Author Topic: Made my own tinted shorty C14 windshield.  (Read 16197 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Made my own tinted shorty C14 windshield.
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »
Max, Calsci makes a tinted shorty that might work for you.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

Not even sure I care about tinted, but like others said, it might be too tall for a shorty.  Just not sure.  One thing that is interesting, is the "calsci cutout" is missing on their shorty. 

Ironically, I do find myself using the shield up high in the evening/night during summer or I will be completely covered in damn bugs!!  But during summer day riding, I just melt!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »
Wow- that is really generous, especially considering you are pretty far away.

I have a season pass to Bush Gardens, so I get up your way about every month.

One thing that is interesting, is the "calsci cutout" is missing on their shorty.

When I first shorten mine, I was getting back pressure and a little dirty air when it was 3/4 to full up, so I added the Cal Sci cutout. Problem solved.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »

When I first shorten mine, I was getting back pressure and a little dirty air when it was 3/4 to full up, so I added the Cal Sci cutout. Problem solved.
[/quote]

I may add that too, anyone know approximate dimensions and location of the cut out?
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT Auto

Offline mikev

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2012, 06:05:38 AM »
Hello all, I have a Sports screen from Eagle Screens on an 08. It is 100mm (4ins) shorter than the standard one. Also it is tinted. For summer it is great. for winter I just have the standard clear screen. Tinted screen on a black bike looks great. (my opinion)

http://www.eaglescreens.com.au/?productcats=kawasaki

I don't know their shipping costs to the US.
Hope this is useful to someone.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »
So it took me a looooooooooooong time, but I finally have my own shorty.  Bought one of those spare windshields on 11-09-2013.  Since I have an Xcreen clamp-on, adjustable windscreen extender, I need the top to stay straight, not round.  And others say a 4" drop is needed.  I went for a 5" drop, since I will be using the Xscreen with it and have more flexibility/options with it.

Drove to my friend's house and removed my old shield.  Taped it up, marked 5" down, cut it with his band saw.  It was surprisingly easy and effective.  Then on the scrap I tested using a torch to try and melt the edge nice... um, that is not going to happen.  The plastic either burns or bubbles or discolors.  If I just wave it around a lot carefully then nothing happens.  So we used an air powered handheld grinder with a plastic wool (?) pad and made the edges smooth and tapered.

It is far from a perfect cut, but it isn't that bad either... most people would probably not even notice.  Only driven once with it, yet, and that was tonight... and it was 70F, so I had it fully up and with the Xscreen half engaged.  With it down- wow!  So I think this might go a long way to helping with summer overheating.  When the lows start to get back into the low 70's again, it will probably be time to switch back to the full screen.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2014, 04:37:08 AM »
So it took me a looooooooooooong time, but I finally have my own shorty.  Bought one of those spare windshields on 11-09-2013.  Since I have an Xcreen clamp-on, adjustable windscreen extender, I need the top to stay straight, not round.  And others say a 4" drop is needed.  I went for a 5" drop, since I will be using the Xscreen with it and have more flexibility/options with it.

Drove to my friend's house and removed my old shield.  Taped it up, marked 5" down, cut it with his band saw.  It was surprisingly easy and effective.  Then on the scrap I tested using a torch to try and melt the edge nice... um, that is not going to happen.  The plastic either burns or bubbles or discolors.  If I just wave it around a lot carefully then nothing happens.  So we used an air powered handheld grinder with a plastic wool (?) pad and made the edges smooth and tapered.

It is far from a perfect cut, but it isn't that bad either... most people would probably not even notice.  Only driven once with it, yet, and that was tonight... and it was 70F, so I had it fully up and with the Xscreen half engaged.  With it down- wow!  So I think this might go a long way to helping with summer overheating.  When the lows start to get back into the low 70's again, it will probably be time to switch back to the full screen.

Yep, using a band saw is the way to go. You should have used a heat gun instead of a torch, Max. I used a file and then some wet/dry sandpaper when I did my cut down. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2014, 06:09:22 AM »
Yep, using a band saw is the way to go. You should have used a heat gun instead of a torch, Max. I used a file and then some wet/dry sandpaper when I did my cut down.

My friend did mention "let's try a heat gun instead", but then we couldn't find it!  (He has a hell of a lot of tools)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »

And attached is a photo (finally) of it with the Xscreen mounted on top.  Highest riding temp so far has been 86F, so it will be getting much hotter later.  But already I can tell this was a wonderful modification and I am very pleased.  With 5" shorter, I can now get air all over my whole chest (instead of just my neck with the stock screen) so the ride is SO much cooler.  And since the night lows can still plummet in the 60's right now (occasionally), the Xscreen on top is wonderful because I can adjust it to make the cut screen taller than the stock screen, when I both a few inches (with the power controls).  I have a lot of flexibility.  As with many mods, I wish I had this years ago...

The only hard part will be determining when to switch back to the full-sized screen.