:13:35 PM by knight_mare »

Offline kreaky

• '98 Connie; '92 750 Nighthawk; '85 VF500F; '96 XR4
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »
I've tried several heat resistant paints over the years, VHT works best.  Sand the area to be painted and thoroughly degrease, paint on 3-4 thin coats.
"Once you go over the hill, you pick up speed."

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »
Does the clear coat really help? How many coats of clear coat after the 3-4?
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Red Rider

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
I had a very difficult time painting the black section and making it stick, but perhaps I wasn't doing it right.

So I decided to just hand sand off the black paint for a polished look instead, I like the way it turned out (see original link below)!

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3915.msg44826#msg44826

S. Nelson

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:13:40 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »
Not sure if the clear helped or not, but it's really true about multiple light coats.  The first "coat" should be a MISTING - you should think you barely got any on.  The second coat should also be a MISTING - there still won't be a lot of color to the part you're painting.  The third coat is where you will finally see color.  It's REALLY EASY to put on too much and get a run, which means starting over.  VHT claims the clear helps; I figured I may as well.  I think I have 2 coats of clear on them.  The rear of the mufflers don't usually get hit by road debris like forward-facing things. 

Just don't give in to temptation and "add a little more paint" - if you want to add more paint wait the recommended 10 minutes between coats.  Prep, More Prep, Patience, and Discipline.

Awesome help. Thanks a lot. I ordered the VHT gold and clear on Amazon today. I bet that'll look good on my burgundymaroonbarneydarkred Conk.
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 06:26:57 PM »
A buddy of mine found on a suzuki gs forum a process that works quite well.  It is knightmare's recommendation, only it uses four coats of color.  Then you wait an hour.  Then 3 thin coats of clear with 10 minutes between.  All this time ensuring your garage is above 60F.

10 days after you did the painting, wet sand with 1500, then 3000, then rubbing compound, then polish.  I know it's just exhaust you want to do, but the finish on his GS850 rivaled anything I've ever seen come out of a paint shop, and cost under 100 dollars.  It was just rustoleum from home depot.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »
Maybe gold would look bad with my color. What do you think? Shall I cancel the gold and just do black with clear coat? I like Steve's bare metal, but I doubt I have the patience to make mine look like that. It looks like it took hours.
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 08:03:36 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:13:45 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 08:47:26 PM »
I just switched my order to black with the clear using the part numbers you provided, Knight Mare.
Now I know it will turn out great thanks to all of your help.
Glad I don't have to go with my former method with the bbq paint!
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:14:15 PM by knight_mare »

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
VHT is some impressive stuff, coming out of a rattle can.
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 04:10:29 PM »
Crazy-fast shipping from Amazon. I already got the paint. And I clicked free shipping.
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline markk53

• Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
Prep is what it's all about.  Sanding or sand blasating to get a good surface for the paint to grip  Spray a light tack coat - for the next coats to "grip" on the first few coats, progressively going with heavier coats closer to the surface being painted, allowing a half hour to an hour between the last coats. 

One more tip, warm up the paint by either running hot tap water over the can and/or sitting the can in a pan of hot tap water.  Obviously do NOT put the can in a pan on the stove!  The warm paint mixes better when shaken, atomizes better spraying out of the can and flows better on the surface.  The can should be warm to your touch if  it is warm enough.  When it feels normal or cool rewarm the can    You will even see the paint sprays better.  Cool paint may spatter, warm paint doesn't. 

By the way, on the muffler the heat isn't near what it is on the head pipes.  It's still seriously hot and probably any paint used should be heat resistant.

A tip on painting regular parts, there is a  company or two making two part urethane clear, SprayMax 2K.  It's about $20 a can and once activated it is good for nearly 24 hours before going bad in the can.  The advantage is the paint is more impervious to gasoline.  If it can withstand the heat on a muffler it would be a good thing to do, but I don't know.

I will say on the one member's comments about the RD.  I had the same problem with all my two stroke bikes with chambers.  It was always the head pipe though.  the cones and stinger/silencers ran cool enough the paint worked fairly well.  The heat on the head pipe just burned off the paint nearly instantly it seemed.  Four strokes tend to do the same on the head pipes.  I personally prefer the ceramic coatings after having my KLX pipe done by JetHot.  The heat pipe has held up for 12 years now without any special treatment.  The stuff just plain works.  It ain't cheap, but it holds up like nothing else and colors can be had.
[img]http://p1.bikepics.com/2010/03/27/bikepics-1936369-full.jpg[img]

KLX678, Zephyr, SR500 street/tracker (in progress) Bultaco Sherpa T

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »
When I am ready to apply the clear coat, how do you guys feel about shooting the back side of the chrome with the high-temp clear coat just for some added protection?
Of course approx 70% of the chrome would be masked up. 100% whilst shooting the black, of course.
My chrome that is shows when mounted looks pretty dang good, but that part no one sees, I had to clean up a bit.
So I was thinking about clear coating just that part. 
Todd
Eagan, MN

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
The pipes turned out really great. We had 52 degree weather today. That is about 52 degrees north of where it could have been, so I got it done in the garage while I had the opportunity. I used a space heater too. Just for the heck of it, I did clear-coat the bottom of the chrome.
Todd
Eagan, MN