Author Topic: Avoid rocks, blew both tires and rims destroyed!  (Read 12632 times)

Offline Irish-14

Avoid rocks, blew both tires and rims destroyed!
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:51:38 AM »
Yesterday, riding out of Oatman, AZ on historic route 66, I hit a softball sized, sharp rock head on at about 20 mph. Somehow I was able to keep her up, 2011 C-14 w/ 1.8k mi, only to find that I had severely bent up both rims and tires, rendering the bike un-rideable. A tow truck, a u-haul, and a lot of sweat later, she's resting in my garage awaiting a quote. Everyone in my group was surprised that both rims were  damaged to that extent, I was as well. Man, do I wish I saw that rock, ruined a great day for my entire crew. Quick Question: How much do you think it's going to cost me to replace both rims and put a new set of PR2's on? Go Irish!

Bob

Re: Avoid rocks, blew both tires and rims destroyed!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:02:54 AM »
From Ron Ayers:

front wheel assy: $579
rear  wheel assy: $624

From Murphs:

PR2's:   $306 shipped

Plus any labor or any other parts you may have damaged. I suggest getting a high estimate from one or two dealers. Then ordering the parts yourself and installing them. Save some cash on the deal doing it yourself!

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:16:27 AM »
Quick Question: How much do you think it's going to cost me to replace both rims and put a new set of PR2's on? Go Irish!

Man, sorry to hear about the bad luck.  They may be repairable, this is a link to a friend of mine who repairs bent wheels

http://www.mindspring.com/~wheelbendermender/wheelbender01.htm

Hopefully he can help
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:34:20 AM »
Wow! Good job keeping her up! That should be interesting getting your insurance company to pay, did you call em?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TPXX

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:41:04 AM »
Pics?? Curious how bad it looks.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »
 :yikes:

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 12:01:58 PM »
I hit a piece of a 4X4 on my Gold Wind once doing about 60 MPH, scary as heck but I kept it up and never bent a rim or wrecked a tire, I would think that the rims on your concours should take a rock at 20 mph. Good luck with the repairs.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »
Go Irish!
Did you hit a Leprechaun instead?  Might have been cheaper because you could get his pot o' gold.  :)
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »
Are you sure it was 20mph? I race motocross and hit lots of rocks (sometimes intentionally  :P) at higher speeds than that and rarely even ding the rim. And you've got a tougher rim with a lot more rubber around it.

[Or if "20mph" is what you were telling the insurance guy, I get it . . .]

Excavator

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
Must be some soft rims, I've hit some bad pot holes on the interstate at night w/no dammage.

Good luck with repairs.

Offline jayke

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
Rims on a street bike are softer than you think if you hit them just right. 

I bent both rims hitting a huge chuckhole merging on the interstate when I had my FJR.  It was over $1200.00 with new bearings and all.  I turned it in to Insurance and my insurance doubled the next year so I changed companies.

My latest adventure Saturday was hitting a buzzard that popped up from the weeds at the side of the road 20 feet in front of me while I'm doing 70 MPH.  Took out my headlights and upper fairing.  Around $650.00 to fix it. I won't turn this one in.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 01:43:33 PM »
rims on ebay for $200-$250

Offline Mark

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 04:18:28 PM »
I hit a fallen rock last year on 66 along the Ohio river west of Louisville going 60+.   Bent front rim, but missed the back.  Bike was amazingly stable (at least more than I would expect never having blown a front tire before, maybe the death grip I put on the handlebars had something to do with it...) as I was able to stop the bike upright on the shoulder.   Be sure check underneath for any other damage.   The rock I hit came up and hit oil drain bolt as well (seems the shield protected it or it would have probably caused a leak, wonder if that's why they moved them on the 2010+ models).  Shop will charge lots of labor to change out an oil pan as header has to be removed.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
From Ron Ayers:

front wheel assy: $579
rear  wheel assy: $624

From Murphs:

PR2's:   $306 shipped

Plus any labor or any other parts you may have damaged. I suggest getting a high estimate from one or two dealers. Then ordering the parts yourself and installing them. Save some cash on the deal doing it yourself!

Ummm...is that legal?  It is also why many insurance companies are now submitting a form 1099 along with the repair check ...both made out to the shop...it is an expense on the part of the insurance company...and is passed-on as DOCUMENTED income to the shop...fewer shops are willing to cross that line anymore...the amount of the check is the amount for the repair...they probably don't like you THAT much!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:01:49 AM by CRocker »
'02 C-10

Bob

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 06:19:08 PM »
Ummm...is that legal?  It is also why many insurance companies are now submitting a form 1099 along with the repair check ...both made out to the shop...it is an expense on the part of the insurance company...and is passed-on as DOCUMENTED income to the shop...fewer shops are willing to cross that line anymore...the amount of the check is the amount for the repair...they probably don't like you THAT much!

It is legal for you to perform the work on your bike. They may require an inspection to insure that it has been done. But they figure the labor rate to have the work done. It's your choice where you have it done. It's also your choice should you choose to perform the labor yourself. Why should you work for free or have to trust someone else. But like I said proof of repairs may be required to continue the proper coverage.
 I repaired my bike when the young women hit the bike last Augest. The Progressive adjuster cut me a check and even suggested that I do it myself. The down side of repairing yourself, may be making more adjustments if other problems are found. A shop would probably have an easier time getting more out of them!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 06:20:55 PM »

I always get a check made out to me from my insurance company.  I haven't had any claims for my bikes, but for my cages I always have money left over, even after the insurance company keeps my $250 deductible.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Irish-14

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 06:33:43 PM »
Here you go, the picture, never as bad as it seemed in real life. That's the actual rock I hit, still wondering how you don't see something that size. Will add another pick of the bike getting loaded. Bike at the shop right now, said that the front rim needs to be replaced and the tires as well. Rear rim will get looked at tomorrow to see if it can be repaired. Front forks and rest all in good shape. Leprechaun comments were funny! Go Irish!

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »
Man that looks bad.....

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »
Now that's a big damn rock! Now I can understand the damage level.

Offline Irish-14

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »
The more I look at the picture, it's almost like slamming into a curb at 20-25mph. I'm so lucky I hit that thing straight on, could've been painful. My friends said my rear was as high as my head, would've loved to see a video of my fat arse in the air. Go Irish!