Author Topic: Stealth Back Rest  (Read 4717 times)

Offline ARS

Stealth Back Rest
« on: October 11, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »
Hey guys - I'm considering purchasing a back rest from "pirate lair", called a stealth backrest. . .
http://pirateslair.net/ConcoursStealth.htm
Has anyone purchased one and if so the PICs make it appear to be leaning back too far, am I right?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Stealth Back Rest
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »
I would not use it mounted to the stock plastic rack if I valued my ole'Lady.

Offline ARS

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »
My first Wife died from eating poison mushrooms, my second from a broken neck :'(. . .
. . . she wouldn't eat her mushrooms! :P, backrest mishap? You think it'd fly? naaawww, an aluminum rack is part of the package, guess that's why it's on the pricey side ($375.00)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »
I don't think you can mount a trunk with it though if that's important to you...

I know for me, when mama is on board for even a day ride we sure bring alot of stuff...  :-\

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 01:49:25 AM »
I was also considering the Stealth backrest but I'm not too comfortable with the "knob style" tightening nut. I'm wondering if "someone" can just unscrew it and walk away with my backrest. It's also a little pricey also.

I like the Premier Cycle Accessories backrest but downside is no top case can be used with it.
The Advanced Sport Touring backrest might be the best option if you plan on using a top box
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:03:31 AM »
My first Wife died from eating poison mushrooms, my second from a broken neck :'(. . .
. . . she wouldn't eat her mushrooms! :P, backrest mishap? You think it'd fly? naaawww, an aluminum rack is part of the package, guess that's why it's on the pricey side ($375.00)
Missed the included rack part. Sometime my reading skills aren't up to par.
Sorry about the wives. Your names not Peterson by chance is it?  ;)

Offline uspmike

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 04:49:39 AM »
I have one of these backrests on my 08 Concourse and it works great. It does include an aluminum luggage rack. My wife and I spent 7 days in the Smokies and she was happy with it. We don't have a trunk and never will so that's not an issue. As far as the attaching knob it works fine. At night I take it into the hotel room with me. No big deal.
Thanks,Mike

Offline seajay

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:23:53 AM »
I have the "old" version of the PCA backrest, once we got it adjusted right for wifey, she said it's completely comfortable and swears by it. The version I have is adjustable a small amount up and down, but I don't see that in the description of this one. Maybe their redesign removed that functionality? We ended up pretty closed to centered in the movement range, so it may be a non-issue. Of course, YMMV.

http://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=2702&RetURL=search&search=bike&bikeType=&bikeMake=Kawasaki&bikeModel=Concours%201400&bikeYear=2009
09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 07:12:54 AM »
Install of the Concours stealth rack is chimp easy taking all of 10 minutes. See link below for full installation instructions.

Chimp easy?????

$375, that's more then a Corbin backrest.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »
The Pirates-Lair rack sits 2.250" farther forward than the stock rack so it would probably crowd a passenger if used with a trunk, however it is probably OK for a solo rider. To make his rack more versatile, I make a set of rails that will move his rack back to the stock location so it can be used with a trunk. The knob can be removed and an Allen bolt (included) substituted to make it more secure. His rack has an aluminum channel welded to the underside of the rack that holds the backrest securely. It might be difficult to use both the backrest & trunk at the same time. His backrest has some latitude in forward/rear placement that might allow it to fit with a trunk.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline ARS

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
Thanks for all your input guys.  I’m not too keen on the solid trunk; to me they just don’t flow with the lines of the bike.  They just seem to be hanging out there.  The stealth has a couple of bags, one is a cylindrical bedroll like bag and the other is their “Universal Helmet Bag” . . .

http://pirateslair.net/R50T.jpg

I also don’t like the adjustment knob.  I’d likely replace it with a starred bolt.  I think I’m going to pull the trigger on this.  I’ll let you know how it works out and if my “chimp” skills are up to the task.

Bill (ARS) Princeton MN

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 03:02:40 PM »
Also, post some pics with the final install
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
I tested the Pirates Lair backrest when Phil was finalizing the design.  It is a quality unit and if I did not use a trunk I would have purchased one.  I believe Sargent makes the backrest portion but my memory is cloudy on that.    If you need photos I have plenty. 

Offline ARS

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »
Received the backrest/rack and I installed it in less than ten minutes. I used the allen nut that comes with it in lieu of the knob.  If someone really wanted it, they’d take the whole rack assembly as long as they had the right wrench.  There is no adjustment up and down, but about two inches fore and aft, not incrementally either there are two holes to choose from.  I took my 9 year old for a short ride and he likes it.  I like the added security knowing I’m less likely to leave him on the road.  My bride hasn’t been on the bike yet, she hasn’t been fitted for a helmet yet, so no criticism/comments from an adult passenger yet.  I purchased the “Universal Helmet Bag”.  I like the rigid frame and it flows nicely with the lines of the bike.  If you wear a full face helmet (Arai XL in my case) good luck getting it through the hatch! It’s quite small. . .  I didn’t buy it for a helmet bag, just extra storage.  I’ll post some pictures when time permits.  So far I’d give the fit and finish a ten, the design of the bag an eight, the adjustments a seven.

Best Regards,

Bill (Princeton, MN)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 05:04:18 AM »
Install of the Concours stealth rack is chimp easy taking all of 10 minutes. See link below for full installation instructions.

Chimp easy?????

$375, that's more then a Corbin backrest.

That's what the chimp said.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn