Author Topic: Bifocal sunglasses  (Read 23770 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Bifocal sunglasses
« on: February 26, 2015, 06:24:52 AM »
I just came to the realization that I can't read my gps without my reading glasses.  :(  It appears that I'm gonna have to find some sunglasses with "cheater bifocals".  Can anyone suggest a good source? Since I never ran gps on my other bikes it hasn't been an issue. For years I've worn Ray Ban Aviators and have been spoiled by the high quality glass lenses. I've had the same pair since 2004 due to the fact that they are really difficult to scratch. Any suggestions?  (Other than a typical Google search)   Thanks
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Bifocal sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:47:12 AM »
I found some on Amazon that are pretty good. I'm not certain but I think this is them:

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-RSB-415-Rad-Sequel-Lightweight-Polycarbonate/dp/B002RS89LU/ref=pd_sim_hi_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1E6TB5E2ZT74W8E368K9

Very cheap so I bought 3. Semi wrap around so good wind protection. Over the ear is straight back so easy to put on with a full face helmet. And believe it or not the optics are reasonable. I can read my GPS no problem.

The other thing I have done with more expensive sun glasses is to use those stick on lenses like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Stick--Bifocal-Lenses-Diopter/dp/B00GHR8YWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424958337&sr=8-2&keywords=stick+on+reading+lenses

They are soft plastic and with sharp scissors and be cut down to be more rectangular. But I haven't done that since I found the other ones on Amazon.

Offline harry76

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:48:49 AM »
Sounds like it is time to go to the optometrist and get some prescription glasses.
I have been using bifocals for several years and some of the prescription style are excellent.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:54:42 AM »
Sounds like it is time to go to the optometrist and get some prescription glasses.
I have been using bifocals for several years and some of the prescription style are excellent.

I've had some excellent prescription, bifocal sunglasses/sports goggles as well. If you have a good vision plan or money is no object, that is definitely the way to go. In fact I recommend Wiley X. But even with an outstanding VSP plan my out of pocket was something like $150. When I was without insurance for almost a year, and had lost my prescription glasses is when I found the $6 glasses on amazon.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:13:26 AM »
Might try this and let us know how it works. Don't start any fires.
http://youtu.be/KUPSbrcirPg

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 07:21:50 AM »
Might try this and let us know how it works. Don't start any fires.
http://youtu.be/KUPSbrcirPg

Interesting, haven't seen that before. The video uses my exact Garmin NUVI GPS. But bifocals completely solve my issues.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:06 AM »
Thanks, Guys. I think I'll order the glasses from Amazon today and try that route. If I don't like a $6 option it doesn't hurt very bad.  :)

Speaking of Amazon, I think I might check out Prime. If I understand it correctly, you can now store music to listen to off-line without having to pay for the downloads individually. I think it comes free with Prime. If that's the case, I may opt to do that and get rid of my XM on the bike.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline clogan

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »
You might try Zenni Optical. Internet site, enter your prescription specs, and your glasses arrive in a week or so. I have two pair of bi-focal sunglasses from them, and two more pair of regular bi-focals. I have been very satisfied. You must have your prescription first, though. prices range from roughly $25-$75, depending on frames, UV coating, progressive lenses or not (I don't like them), and other optional equipment.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
I bought several pairs from "sunglass rage" good service and excellent quality at a reasonable price. I no longer carry my prescription tri-focals.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:58 AM »
Mercifully my vision at any distance over about 4 feet is still excellent. I only need glasses for the up close stuff. I will check out the other suggested sites though. I appreciate the assistance y'all are giving me!

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:07:43 AM »
I went to my local Safety Supply store in San Diego and bought some clear ANZI.72 rated safety glasses with the bifocal insert on the lower half.
Good thing about going to the Safety Store was that I brought in my helmet to see which pair would fit into my helmet.

