Author Topic: a small failure  (Read 959 times)

Offline berna1201

• berna1201
a small failure
« on: January 31, 2024, 12:14:27 AM »
On a ride, during a low speed maneuver on a parking lot, the sidecar starts to twitch in small jerks then stops, everything is switched off at the dashboard, even the clock.
You know, in these cases, a multitude of things go through the head at high speed...
And I stopped on the vision of the white and red wire with a lug which feeds the fuse box of the battery and which under the fuse box, all the current which feeds the motorcycle goes away, ditto for the recharging of the battery.
Indeed, the lug had taken some play and had partially disconnected, a slight tightening with the clamp and it started again.
A business smoothly conducted under the amazed look of my wife who appreciated the speed and my "phlegm".
Back home, I replaced all the white and red wire, which was well brittle and slightly oxidized in places, I had the lugs that went well, and I fixed it on the + of the starter power switch instead of it being soldered on the battery wire, which, on Mimile is in the trunk.

I do not earn money with my blog, it is only for sharing.
side car GTR1000/JEWEL, "Mimile"
solo GTR1000 "Grisette"

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Re: a small failure
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 08:02:14 AM »
Good find. I doubt I would've had the presence of mind to find that in that situation.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 01:04:50 PM »
Excellent!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 02:02:08 AM »
Good knowledge. That red/white wire that runs under the J-Box is pretty critical to everything running normally.
On both of mine I have had to replace the connector there due to corrosion. Likewise for the alternator to battery connector.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline berna1201

• berna1201
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 06:08:43 AM »
In fact, I wonder why there is this connector, I redone the entire wire with this connector, but I think I will redo another without, to avoid problems.
solo GTR1000 "Grisette"

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 07:40:48 AM »
That White/Red wire is the main power feed for all of the motorcycle except for the starter relay/motor.
When it disconnects, nothing works. It is a strange wire to connect with an unsecured connector.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline berna1201

• berna1201
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 09:44:30 AM »
I just rewired the cable, stay to mount it  ;)

solo GTR1000 "Grisette"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 12:39:28 PM »
Should last longer than the original..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.