Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 727693 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2200 on: December 17, 2015, 01:01:17 PM »
I have to admit it- this would not have occurred to me but is pretty slick (pun intended).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZSmjxBLIc

Brian

Interesting, but if a skate snags on something and you trip and fall, where does your face go? Right into the chain saw. I guess that's the reason for the full face helmet.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2201 on: December 17, 2015, 01:13:10 PM »
What are you saying? That this is dangerous? Hmmmm- never thought of that, you may be right. I am going to take off my skates, shut off the chain saw and think about this for a bit.

Brian

Interesting, but if a skate snags on something and you trip and fall, where does your face go? Right into the chain saw. I guess that's the reason for the full face helmet.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2202 on: December 17, 2015, 01:18:17 PM »
They aren't hover skates are they?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2203 on: December 17, 2015, 01:43:59 PM »
What are you saying? That this is dangerous? Hmmmm- never thought of that, you may be right. I am going to take off my skates, shut off the chain saw and think about this for a bit.

Brian

Well in the grand scheme of things, probably not any more dangerous than riding a C14 at 130+... not that any of us have done that  ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2204 on: December 17, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
Well, on a serious note: I think a chain saw is probably the most dangerous thing anyone can buy and use. Really. A fantastic tool (I own two of them and heat my house with wood) but almost certainly the least forgiving (commonly available) tool or device made. And when they are sharp, as I keep mine, they are really grabby which makes it really tough to get nicked by one of them. And the wounds they leave behind are an absolute nightmare- there is little left to sew back together and what is there looks like hamburger. Never been hurt with one myself but have seen a few 'incidents' that I would have been just as happy to miss. Also saw a pretty nasty snowblower accident but really, the operator really contributed to his own accident and it was a very old machine- the ones that had the augers turning whenever they were running; today all of them have two dead- man switches on them to prevent exactly what I witnessed.

Personally, I do not find running a modern motorcycle, in good condition, on decent roads, to be all that dangerous. Speed is not nearly as dangerous as the other 'S' word.... stupid, on a motorcycle IMO.

Now, all of that said, it was still a pretty cool video.  ;) ;D

Brian

Well in the grand scheme of things, probably not any more dangerous than riding a C14 at 130+... not that any of us have done that  ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2205 on: December 18, 2015, 04:55:29 AM »

Yeah yeah, but can you juggle chain saws at 130?

He's not juggling chainsaws and not moving at 130, but, damn.

! No longer available

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2206 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:43 AM »
That's on the new test for getting a MC license..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2207 on: December 24, 2015, 07:10:15 AM »
Went to turn on my 2 year old Dell desktop yesterday and, nothing. Well, almost nothing. I got a solid amber power LED, not good. After some research and trouble shooting it seems that the motherboard bit the dust.  :o

More research and $90 later a replacement is on it's way. It's been a long time since I replaced a motherboard. At least there's plenty of room inside the case.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2208 on: December 24, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
Went down that same road a couple of weeks ago. Old machine, old OS so I just bought a new box. Middle of the road system from Dell, purchased from Best Buy 'cause they had one in stock. After starting to set it up (and really, does that ever end?) I found out it does NOT support RAID. Back to Best Buy and ordered a workstation from Dell. Could not set up RAID on that one either, even with the help of some fine Indian gentleman. Finally got to a better level of tech. support, got RAID working but wiped out the boot drive in the process.... no problem, they sent me a DVD with the OS on it (no software or paper comes with the new machine at all whatsoever) and have been having fun with this one. Winddoze 10 started off with promise but the first three times it "upgraded" itself and then failed to boot afterwards (three different times) it started getting old.

Thinking fondly back to the bad 'ole days of DOS 5.0......