What I also learned was that they also make safety glasses with the bifocal magnification on the upper portion of the glass, clear glass through the center and bifocal magnification on the lower portion.
If you have to look at something overhead, the dual magnification would prevent you from having to crank up your neck to focus at what your trying to read.
For those who wear bifocal and need to look up and read something, you know what I'm talking about.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:49 AM »
What I also learned was that they also make safety glasses with the bifocal magnification on the upper portion of the glass, clear glass through the center and bifocal magnification on the lower portion.
Sounds like something a commercial pilot could use with all those overhead switches and indicators. Just the opposite of what I need.  :)

Needing prescription glasses to see far normally and now of course needing close up assistance (I say now, but it's been at least 15 years, maybe 20  ::) ) I have a particular problem with my high mount GPS in that I need a far lens up top for the road, a near lens in the lower middle to see the GPS, and then a far lens in the bottom so I can see whats bouncing around in my side mirrors. I'm going to try some of (like Rhino mentioned earlier) these modified with scissors on regular set of single vision lenses to see if I can make that work.

http://www.stickonbifocals.com/

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 03:05:51 PM »
I'm going to try some of (like Rhino mentioned earlier) these modified with scissors on regular set of single vision lenses to see if I can make that work.

http://www.stickonbifocals.com/

Unfortunately I have to wear bifocals now, too.  It sucks.  Anyway, I bought the HydroTac ones (above) on Amazon a few months ago and put them in my [crazy expensive Rayban curved polarized] prescription sunglasses so they would also be readers.  They do actually work.  I had to cut them down in size some.  And they don't stick all that well, so you have to be a little careful.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 04:45:32 PM »
I just have Rayban curved polarized w/ my prescription lenses in them... bifocals too.

Target Optical using VSP.   
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »
I just have Rayban curved polarized w/ my prescription lenses in them... bifocals too.

Target Optical using VSP.

Does the polarized give you problems with you LCD screen? They do in my truck. I have to turn my head at a angle to read the LCD on the radio.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »

My Ranbans are two prescriptions out of date (7.5 years old now) and at that time, I didn't really need bifocals.  I seem to remember them also saying they couldn't put bifocals in them back then.  I can't remember for sure (since it didn't matter to me at that time).  I DO remember they were incredibly expensive... I had never spent that much on glasses before ($450?? or something insane).  But I have to admit, they were actually worth it.  Best glasses/frames ever.

Thanks for the info.  I am due now for my next eye exam, and I think it is time to consider a new pair of those, and with bifocals!

Back to the bike.... I have moderate astigmatism in both eyes, but my distance vision is still good enough that I can, THANKFULLY, get away with not wearing them on the bike.  The bike dashboard is just far enough and big enough that I can also read it.  But I admit am having a lot of trouble with the Zumo 450 now, which is much closer to me and much smaller text/info  :(   It already takes me so long to get ready to ride now, I deplore the idea of having to fool with glasses too.

BTW- there is another option too, Optix also makes a larger version of their stick-ons that might work on the helmet visor:  http://optx2020.com/p-23-hydrotac-diveoptx-stick-on-lenses-for-divers-large.aspx  A little pricey as an experiment, but maybe worth considering.  And one can probably get by with just one lens, so the other can be saved for when the first gets lost or damaged.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 05:13:42 PM »
Does the polarized give you problems with you LCD screen? They do in my truck. I have to turn my head at a angle to read the LCD on the radio.

There are two types of polarizers (that I know of)- straight and circular.  And straight can be at any angle.  Sunglasses need to use straight and vertical polarization in order to cut glare.  But many vehicle LCD screens are circularly polarized or use horizontal or diagonal polarizers to prevent interference with sunglasses.  I don't know which the Concours uses, but if it uses vertical, it would pose a problem for polarized sunglasses.

http://www.eyekit.co/information/lenses/polarizing-lenses-explained.html

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
There are two types of polarizers (that I know of)- straight and circular.  And straight can be at any angle.  Sunglasses need to use straight and vertical polarization in order to cut glare.  But many vehicle LCD screens are circularly polarized or use horizontal or diagonal polarizers to prevent interference with sunglasses.  I don't know which the Concours uses, but if it uses vertical, it would pose a problem for polarized sunglasses.

http://www.eyekit.co/information/lenses/polarizing-lenses-explained.html

Good info. That explains why I have a problem on one screen but not another.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »
The things you learn.... amazing wealth of knowledge here.

Offline RDS

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:49:14 AM »
Same problem here. I found a company called: Boomersintheknow.com
Yeah for us older folks with failing eyes. The were inexpensive and a large selection. Once you find a solution to seeing things below the handlebars you'll be glad you did.
Richard
2009 C14.   Go for a ride!