Author Topic: Bifocal sunglasses  (Read 23771 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Bifocal sunglasses
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 04:35:02 AM »
They sell those strips somewhere.  I used to use them until I got the sunshades built into the visor along with a tinted external visor.  Problem with the strips were that they would peel off at the wrong times.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »
I put a strip of very dark tint across the top of it to block direct view of the sun.

A good pair of sunglasses won't be affected by buffeting.

Another good trick, especially good for riding into a rising or setting Sun, is to put a small piece a strategically placed black electrical tape to the visor. You can move your head slightly to block the Sun. I have been doing this for years.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 12:12:19 PM »
There are cheaper options from www.readingglasses.com though, and I don't think $95 for a pair of progressive lens sunglasses is expensive. I have had mine for over a year and use them almost daily, I travel and am on cruise ships almost weekly and spend a lot of time reading in the sun. They are good lenses and have not scratched, despite less than careful use.

This is a good site, but I don't see a way to choose separate powers for the progressives. In other words, I'd like 1.00+ for looking down the road and 1.50+ for reading the gauges.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
For the glare, a sheet of window tint across the upper and lower part of the visor works really well. The upper part for the sun obviously but the lower part to block the glare coming off the mirrors at night (this bike has relatively low mounted mirrors so reflect a lot more of the headlights of the vehicles following) as well as dimming down the instruments and gauges, which I find a bit bright.

As far as reading glasses goes, if I were you, I would just ask the dummy to look at things for you and relay the information. He does not need reading glasses after all.... right?

Now I have a mental image of that and a case of the chuckles..... :-)

Brian

Another good trick, especially good for riding into a rising or setting Sun, is to put a small piece a strategically placed black electrical tape to the visor. You can move your head slightly to block the Sun. I have been doing this for years.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 02:38:16 PM »
This is a good site, but I don't see a way to choose separate powers for the progressives. In other words, I'd like 1.00+ for looking down the road and 1.50+ for reading the gauges.

I don't think that makes sense....  "+" diopters for are close/near/reading (farsighted).  Looking at a distance (more than a few feet) any "+" adjustment will make things fuzzy (there are a few exceptions to this, but it is rare).  For distance vision correction, you would need a "-" diopter adjustment (nearsighted), something on your prescription from an optometrist.  And many people (myself included) also need a significant astigmatism (distortion) correction across all vision (it will affect near and far vision).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »
Not sure what to tell you.
I can't read worth a **** without glasses.
However if I put on my doctor issued sunglasses which I use to drive with, I can read.
However they are clearly not as powerful as my reading glasses which are closer to 1.50+
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »
Not sure what to tell you.
I can't read worth a **** without glasses.
However if I put on my doctor issued sunglasses which I use to drive with, I can read.
However they are clearly not as powerful as my reading glasses which are closer to 1.50+

Your doctor-issued [prescription] sunglasses are probably bifocals/trifocals/progressive (have both a "-" top and "+" bottom correction in them) or they might have one or the other (top or bottom) be plain and yet still have an astigmatism correction- which will affect/correct both near and far at the same time.  If they are not as powerful for reading, it could be the "+" (bottom section) prescription is out of date on your sunglasses and thus too weak.  This is not uncommon- my sunglasses' top prescription is way out of date simply because I was too cheap to spring for new lenses :)  And my main non-sunglasses glasses are now 2 years old and the +1.25 reading section is just starting to be a bit too weak.  I have an eye exam scheduled for next week and it wouldn't surprise me if I am now close to +1.5
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »
They are not bifocals. I would guess they have a power of 1.00 or less however.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2015, 03:17:10 PM »
They are not bifocals. I would guess they have a power of 1.00 or less however.

With really low "+" powers (usually 0.25 to maybe 0.75) you can sometimes get away with looking through them for distance.  But +1.0 is really strong for trying to force your eyes use for distance and I would be surprised that is not ruining your distance vision.

If anyone is confused by what I am saying, lift your glasses up and try looking at something across the room through the reading section :)

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
No doubt, you're probably right it is lower than 1.0.
I hate my new reading glasses around the office because I'm constantly taking them off and putting them back on to walk around and to read.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
No doubt, you're probably right it is lower than 1.0.
I hate my new reading glasses around the office because I'm constantly taking them off and putting them back on to walk around and to read.

