Author Topic: Shinko 890 JOurney review thread  (Read 40127 times)

Offline txfatboy

Re: Shinko 890 JOurney review thread
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 07:56:59 AM »
Doug, no matter what their website says, Chaparral does NOT have the front tire in stock. I have received an email from Chaparral after I placed my order confirming that they had shipped the rear tire ONLY and that they were sorry but they did not actually have the front tire in stock, even though their web site NEVER said it was out of stock. They expected to have the front tire back in stock by the end of the week (yesterday). As of today, I have yet to receive the shipping confirmation for the front tire.
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
Doug, no matter what their website says, Chaparral does NOT have the front tire in stock. I have received an email from Chaparral after I placed my order confirming that they had shipped the rear tire ONLY and that they were sorry but they did not actually have the front tire in stock, even though their web site NEVER said it was out of stock. They expected to have the front tire back in stock by the end of the week (yesterday). As of today, I have yet to receive the shipping confirmation for the front tire.

Man, I hate when they pull that crap.  If you don't have the product in stock, say so before the buyer pays for something that's not there.  Wonder if there's any Consumer Protection laws regarding that practice?

Thanks for setting it straight Woody.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:09 AM »
Yeah Doug, normally I would be a little "miffed" but I'm still at least 2 maybe 3 weeks from being able to ride again anyway, so I have time to wait. My custom ankle brace won't be ready until then (surgery on Achilles tendon 3 months ago). It was a good reason to do a REALLY good teardown/inspection/service of the rear suspension while I'm waiting. The girl is getting new shoes, bearings, rear shock oil change, fresh lube in the diff, new valve stems (from Murphs of course) and clean and relube of all moving parts. I think she'll be happy. I might even give her a bath..... 8)
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »
Just a quick update in case anyone is considering purchasing the 890 journey tires as a set, It is now about 2 weeks since I placed my order and I still have no front tire and have not received any communication from Chaparrel save for the one reply to the first email I sent them. Personally, I am still in no hurry but I just thought I would pass on what my experience has been so far. BTW, last time I checked, their web site still showed the front tire to be in stock.
Woody
2014 V-Max

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 04:57:24 AM »
Just a quick update in case anyone is considering purchasing the 890 journey tires as a set, It is now about 2 weeks since I placed my order and I still have no front tire and have not received any communication from Chaparrel save for the one reply to the first email I sent them. Personally, I am still in no hurry but I just thought I would pass on what my experience has been so far. BTW, last time I checked, their web site still showed the front tire to be in stock.

Have you talked to anyone on the phone about your order, or is this all email? 

Say what?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »
Have you talked to anyone on the phone about your order, or is this all email?
+1.  I placed an order (or thought I did) through their website a couple of months ago.  When nothing happened with the order, I called and found out that they had some website trouble, and that my order had not gone through, despite it still showing up when I accessed the site.  Then placed the order by phone, and all was well.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
The front (journey) being back-ordered is the entire reason I put the Shinko 005 on the front just before the rally
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
The front (journey) being back-ordered is the entire reason I put the Shinko 005 on the front just before the rally

I have a new front SE890 that I don't have to put on...
'02 C-10

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »
Reply from Chaparrel today. They "anticipate" delivery (to them) in the first 2 weeks in July. I am not in a hurry YET, but will be after then. Just thought ya'll would like to know in case someone is wanting to purchase the tires as a set.
Woody
2014 V-Max

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
Reply from Chaparrel today. They "anticipate" delivery (to them) in the first 2 weeks in July. I am not in a hurry YET, but will be after then. Just thought ya'll would like to know in case someone is wanting to purchase the tires as a set.

So thats a yes?  All communication by email? 

I much prefer to order things like this by phone.  If there is ANY doubt it could be in stock (as was mentioned in this thread), it solves the problem before there is one, as talking to an actual person gets you the up to the second info that quite a few websites dont show, as evidenced by your issue with the non-stocked tire. 

Say what?

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
Lodogg, yes, just email. As far as I know, NOBODY in N.America has the Shinko 890 Journey FRONT tire in stock. I see no reason to call them at this time. They would be shooting themselves in the foot by not shipping the tire as my order was/is a guarantee sale. I just happen to not be in a hurry (wouldn't matter anyway due to tire being AWOL) because I can't ride until I get my ankle brace. I would have liked to know they were out of stock when I placed my order though, I might have gone with a different combination of tires.
Woody
2014 V-Max

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »
Lodogg, yes, just email. As far as I know, NOBODY in N.America has the Shinko 890 Journey FRONT tire in stock. I see no reason to call them at this time. They would be shooting themselves in the foot by not shipping the tire as my order was/is a guarantee sale. I just happen to not be in a hurry (wouldn't matter anyway due to tire being AWOL) because I can't ride until I get my ankle brace. I would have liked to know they were out of stock when I placed my order though, I might have gone with a different combination of tires.
Chapparal is showing it "In Stock" as of this posting.  Might be worth a call anyway.  Takes a bit of waiting on hold to actually talk to someone, but it certainly won't hurt.  When I was trying to get mine, and the internet order got FUBARed, their website changed the availability quite often, so it seems like it is reasonably tied in to their actual stock.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
They do not have the front tire in stock. My order went through with no problems, I received the conformation email showing I ordered both tires . They immediately shipped the rear tire, now sitting in my garage.
Woody
2014 V-Max

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
As of today, still no SE890 journey FRONT tire in stock. I have decided to go with the (Shinko) 005 Advance in the same size. It is similar to the SE890 journey with very good reviews on different sites. It WAS/IS in stock, my account has been charged and the tire is on the way.
Woody
2014 V-Max

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:21 AM »
As of today, still no SE890 journey FRONT tire in stock. I have decided to go with the (Shinko) 005 Advance in the same size. It is similar to the SE890 journey with very good reviews on different sites. It WAS/IS in stock, my account has been charged and the tire is on the way.
Not to make light of your situation...but it sounded exactly like my story.  You will like the 005 890 combination.  The play very nice together.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 10:26:59 PM »
I am now the proud papa of a shiny new Shinko 005 Advance front tire. I asked Chapparel to let me know when they do get the SE890 front tire in stock.
Woody
2014 V-Max

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2012, 07:34:11 AM »

Don't overlook the Shinko 011 Verge for the front tire also. The 1st one returned 16k and was just at the wearbars when I replaced it w/ the same.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
Yeah, I was going to try the 777 (rear) with the 011 (front) but decided to give the "wing" sizes a try. The 011 doesn't come in the 130/70/18 size (as far as I know) for the front. I wanted to run the SE890 on the front and rear, but my timing is bad. I'm ready to ride, and the 005 was a pretty close match to the SE890 so that's what I went with. If these don't feel right, then I'll probably try the 777,011 combo. Thanks for the heads up.
Woody
2014 V-Max

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
I do have the 011 on the front. A little more "sport" of a tire I hear, it has worked well for me. I just did 200 or so in on and off again rain on the Snake (Shady Valley, 421, etc) and it was perfectly fine, both of them. the too and from there was another 3 hours of turns and fun. No tire issues.

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »
Ok, this will most likely be my last reply to this thread. The following is a reply from Chaparral  in answer to my request asking them to let me know when the Shinko SE890 front tire was in stock. This is not a rant, I'm just passing on the info just in case one of Y'all might want to purchase that particular tire.

"Unfortunately, we will not be able to let you know about the SE890. We do not see what shipments come into the warehouse across the street and this particular tire needs to be ordered first, we will not be receiving any extra for stock right now."
Woody
2014 V-Max