Brian

Went to turn on my 2 year old Dell desktop yesterday and, nothing. Well, almost nothing. I got a solid amber power LED, not good. After some research and trouble shooting it seems that the motherboard bit the dust.  :o

More research and $90 later a replacement is on it's way. It's been a long time since I replaced a motherboard. At least there's plenty of room inside the case.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2209 on: December 24, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »
My Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs have been solid.  Starting to think I don't want to go to 10.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2210 on: December 24, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
I have gone to 10 on all but one PC at home and that's the Wife's laptop. She's stubborn for change.
I love 10.
Even my gaming PC is 10 and I Haven't had any issues.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2211 on: December 24, 2015, 09:30:24 AM »
Did you do their online upgrade?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2212 on: December 24, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
So here is my advice.
First, start the online update, and do the method where you can download the entire Image to a flash drive.
Then perform the online update on every machine you want to upgrade.
Once you've done the upgrade on each PC, you can then use your USB drive to install 10 fresh and format the drive.
That way you have a clean install on each PC.
Its a bit of a long process, but its a good idea.
Once you have installed Windows 10 on a PC, Microsoft has the "license" stored, so you can reinstall and activate without an issue.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2213 on: December 24, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »
How about just going back to xp?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2214 on: December 24, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
XP was a good OS but not as stable as 7 or even 8.1.  I can't recall the number of blue screens I got with XP.  Glad to be off of it.  As long as you are doing nothing new from about  10 years ago you should be fine with it.

The problem is that the more you want to do or require newer peripherals, you have to keep upgrading the OS at some point or buy a new Intel platform.  The same is true of the IBM systems that I support.  You want to do more things you need to keep up with the OS and fix updates.

However, nothing wrong with being a Luddite, Gary.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2215 on: December 24, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »
semi-Luddite.....I do have a c14 after all.  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2216 on: December 24, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
Quite right!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2217 on: December 24, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »
That is where I was- and really resistant to moving on. But eventually the system becomes obsolescent and finally, obsolete; no more support, no more drivers and especially, no more new software packages that work with it. And besides all of that, new hardware does not support the old OS's. So once the hardware fries, there is little choice but to change eras regarding both the computer and OS, as well as all the software suites that go with it.

The legend with MS GUI systems is that every other one is OK / terrible, starting with windoze 3 (and 3.1), which was awful. Then some fuddling around and finally XP, which was not bad. Vista (terrible), Windoze 7 (not bad) and then the 8- series (lousy interfaces). Now -10, which seems to be quite nice regarding the interface although a little clunky on actual operation and especially, upgrades. But I have only been using the system for a couple of weeks.... spread across two boxes, several drive systems (RAID finally working) and several re-installs of Windoze. The really nice (kind of) part that goes with all of this is that virtually all of my software packages have to be upgraded as well with SolidWorks being quite radical; they have improved it such that I almost cannot use it :-)

At least this new system comes with a fob....

Brian

How about just going back to xp?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2218 on: December 24, 2015, 09:48:58 PM »
Winddoze 10 started off with promise but the first three times it "upgraded" itself and then failed to boot afterwards (three different times) it started getting old.

Thinking fondly back to the bad 'ole days of DOS 5.0......

Time for Linux...  my recommendation is Mageia http://www.mageia.org/en/
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2219 on: December 25, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »
The problem is that the machine and OS are specified by the apps I have to run, and they all come down to Windoze. No choice at all. Some apps are available for Macs but few, if any, high- end modeling and analysis programs are written to run on Linux, DOS or anything of the like. The good news is that at least now there is enough 'horsepower' to run these apps on these bloated, clunky and very inefficient OS's; SmartCam, ORCAD and quite a few others ran faster and more reliably back in the 90's under DOS on 486 / first gen. Pentiums than the same software under, say, XP and a dual core processor from the mid- 2000's. Now at least with i7 or Xeon processors, very high buss speeds (my new machine has 2333 MHz RAM buss) and almost infinite storage, at least we can throw a lot of hardware performance at mediocre software, specifically OS's.

Brian

Time for Linux...  my recommendation is Mageia http://www.mageia.org/en/