I know exactly what you mean.  My distance vision, even with astigmatism is still good enough I really don't HAVE to wear glasses all the time (I don't wear them watching TV or on the motorcycle).... but the reading and computer is such a problem now that I gave up taking them on and off and on and off and just wear them all the time now.  I can't even read my watch without them now.  I surrender.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
They sell those strips somewhere.  I used to use them until I got the sunshades built into the visor along with a tinted external visor.  Problem with the strips were that they would peel off at the wrong times.

I put the strip on the built in retractable sun visor. It's not subject to any wind so it doesn't peel off. It's just very dark auto window tint with adhesive backing. I cut a strip to the width I liked and stuck it along the top edge of the sun visor. Works well for me. Tinted external shields are fine during the day but I occasionally ride at night, not much but when I do a tinted face shield is too dark. I hate wearing glasses inside the helmet, so this works good for me.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 08:25:13 PM »

Not sure about your first statement; buffeting coming into the helmet is probably more a function of the helmet/windshield/rider height combination.

Yeah, something at the top of the face shield is another option for blocking the setting sun. Tape could be used at the top of the sun visor too. Both are good options. I really like the retractable sun visors. Great idea!!!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 10:20:01 PM »
I really like the retractable sun visors. Great idea!!!

I do too... one reason I bought the Scorpion EXO-1000 at the time.  Of course, they only included a "light smoke" tinted drop down (which is almost useless) to force the consumer to immediately buy a "dark smoke" one at $30...  Anyway, I don't think I can ever be without that feature now.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:43 AM »
I do too... one reason I bought the Scorpion EXO-1000 at the time.  Of course, they only included a "light smoke" tinted drop down (which is almost useless) to force the consumer to immediately buy a "dark smoke" one at $30...  Anyway, I don't think I can ever be without that feature now.

I've got one on my Shoei GT Air but I hardly ever use it.

Offline PH14

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »

As far as reading glasses goes, if I were you, I would just ask the dummy to look at things for you and relay the information. He does not need reading glasses after all.... right?

Now I have a mental image of that and a case of the chuckles..... :-)

Brian

:rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
Got a retractable shade in my last helmet, I will never own another helmet without one. Interstate travel, into the setting sun, across the desert, for several hours at a time, that retractable shield is priceless.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
:rotflmao: :chugbeer:

You're laughing and toasting Brian, but you really don't know which one he's referring to... ::) ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
Yeah, something at the top of the face shield is another option for blocking the setting sun. Tape could be used at the top of the sun visor too. Both are good options. I really like the retractable sun visors. Great idea!!!
I really like the Super-Visor. It keeps the glare off of the shield as well. I don't need the retractable sun visor near as much as I used to. I did a review of it but I couldn't find it here. Maybe I never posted it here?  :banghead:
I damaged my original mounts by being in a hurry and jamming my helmet in the side case with some other stuff and slamming the case shut. When it eventually came off I quickly missed it and reattached it with the sticky stuff and pop rivets.

Here is an old review

And mine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
Oh no, I really mean the dummy.... the one with the arm up his.... well, you know.

Man, if I had one o' dem thingies, I could have all kinds of fun; taste testing at restaurants, asking directions, looking up ladies' skirts, etc., etc. ad nauseum.

OFFTOPIC (yeah, like that was not already the case): long time ago, I was at a wedding and there were disposable cameras on top of the tables. I really did not know what they were for but assumed they were for people who forgot their own cameras (in other words, the person who took the photos kept the camera). Nope, it was for the people getting married..... unfortunately. Now while most people take their wedding photos above the table, I find it much more interesting to take my photos under the table. First of all, it is very amusing when the whole tablecloth lights up and no one knows why or what happened. And then of course there are the photos. Well, I got a little feedback from my photography: apparently I caught some old man scratching, some old woman who's thigh- highs.... were not and a couple of others. Great stuff.

Brian

You're laughing and toasting Brian, but you really don't know which one he's referring to... ::) ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com