Author Topic: couple of problems I found starting my second valve adjustment.  (Read 5087 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
I did the first at 20,000 miles and changed 15 shims IIRC. Now at 55,000 miles I had the plastic off for coolant change so I am checking the valves and will put in new iridium spark plugs, throttle body sync and hope to have no worries for another 45,000 :)

I found that the foam heat guard pads on the inside of the middle cowlings look brittle and crumbly. They are still mostly intact but I don't think they will last much longer. I ordered them when I ordered my replacement coolant overflow bottle (which I busted by overtightening a mounting bolt) I noticed that the pad part numbers have been superceded so maybe Kawi recognizes the foam is not up to the task.

Also noticed that both bottom (left and right) engine mount bolts were missing. I had to go back and submit a second order! The part numbers for this bolt has also been superceded. THis bolt uses thread locker. I did not use new bolts (you are supposed to) last time but did use thread locker ???

The strange thing is that I never noticed any vibration or handling issues with these engine mounts unconnected to the engine.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: couple of problems I found starting my second valve adjustment.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
I did the first at 20,000 miles and changed 15 shims IIRC. Now at 55,000 miles I had the plastic off for coolant change so I am checking the valves and will put in new iridium spark plugs, throttle body sync and hope to have no worries for another 45,000 :)

I found that the foam heat guard pads on the inside of the middle cowlings look brittle and crumbly. They are still mostly intact but I don't think they will last much longer. I ordered them when I ordered my replacement coolant overflow bottle (which I busted by overtightening a mounting bolt) I noticed that the pad part numbers have been superceded so maybe Kawi recognizes the foam is not up to the task.

Also noticed that both bottom (left and right) engine mount bolts were missing. I had to go back and submit a second order! The part numbers for this bolt has also been superceded. THis bolt uses thread locker. I did not use new bolts (you are supposed to) last time but did use thread locker ???

The strange thing is that I never noticed any vibration or handling issues with these engine mounts unconnected to the engine.

Hmm, which bolts?  Maybe I should try removing mine.   :D
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
Which bolts? The most expensive ones on the bike, of course!
"Mfg Product Number: 92154-0089
Description: BOLT,SOCKET,12X268    for 2008 KAWASAKI Concours 14
(ZG1400-A8F)
Order Quantity: 2
Unit Price: $15.96
Total Cost: $31.92 "
And that is at a discount place!

They are the bottom socket bolt for the left and right front engine mounts - the Y shaped cast aluminum piece with two hex head bolts at the top and the socket blot at the bottom

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:01:29 PM »
I don't think you need any engine bolts as long as you have a fresh battery in your FOB....

Strange that those bolts both fell out. As I remember, they are pretty robust and torqued to a fairly high value. Not jabbing at you in any way but is it possible you might have forgotten to tighten them? Like perhaps you were going to go back with a torque wrench and forgot? I think we have all been there at least once... and probably more than that.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
I think our friend Lather is challenging the legend, Haroldo, with his exploits.  This is good as Haroldo doesn't play here much anymore.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 06:30:12 PM »
It is possible probable that I forgot to tighten them, same as the fender bolts. I was probably in the process of switching from a hex socket to an allen socket on my torque wrench when I was suddenly distracted by one of the usual daily occurences around here like lightening striking the house and causing a water main leak, or the washing machine backing up into the guest toilet, or a  Panther  wacking a gash in the dogs nose. Although I am merely a motorcyclist, everyone else around here, for reasons unexplained, considers me HOH and expects me to attend to these issues and promptly.

However, my theory is that some crackhead found out how expensive these bolts are and stole them to sell for drug money.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
However, my theory is that some crackhead found out how expensive these bolts are and stole them to sell for drug money.

:rotflmao:

That's probably it!

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:12:07 AM »
It is possible probable that I forgot to tighten them, same as the fender bolts. I was probably in the process of switching from a hex socket to an allen socket on my torque wrench when I was suddenly distracted by one of the usual daily occurences around here like lightening striking the house and causing a water main leak, or the washing machine backing up into the guest toilet, or a  Panther  wacking a gash in the dogs nose. Although I am merely a motorcyclist, everyone else around here, for reasons unexplained, considers me HOH and expects me to attend to these issues and promptly.

A thrill a minute around your place eh?  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:34:52 AM »
A thrill a minute around your place eh?  :o
Yes, it is scary. I have to go on long road trips frequently just to relax.

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »
Yes, it is scary. I have to go on long road trips frequently just to relax.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of relaxation therapy!  :thumbs:

Offline Rawman

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »

Thank you Lather, that cracked me up, I needed that.......
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »
Thank you Lather, that cracked me up, I needed that.......
Anytime...Was that pun intended? ;)